This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Browser redirection

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Total newbie here! Never posted anything before, please forgive my ignorance.
I have downloaded and run Adaware, Spybot S&D, Ultimate Troubleshooter, CWshredder and Hijackthis. I am using F-prot antivirus for Windows.
I have run MS Windows Security Update dated Feb 2004 from CD. I was using Juno as ISP but have uninstalled and deleted all Juno programs and files and am using local ISP. Dialup only. Machine works much better but I still get redirected when using Google and other search engines. Usually get web page titled "Visit our Sponsor" or "adopt.specificclick.com".
I would be very grateful for any help! Thank you!

Here is my HJT log file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:40:57 PM, on 6/29/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222B)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\COMPAQ\INTERNET\ISDBDC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CIJ3P2PS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CIJ2P2PS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FSI\F-PROT\F-STOPW.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://desktop.presario.net/scripts/redire…&LC;=0409&c;=1c00
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.juno.com/search/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.augwest.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…archbar&LC;=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {08227B4B-54FE-4C4D-809F-BCA46292FC5B} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: CExtension Object - {0019C3E2-DD48-4A6D-ABCD-8D32436323D9} - C:\WINDOWS\CFGMGR52.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] systray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CIJ3P2PSERVER] CIJ3P2PS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CIJ2P2PSERVER] CIJ2P2PS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-STOPW.EXE] "C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\F-STOPW.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cfgmgr52] RunDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\CFGMGR52.DLL,DllRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [isdbdc] c:\compaq\internet\isdbdc.exe
O9 - Extra button: Translate - {06FE5D05-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AV &Translate - {06FE5D05-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {06FE5D02-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Find Pages Linking to this URL - {06FE5D02-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {06FE5D03-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Find Other Pages on this &Host - {06FE5D03-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Your PC is infected with Spyware - click here to fix your PC - {FB74C951-ACA1-4e33-A94C-A9261EB2CCB7} - https://www.spydeleter.com/order2.php?KBID=1063 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Juno - {568408E0-05C8-11D6-A1ED-846A1E477C28} - juno.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.taxsoftware.com
O16 - DPF: BtaxBase - http://www.taxsoftware.com/BTAXBase.CAB
O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200404…meInstaller.exe
OK, I seem to have slipped thru the cracks…

Since my first post I have been voraciosly reading other posts and info trying to learn what I might do to help myself. I have learned just enough to be dangerous! My machine is running very well now but I may have gone a tad too far. The "My Assistant" button on the TomCoyote page no longer seems to work ,and when I see the message "Please wait while you are transferred" nothing happens unless I click "If you don't want to wait, click here".
Here is what I have done since my last post:
Downloaded and installed all Windows 98 Critical Updates that I could.
Downloaded the latest Ad-Aware SE Personal and SpyBot Search and Destroy (Ver 1.4) and ran them.
Downloaded the latest antivirus definition files from F-Prot and ran that.
Removed the following files with HJT:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CIJ3P2PS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CIJ2P2PS.EXE
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.juno.com/search/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {08227B4B-54FE-4C4D-809F-BCA46292FC5B} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CIJ3P2PSERVER] CIJ3P2PS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CIJ2P2PSERVER] CIJ2P2PS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cfgmgr52] RunDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\CFGMGR52.DLL,DllRun
O9 - Extra button: Your PC is infected with Spyware - click here to fix your PC - {FB74C951-ACA1-4e33-A94C-A9261EB2CCB7} - https://www.spydeleter.com/order2.php?KBID=1063 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Juno - {568408E0-05C8-11D6-A1ED-846A1E477C28} - juno.exe (file missing) (HKCU)

I then made the following changes to my Internet Zone security: Slider to high
Privacy Slider to one less than high.

My machine runs much better and my browser doesn't seem to get redirected any more but I'm sure it's not quite right yet.
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could review this latest HJT log and give me some direction.

Thank you very much!!!





Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:20:46 AM, on 7/4/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222B)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\COMPAQ\INTERNET\ISDBDC.EXE
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FSI\F-PROT\F-STOPW.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TEATIMER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://desktop.presario.net/scripts/redire…&LC;=0409&c;=1c00
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.augwest.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…archbar&LC;=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] systray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-STOPW.EXE] "C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\F-STOPW.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [isdbdc] c:\compaq\internet\isdbdc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O9 - Extra button: Translate - {06FE5D05-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AV &Translate - {06FE5D05-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {06FE5D02-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Find Pages Linking to this URL - {06FE5D02-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {06FE5D03-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Find Other Pages on this &Host - {06FE5D03-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.taxsoftware.com
O16 - DPF: BtaxBase - http://www.taxsoftware.com/BTAXBase.CAB
O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200404…meInstaller.exe
Hello pizzadad and welcome to TomCoyote. :wavey:

You have actually removed a few legitimate entries in your log. Hopefully it was just the registry entries and the files are still present.

Did you delete any files from your computer during the fix?

These are the ones I'm concerned about. They are for a Lexmark/Compaq printer. Do you have this brand of printer?
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CIJ3P2PS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CIJ2P2PS.EXE


Let me know the answer to these questions and post a fresh HijackThis log into this topic.
Alan,
You guys are so cool…Thanks for looking at my post, I know you must be swamped.
OK, my kids fed yogurt to the printer so I have no printer right now.
I ran Ad-Aware SE and Spybot in safe mode and found nothing new.
Ran F-prot for Windows in safe mode and it remarks on three "suspicious files" which have been archived by Spybot.
I also backed off my Internet Zone and Privacy sliders one notch each and this website seems to function fine now.

Here is my latest HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:12:39 PM, on 7/10/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222B)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\COMPAQ\INTERNET\ISDBDC.EXE
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FSI\F-PROT\F-STOPW.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TEATIMER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://desktop.presario.net/scripts/redire…&LC;=0409&c;=1c00
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.augwest.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…archbar&LC;=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] systray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-STOPW.EXE] "C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\F-STOPW.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [isdbdc] c:\compaq\internet\isdbdc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O9 - Extra button: Translate - {06FE5D05-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AV &Translate - {06FE5D05-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {06FE5D02-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Find Pages Linking to this URL - {06FE5D02-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {06FE5D03-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Find Other Pages on this &Host - {06FE5D03-8F11-11d2-804F-00105A133818} - http://search.presario.net/scripts/redirec…&c;=1c00&lc;=0409 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.taxsoftware.com
O16 - DPF: BtaxBase - http://www.taxsoftware.com/BTAXBase.CAB
O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200404…meInstaller.exe
That appears to be a clean log. :)
You will most likely have to reinstall the printer software if you get the printer working again.

I suggest that you get these programs to help keep the computer clean:

Spyware Blaster - Blocks bad ActiveX items from installing on your computer. Spyware Blaster runs silently in the background.
SpywareGuard - Real-time protection from spyware installation attempts
ie-spyad - Puts over 8,000 bad URLs into your restricted sites for Internet Explorer.
Google Toolbar - Blocks many unwanted pop-ups in Internet Explorer.
Firefox - 'Safer' alternative to the Internet Explorer web browser.
ZoneAlarm - Free firewall program if you currently are not using one.

Update these regularly.

You may also want to read "How did I get infected in the first place" to learn how to better secure your computer.

Be sure to keep Windows and your Anti-virus updated.
Alan, Great! Thanks a lot! I don't think I will get that old printer to work but now that my machine works better I will get another one. I will definately install the programs you suggested!!! I will certainly do what I can to help support the website. Thanks again, John
As this topic has been resolved, the thread will be closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link:
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI