I've had this problem for two days now. My default search page in Internet Explorer has been hijacked to 1dial search-results-site.cm and I cannot change it. Avast, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Pestscan has not helped me find the culprit. Ewido Security found this key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}
which removed the key but when I type in anything in the address bar, it STILL takes me to the same page. Could this be a problem that can be fixed in the hosts file or is it a DNS issue? I have Zonealarm and there seems to be no peculiar traffic going on, and since I'm a glutton for punishment I'm not switching to FireFox just yet. Any help would be appreciated.
If you would like your machine checked for malware (virii, trojans, worms, and browser hijackers), please do this:
Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
Download HijackThis into this folder.
Click "Do a system scan and save a log file".
DO NOT "FIX" ANYTHING WITH IT YET!!!
FIXING THE WRONG THING COULD RENDER YOUR SYSTEM INOPERABLE!!!
Go to this forum:
HijackThis Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal
Go to the bottom of the page and click on New Thread, and "copy/paste" the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the log file into THAT thread, along with a description of the problems you are experiencing.
Lianthe-
Just got done with this same problem. Do what Micah has suggested and post in the forum that Micah has directed you to. My thread is at this link if you want to read through it: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=41485 But your situation might be slightly different so do the post as he has said. These guys are great; this bugger was really had to find, and I went to 5 other sites over a two week period of trying to find help every day, before finding TomCoyote Forums. I was so impressed I made a donation - I wish I could have done more.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI