maynard,
Did all the steps, including downloading and installing all the software you linked. A question or two:
Do the various 'Blasters, 'Guards, etc. simply operate in the background once installed, or do I need to open and activate them at specific times?
I tried to update my AdAware database and got an error, so I went to their site and downloaded the latest version and installed it fresh. Then it updated OK, and a new scan found 48 tracking cookies, which I eliminated.
I already had the latest version of Spybot (1.3), but when I try to download updates, they all give me "bad checksum" errors. Tried downloading and reinstalling the whole program to no avail. Running a scan (with the un-updated data) did find 5 DSO problems (now fixed) and 17 more bad products to immunize against, so I'm not sure if the update took or not. Any idea if the update problem is related to anything we've done (firewall, etc.?), or is it just a problem with the Spybot update server?
This machine is running well now (thanks!), and I want to keep it that way. With that in mind, one more question:
There's some overlap of function between the SpywareBlaster, ZoneAlarm and AVG. Email scanning, for example. Is it best to have all of them doing all they can, or do they end up interfering with each other? Is there an optimum setup when using all these together?
Thanks very much!
Spywareblaster adds sites, cookies and activex controls to the restricted list in your browser. It doesn't run in the background at all.
Just check for updates about once a week, enable all protection and close the program.
Iespyad works similarly. It adds known bad sites to your restricted sites zone.
You don't need to worry about this one any more either.
Just occasionally check the website for updates.
I personally don't run spywareguard anymore so I'm not as familiar with that product as I probably should be.
I don't remember having any problems when I ran that, Zone Alarm and AVG at the same time. I believe they compliment each other.
In fact if you look at the mail option on Zone Alarm, It says it is a compliment to AV software.
Remember though, the best protection you can use is safe surfing habits and windows updates.
Don't click yes, if you don't know what you're getting.
maynard,
Thanks so much for all your help.
I am having one firewall issue you may be able to help me resolve. Zone Alarm appears to be blocking our ability to use an essential toolbar on a web-based application we use (we're in real estate, it's our local multiple listing service). The toolbar is a Java applet (I believe) and the drop down items simply do nothing if Zone Alarm is running. If I shut ZA down, the menus work fine.
I'm sure there are some settings I could customize in Zone Alarm to solve this, but I took a look and soon determined I'd be better off to ask than to experiment.
Suggestions?
Thanks again!
This is the activex control that you need to allow.
There are two basic types of firewall in Zone Alarm.
You can pick which programs you want to allow access to and from, or which IP addresses you want to trust.
First I would go to the program control menu on the right and select the program tab on the top. If you see the activex control listed there or the Java applet, allow it to access the web. If that doesn't work, allow it to act as a server.
If you can't find the program listed there, you may need to ad the IP address to your trusted zone.
If I've read your log correctly, http://www.wncrmls.com/ is the site you are having problems with.
If this is true, [removed] is the IP address you need to trust.
If this site has a static IP than you are in business.
If their IP changes, you will need to change your trusted IP as the IP of the site changes.
I'm sure I made this explanation about as clear as mud
If you have any questions please ask and I will try to do a better job of explaining it.
maynard,
I've been meaning to get back here and say thanks for helping me get this machine running well again. You're last suggestion for the Zone Alarm settings was the final piece of the puzzle.
Thanks for all your help!
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.
Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.