This computer has Windows 2000 and needs desperate help cleaning out malware. The first setp I took was CleanUp! 4.0. After rebooting the machine, I log in and get a window that's called Program Error, it says has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. The option to choose is Cancel. If I don't click anything, I can see the program opening multiple minimized windows. Ctrl+Alt+Del and shutdown is the only way to break the cycle. It does the same in safe mode. Any help to get this process stopped would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Try booting into Safe-mode with command prompt only. You will get into a black screen with someting that looks like (assuming your using the C drive):
C:\
Now type the following:
cd "C:\Program Files\CleanUp!\" (press enter)
del "cleanup.exe" (press enter and once done, press Ctrl+Alt+DEL to reboot)
Once you re-boot, you should get an error, this is OK.
Un-install Clean-Up from the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel and re-boot again. This time there should be no errors.
Hope this helps
I was able to boot into Safe Mode - Command Prompt Only.
Changed Directory to CleanUp! and deleted cleanup.exe.
I still have the same issue after reboot. Tried to reboot again. Still there. I cannot do anything but click cancel and it will redraw the desktop and it comes up again. If I don't click cancel, it will repeat and show all the instances on the bottom task bar.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Mmm.. Can you get into Windows and run other programs? You didn't make this clear.
Can you try re-booting, but right after you log-in (or enter your password), hold the Shift button on the keyboard. Make sure you hold it.
Doing so will prevent starting-up applications on log-in. I still dont know why it would start-up in Safe-mode though.
If you could launch other programs, do a Hijack This log and post it in the "HijackThis Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal" forum. I wont be able to help you, but I'm sure others will be happy to.
If worst comes to worst, you might have to do a repair install or a registry restore.
No, I can't run any Windows apps, I get the reoccurring error, clear the errors as they appear or do nothing and they reoccurr, windows on top of each other showing on the bar on the bottom showing programs that are open.
Before I ran CleanUp! to cause this problem, I did run HJT and saved a log. If I boot into SafeMode Command Prompt, maybe I could copy the HJT log file on floppy and post it in Malware Removal Forum.
Can you point me to walk throughs on the repair install or a registry restore?
Thanks again for your help!
Hey fbelzile
I tried the "holding the Shift key at login" and had the same results. I was able to post a HJT file., we'll see what malware forum says.
Thanks
Hey cboy
I'm running Windows 2000, it looked like your link refered to XP only, or did I miss something?
Thanks
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI