This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win2000 Boot CD

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Is there such a thing as a CD with Win2000 that you can boot from? If so, do you know how to get one? I don't mean a Win2000 installation CD…but rather one thats bootable and you run from it…sorta like a DOS boot floppy.
LD, I've been thru this site…I even emailed the owner, Ed. There is no Win2000 boot disk available here…only DOS boot disks and Win2000/XP install CDs. I need to be booted up on a Win2000 CD so I can run the Restore program to restore a .bkf file from a USB external HD to a newly installed C: drive. Such an animal doesn't seem to exist anywhere. DOS boot floppies do not read/write NTFS, nor do they recognize a USB drive without machinations to autoexec.bat and config.sys.
Yes.. there are 2k bootdisks available at bootdisk.com. Windows 2000 has 4 floppies. If your just needing a boot disk then use Windows 98 boot disk. (yes.. it will work .. and the windows 2000 install disk will also work, simply press a key at boot when it asks "press any key to boot from cd")
Ok…maybe you guys are not reading my posts correctly… I do not want to "install" Win2000…so I do not want an "install" boot disk. I just want a "stand-alone" boot disk on CD that will have an abbreviated version of Win2000 running on it. Then I can run NT Backup and restore a .bkf file that I have on my external USB HD right to the new C: drive. I don't think such a thing exists. Win98 boot disks on floppy will not read NTFS (easily). Looks like what everyone is telling me is that I must "install" Win2000 on the new HD and then do the restore. Which means that all the programs will have to be reloaded…and the drivers. So…my plan of saving all my friends C: drive to my 160GB HD, just in case they have a HD crash, will still work…but I still have to install Win2000, programs, drivers, etc on the new HD. Then do a restore of the .bkf, which will only be their user data. I was hoping to save some time here…

Ok…maybe you guys are not reading my posts correctly…I do not want to "install" Win2000…so I do not want an "install"
boot disk.

…but I still have
to install Win2000, programs, drivers, etc on the new HD.



hmm…




Anyway.. I dont think you are understanding that you can accomplish your goal with a windows 2000 cd. I take it you dont have an installation cd..?
Yes…I do have a Win2000 installation CD. I just wanted a Win2000 Boot CD that did not do an install. I thought I could boot from this CD and restore the .bkf to the new C: drive and have a running system… :rofl: silly me…

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI