pskelley
Hello Agustin and thanks for this new information. I hope something here helps as I am running out of options to try. First I need to mention that you posted a log using Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0, Scan saved at 9:02:10 PM, on 9/8/2005. While we are not looking at the new areas shown in version 1.99.1, you have two versions installed and I suggest you locate version 1.99.0 and delete it as it is no longer valid.
System File Checker: C:\$MFT is corrupt and unreadable My first question is going to be if this mouse problem coincides with installation of SP2? I have not run into this issue before and I will give you links to a few threads where you can see where others hav/had similiar issues. I must say I hav no idea if this could cause problems with your mouse drivers.
http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/index8/Corrupt%20file.php
This post has received no responses but seems to suggest the problem may have started with a Windows update?
http://www.allforums.net/showthread.php?threadid=8819
This one suggest using the recovery console?
http://www.miclasificado.com.ar/cgi/News/i…un_chkdsk_f.php
Tell you what, since Google locates: Results 1 - 10 of about 628 for C:\$MFT is corrupt and unreadable, I am posting the Google link for you.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc…+and+unreadable
If I have not done so before, I suggest you post at: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=83 in the event that some of the fine folks who monitor that forum have experienced this error message before. Since it is obvious you are not the only one who gets this message and it seems to be SP2, or Windows Updates related, here is the one number I have: The number in US/Canada is 888-SP2-HELP If that is not the right number as I have not dialed it in a while, ask if they will give you the correct toll free number or transfer you to it. Here is also another resource for folks that number won't work for: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
Installed Programs: In looking over this I would first suggest that now, while you have the list in front of you would be a good time to review what you have installed. If you do not know what they are, you should find out, and if you no longer use or never used, it might be a good time to uninstall them. I don't recognize all that you have installed, but nothing jumps out at me except:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/
http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml
I would check the version of Limewire to make sure it is not coming at the expense of bundled spyware. I also see this: Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 and earlier instructions in this thread would have updated you to version 1.04. You should check this.
Your version of Firefox is outdated, newest version is 1.0.5.
EWIDO SCAN RESULTS: You need to run Ewido again, at least to get to these items. You ignored them and they should be removed:
C:\Documents and Settings\Agustin Fallas\Desktop\uninstall6_76.exe -> Spyware.NewDotNet : Ignored
C:\uninstall6_76.exe -> Spyware.NewDotNet : Ignored
Most are tracking cookies (Ewido calls it like it is SPYWARE) and you should clean these on a regular basis. There is an option under Applications to have CCleaner remove them. Make sure your version is: v1.23.160.
HIJACKTHIS LOG: Beside the outdated version of the log, I see no evidence of any malware in your log: Scan saved at 9:02:10 PM, on 9/8/2005
Thanks…Phil
System File Checker: C:\$MFT is corrupt and unreadable My first question is going to be if this mouse problem coincides with installation of SP2? I have not run into this issue before and I will give you links to a few threads where you can see where others hav/had similiar issues. I must say I hav no idea if this could cause problems with your mouse drivers.
http://www.alegsa.com.ar/Visitas/index8/Corrupt%20file.php
This post has received no responses but seems to suggest the problem may have started with a Windows update?
http://www.allforums.net/showthread.php?threadid=8819
This one suggest using the recovery console?
http://www.miclasificado.com.ar/cgi/News/i…un_chkdsk_f.php
Tell you what, since Google locates: Results 1 - 10 of about 628 for C:\$MFT is corrupt and unreadable, I am posting the Google link for you.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc…+and+unreadable
If I have not done so before, I suggest you post at: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=83 in the event that some of the fine folks who monitor that forum have experienced this error message before. Since it is obvious you are not the only one who gets this message and it seems to be SP2, or Windows Updates related, here is the one number I have: The number in US/Canada is 888-SP2-HELP If that is not the right number as I have not dialed it in a while, ask if they will give you the correct toll free number or transfer you to it. Here is also another resource for folks that number won't work for: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
Installed Programs: In looking over this I would first suggest that now, while you have the list in front of you would be a good time to review what you have installed. If you do not know what they are, you should find out, and if you no longer use or never used, it might be a good time to uninstall them. I don't recognize all that you have installed, but nothing jumps out at me except:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/
http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml
I would check the version of Limewire to make sure it is not coming at the expense of bundled spyware. I also see this: Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 and earlier instructions in this thread would have updated you to version 1.04. You should check this.
Your version of Firefox is outdated, newest version is 1.0.5.
EWIDO SCAN RESULTS: You need to run Ewido again, at least to get to these items. You ignored them and they should be removed:
C:\Documents and Settings\Agustin Fallas\Desktop\uninstall6_76.exe -> Spyware.NewDotNet : Ignored
C:\uninstall6_76.exe -> Spyware.NewDotNet : Ignored
Most are tracking cookies (Ewido calls it like it is SPYWARE) and you should clean these on a regular basis. There is an option under Applications to have CCleaner remove them. Make sure your version is: v1.23.160.
HIJACKTHIS LOG: Beside the outdated version of the log, I see no evidence of any malware in your log: Scan saved at 9:02:10 PM, on 9/8/2005
Thanks…Phil