Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't access www.microsoft.com

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spierian

spierian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:09 AM

I am using IE6 and Windows XP linking to the internet via broadband and a wireless router/modem. For the last few days, when I go to www.microsoft.com, I get a Windows dialog box asking me for my username and password! This is a new thing and obviously shouldn't happen. The other PC on my home network can access the URL. Has my computer been invaded? By what? John

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:21 AM

Have you checked to make sure your typing the addy correctly? What type of router are you using and how many computers on network?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 spierian

spierian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:28 AM

Yes, the address is correct. Hard to go wrong with www.microsoft.com! There are two computers and it's a Netgear wireless router.

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:41 AM

hmm.. must be nice not to ever have any typo's. Anyway sounds like to me thats the problem. Can you access your routers html settings page? And have you changed your password lately?

#5 spierian

spierian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:00 AM

I can access my router's control panel (via IE) but I'm not sure which part is HTML settings. But the router is the same one being used by the other computer on my network and it gets to microsoft.com fine. Doesn't this suggest that the router's OK?

I haven't changed any passwords lately (at least not knowingly). But what I have now found is that whatever username/pw I put in, I get sent to:

http://www.microsoft.../localstart.asp

and get this error:

"Invalid syntax

/localstart.asp, line 40"

Spooky!

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:11 AM

Ok well I am not very familiar with Netgear but I am sure its some what inline with linksys and the others. To get to my "html" settings page I type in http://192.168.1.1 and it takes me to router settings. Now the reason I ask about the password is, with wireless, you know you can get a usb wireless connection from just about any computer shop. I happen to have one myself. I can get in my truck.. turn on lappie.. drive around till I pick up a signal and a surfin I go. Yes thats highly illegal but all the same is way to easily doable. If I pick up a signal, and I know just a little about what I am doing, I can change the password/username to the router to whatever I deem ness. and prevent the owner from blocking my access.

#7 spierian

spierian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:26 AM

Aaah, right, I get it.

For me the router admin link is http://192.168.0.1. This gives a password challenge (just like the one I'm getting from www.microsoft.com).

It has not changed - after your email I checked to make sure.

Also we've had no trucks around recently. :)