This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows defender turned off

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I'm trying to run some realtime spyware protection and I've installed Windows Defender. Every time I boot up my computer it is turned off. When I click on it, I get the following message:
[external image: Posted Image]

If I try starting it from the services.msc, I get the following:
[external image: Posted Image]

I tried SpywareGuard instead, but when trying to install, I get the following error:
[external image: Posted Image]


Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Do you have Windows Live Once Care also installed? It doesn't co-exist very well with WD. Also, what other security software do you have installed? Is the date and time on your computer set correctly?
No, I don't have Live One Care installed. I have AVG 9 free edition, Outpost Firewall 2009 and Malwarebytes free version. Yes. Time and date are set correctly. Thanks!
Thanks Jacee! That allowed me to install Spyware Gurad, so I guess I no longer need Windows Defender. I installed Spyware blaster as well. I'm still curious about what went wrong with Windows Defender though.

Thanks Jacee! That allowed me to install Spyware Gurad, so I guess I no longer need Windows Defender. I installed Spyware blaster as well.
I'm still curious about what went wrong with Windows Defender though.

You're most welcome.

I have always had problems with Windows Defender. I have disabled it on Vista and Windows 7 by going into Services, right clicking on it, choosing properties and setting it to 'disabled'.
For some people it works, but I don't have time to mess with something that causes more problems than I care to mess with ;)

Thanks Jacee! That allowed me to install Spyware Gurad, so I guess I no longer need Windows Defender. I installed Spyware blaster as well.
I'm still curious about what went wrong with Windows Defender though.

You're most welcome.

I have always had problems with Windows Defender. I have disabled it on Vista and Windows 7 by going into Services, right clicking on it, choosing properties and setting it to 'disabled'.
For some people it works, but I don't have time to mess with something that causes more problems than I care to mess with ;)


I just went ahead and uninstalled Windows Defender. Spyware Guard seems to be doing the trick just fine now that it's installed.

Thanks again!
Download and install (free) MalwareBytes' Anti-Spyware program (instead of Windows Defender).

Instructions:
download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop
http://majorgeeks.com/download5756.html

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

Look for updates and scan often :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI