This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

CoolWWWSearch.Aff.Winshow - Help!

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Spybot repeatedly finds CoolWWWSearch.Aff.Winshow and says that it has fixed the problem, but it reappears over and over. the About: blank home page appears despite changing my home page back to my usual one. I'm new to this and hope I've generated the right log file. I tried to follow your instructions very carefully.

I really appreciate the job you do and hope you can help me fix this problem.

Sincerely,
Campy


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:37:25 PM, on 5/20/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\javapa.exe
C:\Program Files\Lawrence University\Tunnel Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\javanz.exe
C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
C:\Download\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.lawrence.edu/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: Class - {5FF22AB0-0EE0-256A-46F7-FB091D282278} - C:\WINDOWS\apigo.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iexplore.exe] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [javanz.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\javanz.exe
O4 - Startup: WordWeb.lnk = C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Lawrence University Tunnel Client.lnk = C:\Program Files\Lawrence University\Tunnel Client\ipsecdialer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Netscape Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Earthlink\laptop.bat
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &WordWeb… - res://C:\WINDOWS\wweb32.dll/lookup.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = lawrence.edu
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\javapa.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Lawrence University\Tunnel Client\cvpnd.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
Hi Campy

Welcome to the TomCoyote Forums. My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.

1. Go to the Tom Coyote Forums http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?
.Click on My Controls near the top middle of the window (make sure you have signed in first)
.On the left hand column, click "view topics"
.If you click on the title of your post, you will be taken there
2. Also, while at that place in control panel, check the box to the right of your post and then scroll down.
Where it says "unsubscribe" click the pull-down menu and select "immediate email notification", By doing this, you will be notified as soon as I have posted a reply to your log.


3. Please DELETE your current HJT program from its present location.

4. Download and run the following HijackThis autoinstall program from Here HJT needs to be in its own folder so that the program itself isn't deleted by accident. Having the backups could be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

A. Close ALL windows except HJT

B. SCAN with HJT and SAVE LOG. (a notepad window will open with the log in it when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')

C. POST the log in this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')


DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS MOST OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER


Regards,

Trevuren
Trevuren,

Thank you so much for helping me with my problem.

I have following your instructions to a tee, and will post the new log below. When you said to put the HJT program in its own folder, I put the version you suggested in the suggested default location: C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe. If this is not what you had in mind, please advise and I will do it over again.

I seem to be getting email of all posts to this newsgroup, which is quickly filling my mailbox. Please advise how to change my settings so that I only get notified when you reply to me.

Thanks very much,
Campy

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:31:31 AM, on 5/21/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\javapa.exe
C:\Program Files\Lawrence University\Tunnel Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\javanz.exe
C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.lawrence.edu/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: Class - {5FF22AB0-0EE0-256A-46F7-FB091D282278} - C:\WINDOWS\apigo.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iexplore.exe] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [javanz.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\javanz.exe
O4 - Startup: WordWeb.lnk = C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Lawrence University Tunnel Client.lnk = C:\Program Files\Lawrence University\Tunnel Client\ipsecdialer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Netscape Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Earthlink\laptop.bat
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &WordWeb… - res://C:\WINDOWS\wweb32.dll/lookup.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = lawrence.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = lawrence.edu
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\javapa.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Lawrence University\Tunnel Client\cvpnd.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
Hi Campy,

When on the TomCoyote site, look at the top for MY Controls.

Click My Controls then look for View Topics on the left.
Now in the next window put a check mark in every topic except this one and go to the bottom of the page and click UNSUBSCRIBE.

This should help


Regards,

Trevuren
Hi Campi,

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.

First of all I need you to download some programs for use later. Do not use any of them until instructed to do do.

1. Download cwsserviceremove.zip and unzip it to your desktop

2. Download About:Buster from here. Once it is downloaded extract it to c:\aboutbuster and check for updates. Do NOT use it yet

3. Download CWShredder from here, install it, check for updates but again, don't use it yet.

4. Then, Download Ad-aware Second Edition here and install it. If you already have Ad-aware Second Edition skip to the next step.

Open adaware and Click the "Check for updates now" line on the main screen. CLick the "Connect" button on the webupdate screen.

If an update is available download it and install it. Click the "Finish" button to go back to the main screen.

Click on the "Settings" button (gear symbol in the upper right corner of the main status screen) in the quick launch toolbar to open the General settings screen. Check the "Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal" setting and then click "Proceed" to save your changes

Click the "Scan now" button in the main menu on the left side of the main status screen or use the "Start" button in lower right corner. This will open the Preparing System Scan screen. Please deselect "Search for negligible risk entries", as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat. Then select "Use custom scanning options" and click "CUstomize". This will open the "Scan Settings Page. Make sure all of the following are On with a "green" checkmark:

Scan within archives
Scan active processes
Scan Registry
Deep-scan Registry
Scan my IE Favorites for banned URLs
Scan my Hosts File


Then click on the "Tweak" Button to open up the tweak settings.

Open up the Scanning Engine section and make sure all of the following are On with a "green" checkmark:

Scan registry for all users instead of current user only

Make sure the following is unchecked with a "red" X:

Unload recognized processes & modules during scan.

Open up the Cleaning Engine section and make sure all of the following are On with a "green" checkmark:

Always try to unload modules before deletion
During Removal, unload Explorer and IE if necessary
Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot.

Click the "Proceed" button to save settings.

Don't scan yet. We will do it in safe mode.

Ensure hidden files and folders are set to show;
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Next, go to Start->Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes) then hit Ok

Scroll down and find the service called < Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I)>. When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then click on properties and under the General Tab, change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then Ok and close any open windows.

Please disconnect from the Internet and unplug your modem for the duration of this fix You may want to print the rest of these instructions.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode by tapping F8 while booting up and continue for the rest of the fix in SAFE MODE

While in safe mode, double click on the cwsserviceemove.reg file you downloaded at the beginning. Grant it permission to add the registry items.

Then Open CWShredder that you downloaded in the first step. Close all browser windows and click on the fix/next button.

Bring up task manager Ctrl-Alt-Del and end these processes, if they are present

C:\WINDOWS\javapa.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\javanz.exe


Now find and delete these files, if you can't find one then don't worry.. just move on to the next one.

C:\WINDOWS\javapa.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\javanz.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll
C:\WINDOWS\apigo.dll
C:\WINDOWS\web<<
Now run hijackthis and click the scan button, when it has finished scanning put a check against the following and click 'fix checked'

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcudr.dll/sp.html#14044
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Class - {5FF22AB0-0EE0-256A-46F7-FB091D282278} - C:\WINDOWS\apigo.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iexplore.exe] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [javanz.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\javanz.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O23 - Service: Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\javapa.exe



The following step is important as you may have several malware files in your temp directories.

Then browse to the C:\documents and settings\Your User Name (repeat for all other user names in documents and settings)\local settings\temp folder and delete all files and folders in it.
Then browse to the C:\Window\Temp folder and delete all files and folders in it.
Then in internet explore click tools>internet Options>General. Click on Delete Files make sure you get all offline content as well.

Now navigate to the c:\aboutbuster directory and double-click on aboutbuster.exe When the tool is open press the OK button, then the Start button, then the OK button, and then finally the Yes button. It will start scanning your computer for files. If it asks if you would like to do a second pass, allow it to do so. Post the log file in your next reply.

Scan with Adaware by opening it and clicking the "Next" button to start the scan.

When the scan is completed the Performing System Scan screen will change name to "Scan Complete".

Click the "Next" button to get to the Scanning Results screens where more information about the objects detected during the scan is available.

Click the Critical Objects Tab. In general all of the items listed will be bad. Be carefull with the Hosts file entries. Malware uses the hosts file to redirect you websites. However you can use the hosts file as a way to prevent malware. If the object has 127.0.0.1 in it, it should most likely not be deleted as it is protecting against unwanted sites. For more information on how to use a host file to protect yourself read here. So in short, you may or may not want to fix the hosts file entries.

To fix all the bad critical objects do the following:

Right click on one of them to open up the selection screen. Click the "Select All" button to select all entries. In general all should be selected with the exception of the good hosts file entries.

When all are selected Click "Next" and then "OK" in the pop-up window to confirm the removal.

Now reboot,and run hijackthis again and post a fresh log along with the about buster log

Regards,

Trevuren
.
Hi Trevuren,

When I went to My Controls/View Topics, there is only one topic showing, which is this one. This still generates 30-35 new email messages per day that have nothing to do with my topic, but are posted to the same forum. I don't think you want me to unsubscribe to this topic, so I checked that topic and said "stop email notification" rather than "unsubscribe." I can read your replies on the TC website, but I'm sure there's a way to do what I want (only get email notification for a reply to my specific topic, rather than the forum in which it resides). If you can see what my problem is, please advise.

I am planning to perform the extensive procedure you detailed for fixing my machine tomorrow morning. In reading through your comments, I think I'll be able to do everything. I have never booted in "safe mode," but I am guessing by your instructions that I just hit F8 shortly after I power up the machine. If not, please let me know.

I also am not familiar with what you mean by "unload," for example, when you say "Unload recognized processes & modules during scan." Perhaps it is an option to check when I get to that point, but I am just guessing. Please advise.

Finally, I am not sure if I have permissions to delete all files and folders in C:\documents and settings\\local folders\temp. I hope this is not a problem.

If I have other questions before starting, I will post another message.

Thanks very very much,
Campy

—- Original Msg —–

Hi Campy,

When on the TomCoyote site, look at the top for MY Controls.

Click My Controls then look for View Topics on the left.
Now in the next window put a check mark in every topic except this one and go to the bottom of the page and click UNSUBSCRIBE.

This should help


Regards,

Trevuren

167974

Trevuren, Okay, I'm part-way through executing the procedure you gave me. I have a few minor questions, and then a problem that is preventing me from continuing: 1) When downloading CWShredder, I just chose to download the standalone version of CWShredder. They were also offering a version with SpySubtract Pro on a trial basis, but, since you didn't mention that, I assumed I just wanted the standalone version. 2) When you say to download Ad-aware Second Edition, I assume Adaware SE Personal Edition 1.05 is okay. (Does SE stand for second edition?). This is the version available for free download at the site you gave me. I was able to change all of the settings as you suggested. 3) Finally, when I type Services.msc, I get the following error message: MMC: The snap-in below, referenced in this document has been restricted by policy. Contact your administrator for details. – Services and then: The user policies prevent MMC from creating the snap-in. Is this a critical step before disconnecting from the network? I was hoping to fix this problem without involving computer services, but if it is critical, I can see if they'll grant me permissions or give me the administrator password or whatever. If there are other options, please let me know. I'll wait until you post a reply. Thanks, Campy
Hi Campy,

1. Ad-Aware SE = Second Edition.

2. Stand alone version of CWShredder is perfect.

3. You must have all restrictions lifted to fix this problem or you may as well reformat.


Regards,

Trevuren
Trevuren, I asked computer services if I could have permission to allow me to do the Services.msc thing. It will take them awhile (due to someone's leave) to be able to do exactly that, but the following was suggested as a workaround. Will this suffice for our purposes? However there is a way for you to do this from the command prompt. If you go to a dos window type NET STOP then the name of the .exe file that you need to stop. It may be sysra32.exe if I was looking at the same spyware problem that you were. I cannot find a sysra32.exe file on my machine, but I thought I'd mention it in case we can still use this workaround for our specific purpose. Also, since I got to this point of the procedure yesterday, I have rebooted several times. Will I need to go back and re-do any steps from earlier in the procedure, or will all of the software (e.g., Adaware, CWShredder, etc.) remember the settings I changed the next time I open them for scanning, etc.? Thanks again, Campy
Hi campy,

Sorry Campy, I am totally unaware of this procedure. I can't play around with things I don't know about for fear ofreally messing things up which can easily happen in this line of work.

You will have to wait for your people to decide how long they want an ABOUT:BLANK with running Service on one of their machines.

When we restart, we will have to redo it from the beginnin.

Another solution is to let your "computer services" do it with me. THEY should have the authority.

Regards,

Trevuren
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI