This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

16-bit window subsystem error....Help

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently had my computer 'tuned up' by a comp. tech when I had a new cd drive installed. Now, I am trying to load some programs for my business, and I am getting an error message reading…"16-bit error window subsystem…" C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT……..not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. As I was trying to install the software, the tech that was taking me through the walk-through, said that there was probably a problem with my BIOS….does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks Maryann
Do you have the Windows installation cd handy..? if so put it in, click on start… then run.. then type command. At the prompt type SFC /scannow ….this will run SFC (system file checker) which will replace/repair/add any system files corrupt/missing/etc.
Actually, Windows came loaded on the hard drive, so I don't have a disc……is it possible to do this without the disk???
Yes.. it is and may be. Usually the manufacturer… say Dell for exmple.. will burn an image of the install disk onto the physical drive. Go ahead and try to run it and see what happens. If there is an image there it should find it. You may have to navigate your way to it if it asks for the disk but try it and post back.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI