I suppose it could be circumstantial. When the system rebooted a popup from Microsoft asked to send a report and then took me to a knowledge base file about Driver conflicts.
Might be unrelated but the timing was odd.
Running the scan with McAfee now.
Just out of curiosity, what does the "bubble" say when you put the cursor on that file?
If I send you (private message) an email address to send me that file, would you?
I'd like to peek at it and scan it with my antivirus.
The bubble has only the following information when cursor moves over rdssrv.exe: Date Created 7/16/2003, 4:47 pm, Size 32.9 KB
If you want me to ship the file somewhere, let me know.
Thanks again.
And maybe he can send it to me. You don't have permission to use the personal messenger yet. I think you have to have made 15 posts before you get that "privilege".
Micah,
I believe the issue has been resolved. I opened up a forum dialogue again with McAfee and received some terrific assistance. You may be interested to know that McAfee determined the virus was loading from the dll file, rdshost.dll with Explorer.exe (my desktop/start menu). They noted that HiJackThis was reporting this file as missing (therefore, analysts looking at the log would logically think the file was already removed and not a problem), but rdshost.dll had injected its code into explorer.exe – McAfee surmised that caused the downloading or reinstalling of the file whenever it was removed. SO, it was a more complex issue than it first appeared. Thanks much for your help, which in conjunction with the superb attention received today from McAfee seem to have finally cleared my computer of this problem after nearly four months of perplexing challenges.
Best regards,
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI