Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

McAfee Personal Firewall Tray Monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Layla

Layla

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Hi, everybody. I've got a question about the above-mentioned subject. For the past few days, I've been getting a McAfee pop-up window (at computer start-up and at other random times during the day) that says: "McAfee Personal Firewall Tray Monitor is requesting access to the Internet. Do you want to allow it?" Now you either choose "Grant Access" or "Block Access." I choose "Grant Access," but here's my problem. Even after I choose "Grant Access," the window keeps popping up anywhere from at least 10-16 times and I have to keep clicking the "Grant Access" button until the window finally disappears. I have a cable connection which is usually very fast, but it's been extremely sluggish lately and my internet explorer takes forever to open web pages, which I find unusual. I scan on a daily basis for Adware and the like using both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Spybot S&D did find a couple of things, which I removed, but since then I can't find any other problem and don't know why everything's moving so slow. I'd appreciate any help afforded. Thanks! :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rand1038

rand1038

Take over your PC or someone else will.

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

First, create a new folder on your desktop with a memorable name such as 'HijackThis'. Next, download HijackThis (scroll down the page to the 'HijackThis Quick Start' header) and unzip it to the new folder you just created. Make sure you unzip it, don't run it from the zip folder as it will not make proper backups if we need to fix anything.
Next, run HijackThis and click Do a system scan and save a logfile.
When the file opens, copy the entire contents by holding down Ctrl and pressing the 'A' key at the same time. Open a reply to this thread and paste the log into the reply by holding down the Ctrl button and 'V' at the same time.
Everyone gets specific instructions, disregard what you don't need.
I don't know your skill level.

"I would rather be bruised by the truth than caressed by lies."

The help you receive here is free.
If you can
please help keep us online by donating.

Posted Image

#3 Layla

Layla

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

OK, here's the log file from HJT:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:16:33 PM, on 6/18/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://channels.aimt.../aimtoolbar.jsp
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.com/
O2 - BHO: AIM Helper - {D70E6A20-7060-4829-B3D7-B6624A1DE7C6} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM TOOLBAR\AIMHELPER.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM TOOLBAR\AIMBAR.DLL/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...81/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...,19/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {2C8EEB84-6D60-11D4-BD64-0050048A82BF} (eshare communications NetAgent Customer ActiveX Control version 2) - http://tech-a.mhi.ao...s/custappx2.CAB
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplane...DC_1_0_0_42.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com...kup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {AB29A544-D6B4-4E36-A1F8-D3E34FC7B00A} - http://install.wildt...lim/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab

#4 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

Right click the spybot tray icon and choose "Exit Spybot S&D Resident". This will make sure any changes you make configuring McAfee are allowed to propagate to the registry, though Spybot's resident probably won't affect changes to McAfee config settings.

Now go to this page and follow the directions to access the McAfee Internet Applications page.

Make sure the following programs have full, unfiltered access to the internet.
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE

If you don't see a program on the list, add it. I can't tell you personally how to do this as I don't use McAfee products anymore. If you are unhappy with McAfee I can give you some suggestions for low cost or free alternatives which use less resources to do at least as good a job as McAfee does.

Once you finish the above steps, reboot so Spybot Resident is reactivated and see how things work.

Edited by rand1038, 18 June 2005 - 05:34 PM.

If you can

Posted Image

#5 Layla

Layla

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

There seems to be a problem adding ANY programs to the list. I tried, and it doesn't work. The version of the firewall I'm using was downloaded through AOL. It's called McAfee Personal Firewall EXPRESS, v. 4.5, API Version 4.5.4.40. I am now working on another computer because on my computer I can no longer reach the internet (even though I'm on cable). This problem (whatever it might be) has just locked me out of the internet altogether. I have also posted on the McAfee forums and someone there has been trying to help me. Apparently, McAfee is hearing from people that use the version 6 of the Firewall with the same problems and they are now requesting that anyone with these problems send the MPFConsoleErrors.txt and MPFTrayErrors.txt to them via e-mail. I have done so and hope to hear from someone soon. If not, I have no choice but to reformat my hard drive because as of right now, most anything I try to do on my computer has been rendered totally useless. The computer I'm working on right now also has the same version of the firewall, however, this one seems to be doing fine. If I EVER find out what this is all about, I will be sure to post the results in this forum because I'm quite sure there are others out there having these very same problems. Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it. :)

#6 Layla

Layla

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

If you are unhappy with McAfee I can give you some suggestions for low cost or free alternatives which use less resources to do at least as good a job as McAfee does.

View Post

I'd like your suggestions as to other firewalls available which might do the trick, preferably free firewalls because I really can't afford to buy one at the moment.

FYI - I'm also running McAfee Virus Scan Professional, Version 8 (which I have absolutely no problems with). Will any of these free firewalls clash with Version 8?

PS: I now know for sure that it is the Firewall that did this because today I uninstalled it, and my computer's running fine now. No internet problems, no other problems.

Thanks for your help! :)

#7 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:45 PM

Personally, I'd rather go naked than run McAfee. :blink: I've helped many people who had a variety of problems which were directly attributabel to McAfee.

http://www.grisoft.c...s_dwnl_free.php << Free, excellent Antivirus.

Firewalls depend on what you want. I use Sygate. If you don't mind a bit of a learning curve I think it is the best choice. ZoneAlarm is also a good choice and is easier to use "out of the box".

Sygate
ZoneAlarm

If you go with AVG and Sygate (the combination I use) I can be the most helpful with any setup questions you have.

If you can

Posted Image