This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help with Windows PC! HJT log included.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Guys, I really need some help with my Windows XP PC. A few weeks ago, a mysterious program appeared as a shortcut on my desktop. It is called Access_Control with a woman's face as the shortcut icon. I went and uninstalled it from Add/Remove programs. Within a few minutes it reappeared on my desktop with a shortcut. So, I hunted down it's folder under program files, "Instant Access", and deleted the folder and emptied my wastebasket. I also ran SBS&D, and it detected it and supposedly fixed it. Within a few hours, it was reappearing on my desktop. However, it didn't effect my PC's performance from what I could tell, so I left it alone. Now, 3 weeks later, when running IE or Firefox, it runs SUPER SLOW! My applications and programs run just fine though. I called my ISP and the had me do a few things and ended up telling me that I had spyware. They recommended Microsoft's new AntiSpyware Beta program. I installed it, and fixed the InstantAccess Dialer among a few other things…Egroup Dialer, Egroup Adware, etc…But, the desktop icon for the AccessControl(Instant Access Dialer) keeps reappearing and my computer will hardly even run IE or Firefox. It has taken me over 2 hours to login to this website, register, and get to this page to post. IE and Firefox have been completely crippled. So, I downloaded AdAware and tried to get it to fix everything. Same problems. Long story short, here I am with my HJT log file. I would appreciate any help you guys might can provide!

I think I'm only running the windows based firewall.

HJT was installed in a separate directory and all internet windows closed before running HJ. Also, computer was rebooted after running spybot, adaware, and ms antispyware before running HJT to get the log file. Thanks again!



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:23:36 PM, on 6/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTSvcCDA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Archive\archive.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
O2 - BHO: XNetIEObj Class - {1808648B-3102-4293-8AD3-06AF71D3321B} - C:\Program Files\Endeavors\AppExpress\bho_2_5_5_17070\bho.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Archive] C:\Program Files\Archive\archive.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Bodog Poker - {F47C1DB5-ED21-4dc1-853E-D1495792D4C5} - C:\Program Files\Bodog Poker\GameClient.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/EP…l_v1-0-3-17.cab
O16 - DPF: {AF087E66-838E-4A97-8A0B-0DDDA5DEA239} (OTAutoInstall Class) - http://trials1.endeavors.com/autodesk/acad…nloads/OTAI.CAB
O16 - DPF: {BFC9677B-8006-4336-9D49-2C797AEFCB9E} - http://akamai.downloadv3.com/binaries/EGDA…ESS_1058_XP.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTSvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
Hello jspiers, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. Let's give this a try. :)

1) Take a look in Add Remove programs to make sure nothing like this is there: C:\Program Files\Archive\archive.exe, uninstall it if there.
Then open Task Manager, Processes Tab, highlite and end process on: C:\Program Files\Archive\archive.exe

2) To keep Microsoft AntiSpyware from blocking HJT, use this information:
Open Microsoft AntiSpyware.
Click on Tools, Settings.
In the left pane, click on Real-time Protection.
Under Startup Options uncheck: Enable the Microsoft AntiSpyware Security Agents on startup (recommended).
Under Real-time spyware threat protection uncheck: Enable real-time spyware threat protection (recommended).
After you uncheck these, click on the Save button and close Microsoft AntiSpyware.
Right click on the Microsoft AntiSpyware icon on the taskbar and select Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware.

After all of the fixes are complete it is very important that you enable Real-time Protection again.

3) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Archive] C:\Program Files\Archive\archive.exe
see this >> http://castlecops.com/startuplist-7206.html
O16 - DPF: {AF087E66-838E-4A97-8A0B-0DDDA5DEA239} (OTAutoInstall Class) - http://trials1.endeavors.com/autodesk/acad…nloads/OTAI.CAB
above item does not identify, pass over it if you know it is valid
O16 - DPF: {BFC9677B-8006-4336-9D49-2C797AEFCB9E} - http://akamai.downloadv3.com/binaries/EGDA…ESS_1058_XP.cab
-Electronic-Group Dialer

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

SHOW HIDDEN FILES: Follow the instructions in the link to enable hidden files for your operating system.
You may wish to reverse this process if you have any concern about anyone getting into these hidden system files.
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete this item:

C:\Program Files\Archive\ >>> folder

While you are there, let's clean out your Prefetch folder for safety:
Locate C:\Windows\Prefetch folder and open it. Delete the contents of the folder (NOT THE FOLDER) if there are many choose Edit then Select all then Delete. You may not be able to remove them all, don't be concerned unless any have the name of the items we need to remove. Here is some information about the Prefetch for you:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5165773.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1683520,00.asp

4) Ewido trojan scanner: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
Please download, install, update and scan your system with the free version of Ewido trojan scanner:
  1. When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
  2. When you run ewido for the first time, you will get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.
  3. From the main ewido screen, click on update in the left menu, then click the Start update button.
  4. After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful"), click on the Scanner button in the left menu, then click on the Start button. This scan can take quite a while to run, so time to go get a drink and a snack….
  5. If ewido finds anything, it will pop up a notification. You can select "clean" and check the boxes "Perform action with all infections" and "Create encrypted backup" before clicking on OK.
  6. When the scan finishes, click on "Save Report". This will create a text file. Please then paste the contents of the text file to this thread.

  7. 5) Download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Review the instructions on the download page, check for updates and use the default settings.

    Stay in this same thread and post a new HJT log along with the log from the Ewido scan. Lem me know how you are running and please give me any feedback you think I should have…Phil

    Thanks…pskelley
    TomCoyote forum
    Slyware Warrior
Pskelley, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to wait for you guys. I am a college student that depends very heavily on my computer and use it on a daily basis. I was able to go a few days waiting, but after 6 I had to do something and ended up reformatting to get rid of the bug. I was pretty disappointed that I didn't hear back from you guys sooner. Hopefully there won't be another time, but if so perhaps I'll drop in on you guys again!
Hello jspiers, I am also sorry we could not get to you sooner, has to do with the number of posts to this thread. We are severely outnumbered and all are volunteers. I wanted you to have the information I give once a log is clean to help prevent future infections. Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

Good luck and safe surfing…Phil

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI