This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Dumb question: Getting rid of msconfig window

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. Last time I visited, you guys helped me out greatly concerning a spyware issue I was having. I followed all the steps you told me to and it worked about great. However, I must have forgotten to check something or unclick something because for some reason, every time I restart my PC, this msconfig window pops up:

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)

How can I make this stop from happening?

On perhaps an unrelated note, one more dumb question. Whenever I attempt to Run->Regedit, I get this:

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)

I need to change my registry for something, but I can't because of this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck
The first box (MSCONFIG) will always come up as long as you have "Selective Startup" checked. What do you have disabled in there, and why?

Can you navigate to this folder:

C:\Windows\system32

Find the autoexec.nt file, open it with Notepad, and post it's contents here?
Hmm…okay, the first problem was easy enough to fix. However, as far as the second problem goes, I can't find this file: C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt Is it under \Windows\system32\?
That's where it's supposed to be…. :scratch:

Before you do anything, try this:

Go to:

Start > Run

In the box, type regedit.exe then press (or click OK)

I noticed in the pic you supplied, your machine is trying to run a "com" file when it should be running an "exe" file instead.

If that doesn't fix you up here is a link to a solution:

Autoexec.nt Solution

Please post back & let me know how things are progressing. :)
Wow, I have the mental prowress of one of these:

[external image: Posted Image]

All this time, I was typing "regedit.com" instead of "regedit.exe." It works just fine with my hooves type the right command. Thank you for catching that/helping me.

Chuck
Shazaam!!!

You and I must be mental twins!!!! :weee:

I'm just glad it works now, and we were able to help.

GOD bless you and yours!

M68 :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI