This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

attachments, file sizes, more

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 7:09:31 PM, on 6/14/2005 Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) I have been unable to send emails with attachments for quite some time. Actually, before that started happening, all the images in the body of my emails or in attachments, whether originating from me or in forwards, ended up missing on the receivers’ end. I could attach PDF’s for awhile then that ended too. Then I used www.YouSendIt.com and that worked the first time, but can no longer get files to upload to them. I have Norton Systemworks 2004 automatically scan for viruses twice a week and I keep the virus definitions updated. I have run SpyBot S & D a couple of times after updating it and found nothing out of the ordinary. I have the free version of ZoneAlarm and have tried all combinations of incoming and outgoing email scanning ON and OFF. I also made sure the timeout protection is enabled. I NEVER use Outlook or Outlook Express. I manually added and allowed the Symantec’s recommended files in ZoneAlarm, however I could not find one of them: symnetdrv.dll I also did a Trojan scan on www.windowsecurity.com which found nothing and I did all their email security tests. Either my ISP (Earthlink), Norton, and ZoneAlarm blocked/quarantined all of the test emails, except maybe 2. I didn’t quite understand those particular test results. I ran Norton’s Disk Doctor, Win Doctor, and Clean Sweep. One Button Cleanup runs automatically twice a week. My hard drive is only 5.5% fragmented. I install every single Microsoft update and until recently only used Internet Explorer unless absolutely necessary. I use Netscape 7 instead. I only started using IE recently because I got on Yahoo Personals and it doesn’t work well with Netscape. IE seems to be incredibly slow in downloading pages. I have Limewire and BearShare installed. I can’t remember, but I think the attachment problem started around the time I installed them. I’m not really sure. I install and uninstall a lot of little extras like Chameleon Clock and UltraMon (I use 2 monitors with a Matrox dual graphics card). I also run RegCleaner maybe once every 2 months. There is one other thing that just happened, but may not be related. I drew a map in Adobe Illustrator 10 and saved it as a PDF. I burned it onto a CD and a colleague opened it on her computer, and noticed the size was a lot more than it should have been (16 MB). This is the size shown on my computer. When she pulled it off the CD, the size reported on her computer was 222 MB. She opened it in Adobe Photoshop and saved it as a PDF from there and the result was 754 KB, what it should have been all along. Below is what I wrote March 16 and was going to send you when the problems suddenly cleared up. (I didn’t do anything as an attempt at fixing those problems – there were just gone). I guess the image and email attachment problems then must have begun after that. I have been having several problems, actually lots of problems, recently. This past week the computer has been very slow and My Computer quits responding. It is fine when I first start up the computer, but quits when I put a different CD in either the CD or DVD drives. Other things I’ve noticed are the Mail Washer icon and Earthlink Total Access icon disappear from the system tray. At the same time the Earthlink Icon disappears, the ELink task bar also disappears. The task bar comes back when I click the Elink button in the Quick Launch bar, but stays only long enough for me to click on one item. The icon in the system tray never comes back. Also the various Norton buttons keep ungrouping themselves in the system tray. I noticed these things after I installed a couple of small free utilities. I removed them, but the problems remain. I ran SpyBot and there was no different spyware than usual. The SpyBot IE Resident button has also disappeared from the system tray. I installed Limewire and CD XPPro3 on March 5th, but didn’t experience any of these problems until about a week later. I had Norton scan the Shared folder for Limewire a couple of times to be extra safe, but nothing ever turned up. More: the task panel quits responding and everything disappears from the monitors except the wallpaper, so I have to shut off the power to the computer. I did defragment the hard drive and things have sped up some. Adobe Illustrator 10 always stops responding when I try to close it. That has happened since I installed it around November. I installed Limewire’s Download Manager after all these problems started. So far I havne’t see anything new happening after that. I did have to agree to downloading 180SearchAssistant with it, but have removed it with SpyBot. They say you can uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, but it doesn’t show up there. Sneaky. I haven’t updated from SpyBot because my boyfriend got that version and there is a problem with it. I’m waiting for that to be fixed. An update To Earlthlink Total Access 2005 just came out, but every time I update that, I have new problems for awhile. I don’t want to confuse the issues here. Other than that I have automatic update notification on everything. I am pretty diligent in taking care of those. I have Norton Antivirus scheduled for twice a week and One Button Checkup once a week. I have run Spybot 3 or 4 times in the past week, and ran the Trojan scan from www.windowsecurity.com . I also ran all their email security tests about a month ago and came up clean. Norton is on all time and I have Zone Alarm on all the time. Can anyone help please? My OS is Windows2000. Gena :o
I'm still looking for some help on this. I work from home so I really need to be able to send email attachments. I've searched the Internet and can't seem to find anything relating to my problems. Thanks, Gena

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI