This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

WHAT? It's baaack! Help!

32 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:o I can't believe it! It's back. My original post was under the following thread: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/lofiversion/in…php/t41485.html I left all of the spyware/adware/virus programs in that I used before - I can't believe this thing got past all of them. I am starting to suspect that it's coming directly from MSN!
Here is the hijack this log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:42:23 AM, on 8/4/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Mouse Software\1.0\lwbwheel.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\ONETOU~2.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\hpha2mon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\msoffice.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\HPHipm08.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Mouse Software\1.0\lwbwheel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OneTouch Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\ONETOU~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHA2MON] C:\WINNT\system32\hpha2mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpfsched] C:\WINNT\hpfsched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtray.exe SetReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtrdr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {30985566-E01F-11D2-85DB-EA44DE000000} (IRTHMapDisplay Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…HMapDisplay.cab
O16 - DPF: {62789780-B744-11D0-986B-00609731A21D} (Autodesk MapGuide ActiveX Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…ry/mgaxctrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…rl/SymAData.cab
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

I have ZoneAlarm, Norton System Works and Microsoft AntiSpyware running constantly. I havn't run any of the following yet, but I will as soon as I am done posting: AdAware SE latest version; Spybot S & D latest version; CCleaner; RegCleaner; and ewido security suite.

LDTate - are you still available? Do I need to tweak something so I can stop this thing? I will run the above programs and save the logs to have them ready for you in case you want them. What a bugger this thing is! :rant2:
I don't see anything bad in your log.

please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.


Then please run Ewido, click on the Scanner run a full scan and let it clean everything it finds. Save the logfile from the scan.


Restart your computer in normal mode and please post a new HijackThis log, as well as the log from the Ewido scan.
Nice to talk to you again LDTate-I wish it wasn't for this pesky problem though! :(
Here are the two logs:

ewido security suite - Scan report
———————————————————

+ Created on: 9:30:26 AM, 8/15/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 56F0CFE0

+ Scan result:

No infected objects found.


::Report End

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:34:27 AM, on 8/15/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Mouse Software\1.0\lwbwheel.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\ONETOU~2.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\hpha2mon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\msoffice.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\HPHipm08.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Mouse Software\1.0\lwbwheel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OneTouch Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\ONETOU~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHA2MON] C:\WINNT\system32\hpha2mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpfsched] C:\WINNT\hpfsched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtray.exe SetReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtrdr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {30985566-E01F-11D2-85DB-EA44DE000000} (IRTHMapDisplay Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…HMapDisplay.cab
O16 - DPF: {62789780-B744-11D0-986B-00609731A21D} (Autodesk MapGuide ActiveX Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…ry/mgaxctrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1123861172062
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1123861135539
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…rl/SymAData.cab
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Thanks for the help - again!
Doris
:o What do you mean, "What problem"? I thought you knew?! As I stated in the post, the original problem that I had from the post back in July is back. Whenever I try to search from the address bar I get redirected to http://1dial.search-results-site.com
You helped me get rid of it but after a week, it is back again.
Sorry, I thought you forgot about me, I didn't check my e-mail right away. Here is the latest hijack this log. The scan was done while in safe mode.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:19:14 AM, on 8/29/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec Mouse Software\1.0\lwbwheel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OneTouch Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\ONETOU~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHA2MON] C:\WINNT\system32\hpha2mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpfsched] C:\WINNT\hpfsched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtray.exe SetReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtrdr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {30985566-E01F-11D2-85DB-EA44DE000000} (IRTHMapDisplay Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…HMapDisplay.cab
O16 - DPF: {62789780-B744-11D0-986B-00609731A21D} (Autodesk MapGuide ActiveX Control) - https://irth.digsafelynewyork.com/IrthInter…ry/mgaxctrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1123861172062
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1123861135539
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…rl/SymAData.cab
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

I don't know what more you want me to explain about how my computer is acting - I have been saying the same thing over and over. When I try to search from the address bar, I get re-directed to the site that I put down in my last post.
Please download ewido Security Suite
  • Install ewido security suite
  • When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu."
  • Launch ewido, there should be a big "E" icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  • The program will prompt you to update click the "OK" button
  • The program will now go to the main screen

    You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start

    The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed. After the updates are installed, exit ewido.

    Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • If you have an "always on" connection to the internet, physically disconnect that connection until you are finished with Safe Mode and have rebooted back into normal mode.
  • Reboot into Safe Mode, you can do this by restarting your computer, then contiunally tapping F8 until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter. Then, run ewido.
  • Close all open windows/programs/folders. Have nothing else open while ewido performs its scan!
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Settings
    • Under "How to scan" all boxes should be selected
    • Under "Possibly unwanted software" all boxes should be selected
    • Under "What to scan" select scan every file
    • Click OK
  • Click on Complete system scan
  • Let the program scan the machine
  • If ewido finds anything, it will pop up a notification. NOTE: We have been finding some cases of false positives with the new version of Ewido, so we need to step through the fixes one-by-one. If Ewido finds something that you KNOW is legitimate (for example, parts of AVG Antivirus, AOL, pcAnywhere and the game "Risk" have been flagged. In particular, watch for alerts that have the word "Heuristic" in them - if you recognize the file name as "friendly," these may actually be false positives) select "none" as the action. DO NOT check "Perform action with all infections." If you are unsure of an entry, select "none" for the time being. I'll see that in the log you will post later and let you know if ewido needs to be run again.

    Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report.
  • Click Save report
  • Save the report to your desktop
  • Exit ewido

Restart your computer in normal mode and please post a new HijackThis log, as well as the log from the Ewido scan.
:angry:
LDTate:
I was so pleased with this site when you helped me with this problem last month that I made a donation. Then when the same problem occured within one week, I got a tiny bit skeptical. Now, YOU'RE WASTING MY TIME, AND YOU TOOK MY MONEY.
Following are quotes from THIS THREAD, if you had bothered to read what I have been writing to you.

Your message to me on AUG. 4 - "Then please run Ewido, click on the Scanner run a full scan and let it clean everything it finds. Save the logfile from the scan.


Restart your computer in normal mode and please post a new HijackThis log, as well as the log from the Ewido scan."

My post back to you on AUG 15:
ewido security suite - Scan report
———————————————————

+ Created on: 9:30:26 AM, 8/15/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 56F0CFE0

+ Scan result:

No infected objects found.


In your last message to me you asked for a new Hijack This log. the following is from the hijack this log-
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

If you go back and re-read this thread, you will see that you have done nothing but ask me questions that I have already answered, told me to do things that I have already done and posted, and we have wasted over two weeks. I know you are voluntering your services, and I know that this is a busy site, but if you can't help me, please let me know and I will try someplace else and chaulk my donation up to a lesson learned.

Before replying to you YESTERDAY I did the following. Please take the time to read this so you don't ask me to repeat myself again.
Ad-Aware was run - 7 negligable objects found - deleted; No other objects found
Spybot S & D was run - No immediate threats; all negligable objects were deleted
CCleaner was run - all found items were removed
EWIDO WAS RUN IN SAFE MODE - NOTHING FOUND
Microsoft Anitspyware Beta was run in safe mode - Nothing found
Spyware Doctor was run - nothing was found

I apologize for being upset with you - but you have to admit if you read this whole thread, I have reason to be.
Doris
Doris

Would V-V's post in this forum all2easydialup
be what you are experiencing, it sounds like it may be your ISP has it so anything typed into the address bar without the URL/HTTP (WWW.) is redirected to 1dial.

Might want to check with them, if on the other hand you don't want the hassle, go Firefox, they have a useful address bar where it will automatically prefix the URL/HTTP (WWW) for any website listed. :)
Thanks Beowulf, but that is not the problem. While those guys are bantering back and forth and attacking each other, this pest is bigger than what they think. It isn't as easy as the isp All2Easy causing the re-direct. I know this because I don't have All2Easy, never heard of them, and my isp is the first person that I went to when I started having the problem. Although I got pretty frustrated with LDTate up above, I fully believe that he is an expert at getting to the bottom of things, and this pest has even eluded him. I will remain patient with LD because I believe he'll find the problem. I don't want to go to firefox and get another search bar because I feel that it will only mask the problem, and I want to get rid of it - there's something attached in my computer and I want it out! IE give the option to "search from the address bar" and I think that users should be able to do just that. Thank you for the input though, it helps me to know that there are others out there haveing the same problem; which means that someone else will find the solution!!
LDTate: I double clicked on the address that you gave me. It opened a window that asked if I was sure I wanted to do it because it changes a setting. I said yes and it downloaded. I went to IE and tried a search, but I still got redirected. Thinking that I might have to restart the computer to finalize the install, I restarted. I connected and went to IE and tried another search. Still got redirected. Then I thought that maybe I messed things up by connecting right after the download instead of restarting. So I went back to the link you gave me, downloaded it again, and restarted immediately. But I still get redirected. I decided to go to ADD/REMOVE programs and try to do the IE repair. By mistake, I deleted an IE Patch, but then I went to the Microsoft Internet Explorer program, clicked on the CHANGE/REMOVE, got the window asking if I wanted to repair, or revert to the previous version. I clicked on repair; restarted the computer. Still got redirected. I went to Microsoft Windows Update and checked for updates, and I think I have them all except the Validation something or other. Could this be attached to one of the programs that opens at startup? Could this be attached to my server settings instead of IE? I have an independant ISP (not AOL, MSN, Net Zero etc.) This is so frustrating.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI