This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WINDOWS XP UPDATES

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:scratch: WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Having recently received excellent help from the Forum in fixing major problems via HJT Logs, I've been reading through some of your general Forum areas for New Users.

One point that is made is the need to keep all Windows and IE software up to date in order to maintain full security protection.

I am currently running an older version of XP SP2 (can't currently tell you the precise version but I do know that it's not fully up to date with the latest Updates via Microsoft).

The reason I have not updated Windows XP is that I had some "expert" advice (albeit not from Tom Coyote) that the latest Windows XP Updates (developed by Microsoft specifically to fill some known Security problems) had actually created additional security holes in the operating system.

Was wondering whether any TC experts could advise whether there is any truth in the above ? AND should I really update XP and IE to the latest versions via M/Soft?

Hoping for some guidance and expert opinion with this dilema !

Cheers everyone,

Vinylman :wavey:
I haven't heard anything along that line myself, but that doesn't mean anything. We'll see if anyone has heard anything along that line.
Not an expert, but I did a reinstall with XP home, complete reformat, and when i went to windows update, to update the remaining files after cd installation, I contracted a virus from their site, or some how through I.E., but I went directly there nowhere else so it seemed kind of fishy. I think their sight was hijacked. I read somewhere to open a new window when you go there and update from that.

latest Windows XP Updates (developed by Microsoft specifically to fill some known Security problems) had actually created additional security holes in the operating system


well if thats true ms will simply come out with a "new patch to patch the original patch"

it is a good habit to keep your os updated. As of july 27 a visit to window updates requires a forced validation of windows before any downloads.
If your looking to save yourself the 20 bucks… you can get a virus from simply being connected to the internet without a virusscanner… I remember at work one day i had set a computer to install Windows XP and then left for lunch… Came back an hour later… and it was at the spot where they ask you to register with Microsoft…. and the computer already was infected with Sasser. Before i actually complete windows setup i got the virus… That might have been your problem as well… I would definitly reccomend getting updates because would you rather have new security holes that are fixed 2 weeks later (every other tuesday to be exact), or the ones that all the hackers already know about.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI