This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

WHAT? It's baaack! Help!

32 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't see much there.

I suggest you do this:



Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE

O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\TempEI4\EI40_\msxml4.cab


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"



Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.




Open C:\Windows\Prefetch\ Delete ALL files in this folder.



Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY LISTED PROFILE USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.


Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
LDTate:
A couple of things:
I could not find the folder "Prefetch" in Windows; and when I went to "start, run, C:\Windows\Prefetch\" I got a message that the folder was either missing or moved.
I did all the rest of the items you told me to do and I am posting the new hijack this logfile below. Interestingly, after I rebooted following the safe mode stuff, I ran CCleaner first thing. It found a bunch of stuff, including some that said "temp"…. I cleaned it all out. Maybe that's nothing, but I just thought I would tell you.
The computer seems to be running fine, except that I keep getting these pop-in messages that say "urgent message, some files are corrupted, please download [regfix]. Each time it pops up, there is a different thing that it says I should download. It only happens when I am on-line; and appears to me to be a scam, because it isn't the warning that you get from your "system" when Windows 2000 finds something wrong. If you can determine the program that is causing this I would appreciate it.
Before I post the hijack this log for you, I copied and pasted a few lines from the log so that I could ask you about them. Could you tell me if they are really needed? I always hate to have things running/installed that I don't use or need. Here they are:

O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
I don't know what this is - do I need it?
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo Scheduler server.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD4PR\SchSvr.exe
I'm not sure about this either; "intervideo" is something that came either with the new monitor or the new processor, so I don't know anything about it yet.
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
Again, I don't know if I need this running
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\WMP11 Config Utility\WMP11Cfg.exe
I know what this is, but I no longer have another computer networked to me. The card was left in for the future, do I need this at start-up?
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
Do I need this plug-in for anything? Don't know if it got downloaded when I wasn't looking!
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
What's this?
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe
"Diskeeper Lite came when I got the new processor installed. It appears as if it is a program that I will have to pay for if I want to keep it. Is is a necessary thing - is it the same program as the "system" disk cleaner and defrag?
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
Again, do I need this on?

Okay, now here is the whole hijack this log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:26:45 AM, on 9/29/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 SP4 (5.00.2920.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imonnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imontray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\FastTVSync\FastTVSync.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\FarStone\RestoreIT!\RestoreIT!_2K\VBPTASK.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb01.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox\StatusClient\StatusClient.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\hpha2mon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~2\ONETOU~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Mouse Software\1.0\lwbwheel.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\BMUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD4PR\SchSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\WMP11 Config Utility\WMP11Cfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox\jre\bin\javaw.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\HPHipm08.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINNT\msagent\AgentSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMONTRAY] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imontray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FastTVSync] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\FastTVSync\FastTVSync.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SonicFocus] "C:\Program Files\Sonic Focus\SFIGUI\SFIGUI.EXE" BOOT
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [farstone] NULL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RestoreIT!] "C:\Program Files\FarStone\RestoreIT!\RestoreIT!_2K\VBPTASK.EXE" VBStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb01.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StatusClient 2.6] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox\StatusClient\StatusClient.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TomcatStartup 2.5] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox\hpbpsttp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHA2MON] C:\WINNT\system32\hpha2mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpfsched] C:\WINNT\hpfsched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OneTouch Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~2\ONETOU~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Mouse Software\1.0\lwbwheel.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BMUpdate] C:\WINNT\system32\BMUpdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo Scheduler server.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD4PR\SchSvr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks 2001 Delivery Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\qbdagent2001.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\WMP11 Config Utility\WMP11Cfg.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30985566-E01F-11D2-85DB-EA44DE000000} (IRTHMapDisplay Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…HMapDisplay.cab
O16 - DPF: {62789780-B744-11D0-986B-00609731A21D} (Autodesk MapGuide ActiveX Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…ry/mgaxctrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1126233695468
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Proxy Service (ccPxySvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Active Monitor (imonNT) - Intel Corp. - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imonnt.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Accounts Manager (NISUM) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINNT\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

Thank you LD
Sorry LD, I didn't mean to put that whole section in blue. I only wanted to put my comments in blue so it would be easier for you to tell my comments from the hijackthis file. I just did it wrong.
To remove the ability for anyone in the world to pop up messages on your computer, you can disable the Messenger service. Its easy to reverse at a later time if you wish to do so. Windows 2000 1.Click Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools->Services 2.Scroll down and highlight "Messenger" 3.Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties. 4.Click the STOP button. 5.Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar 6.Click OK The files you listed are all OK and not hurting anything. I'd leave them.
Okay then. LDTate - Thank you for all of your help. I guess we're done here; I'm gonna miss talking to you! Definitely will keep Coyote Forums on my favorites list though, you guys are the best. :wavey:
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI