This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Works cannot open a file. Wierd error message

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

In trying to get a log saved for HJT, I am encountering a software problem with Microsoft Works. It says, "Works cannot open log. The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt." I cannot post a HJT file to the appropriate forum due to this. Maybe someone here can help clear up my problem of saving a logfile so I can move on with my issues to the HiJack This Forum. Thanks so much!
Make sure you have the newest version of HijackThis(v1.99.1). If you don't uninstall/delete the old version and download the newest version from here. Extract(unzip) it to its own folder. Press the Do a System scan and save a Log File button. The log should open up with notepad(not sure why you are trying to open it in Works) after the scan is done.

Post the log into a new topic in the Logs forum: here.
I am using the correct, most up-to-date version. I did download it AGAIN just to make sure and ran HiJack This. When I select DO A SCAN AND SAVE A LOGFILE it runs the program correctly, and immediately goes to Microsoft Works (automatically) where it says it cannot find the saved file. Error message continues. I am desperate for help, as I have more popups and computer failures than one person should be able to handle. I am considering copying the entire log manually into the logfile for review - I am so desperate. I tried to paste and copy like the older versions of HIJack this worked, but it isn't cooperating. Any ideas? Please! Thanks you so much for your help. You all have been lifesavers before. I just want to get my log posted.
OK… sounds like Works might've changed a file association on you.

Try this…

Right click on My Computer. Click Tools, then Folder Options. Click the File Types tab. Scroll down the list until you see the extension TXT. Hilite it, press the change button. In the Open With window that will pop up… look for notepad in the list. Hilite it. Press OK. Press Close.

Try running and scanning with HijackThis again. See if that works for you.
Ok, I did what you said… however, notepad was already selected. After many tears and turmoil I found the hijack this log in my computer and right clicked to select a "open with" option. When I selected the Works Notepad (instead of regular notepad) it gave me a file I was able to paste and copy to a log. It is in the malware log forum now. Thank you so much… you're question of why I was trying to open it with works made me think… You're the man, Mr. KotaGuy! I'll see ya in the next forum. Any other ideas about what might need to be fixed would be appreciated. Maybe select the Works Notepad for TXT, like you did above? Thanks so much from Michigan! -Kitten
Good to see you got it figured… still strange that its trying to open in Works and not Notepad. I'll take a look at your log and get back to you on it. :) Will answer in the other forum.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI