AntiVirus = AVG (recently updated)
Antispyware = SpywareGuard
Firewall = Well – nothing now . . .
I have been using ZoneAlarm (Free Version) for several years and operating Windows 98. Upgrades have always gone well. I did the last upgrade to 5.5.062.011 in Feb '05.
Just spent the last three days trying to get the 5.5.094.000 upgrade to work and I get two error messages:
Could not load the DLL library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\kernel32.dll. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
When I press OK, I get the second message:
Could not load the DLL library C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vsutil.dll. One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.
Then the installation stops.
I have looked over what I can find on the internet about this problem and tried several things. To summarise what I have tried:
1. I tried re-downloading the 5.5.094.000 file several times. None of these worked.
2. I tried to sort out any potential problem with certificates using the regsvr32 /u command in the command mode to uninstall them, rebooting, reinstalling them and rebooting. That didn't work.
3. I went to the Verisign site and tried reloading certificates plus went to WindowsUpdate and downloaded a program to repair the root certificates. ZoneAlarm would still not install.
4. Out of curiosity, I tried to reload the old version of 5.5.062.011 from the old installer file that I had saved (without first uninstalling 5.5.062.011). No luck.
5. I then tried to uninstall 5.5.062.011 using the uninstall ZoneAlarm button and strangely got the same two messages as above. Thus I couldn’t even uninstall the existing program like many people suggest as the best way to upgrade.
6. I tried to do a clean uninstall by adding "/clean" (with a space but no quotes) to the target line for Uniinstall ZoneAlarm in Properties page and got the same two messages.
7. Then I tried to uninstall using the Windows uninstall program in Add/Remove Progams. This also produced the same two messages as above.
8. Finally I tried to manually uninstall as described in a thread about vsinit.dll problems. I was able to clear all the files from the computer but I couldn't find a registry entry for the folder "VSData95" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContolSet\Services\VxD. However I removed any entry that contained any reference to “Zone Labs.”
9. I’ve done a scan with CWShredder, Spybot S&D and Ad-aware SE (all updated to the most current definitions) and found nothing wrong. Then I did an online antivirus scan at the Computer Associates eTrust Web Scan site plus a scan using my own AVG antivirus software and also found nothing amiss.
ZoneAlarm seems to be gone off the computer now and it has been rebooted several times successfully. However I am still unable to load either the 5.5.062.011 or 5.5.094.000 versions. The same error messages come up.
If anyone has ideas, I would love to hear them.