Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Works cannot open a file. Wierd error message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kitten

Kitten

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

In trying to get a log saved for HJT, I am encountering a software problem with Microsoft Works. It says, "Works cannot open log. The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt." I cannot post a HJT file to the appropriate forum due to this. Maybe someone here can help clear up my problem of saving a logfile so I can move on with my issues to the HiJack This Forum. Thanks so much!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 'KotaGuy

'KotaGuy

Retired Staff-Malware Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Make sure you have the newest version of HijackThis(v1.99.1). If you don't uninstall/delete the old version and download the newest version from here. Extract(unzip) it to its own folder. Press the Do a System scan and save a Log File button. The log should open up with notepad(not sure why you are trying to open it in Works) after the scan is done.

Post the log into a new topic in the Logs forum: here.

#3 Kitten

Kitten

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:13 PM

I am using the correct, most up-to-date version. I did download it AGAIN just to make sure and ran HiJack This. When I select DO A SCAN AND SAVE A LOGFILE it runs the program correctly, and immediately goes to Microsoft Works (automatically) where it says it cannot find the saved file. Error message continues. I am desperate for help, as I have more popups and computer failures than one person should be able to handle. I am considering copying the entire log manually into the logfile for review - I am so desperate. I tried to paste and copy like the older versions of HIJack this worked, but it isn't cooperating. Any ideas? Please! Thanks you so much for your help. You all have been lifesavers before. I just want to get my log posted.

#4 'KotaGuy

'KotaGuy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:27 PM

OK... sounds like Works might've changed a file association on you.

Try this...

Right click on My Computer. Click Tools, then Folder Options. Click the File Types tab. Scroll down the list until you see the extension TXT. Hilite it, press the change button. In the Open With window that will pop up... look for notepad in the list. Hilite it. Press OK. Press Close.

Try running and scanning with HijackThis again. See if that works for you.

#5 Kitten

Kitten

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

Ok, I did what you said... however, notepad was already selected. After many tears and turmoil I found the hijack this log in my computer and right clicked to select a "open with" option. When I selected the Works Notepad (instead of regular notepad) it gave me a file I was able to paste and copy to a log. It is in the malware log forum now. Thank you so much... you're question of why I was trying to open it with works made me think... You're the man, Mr. KotaGuy! I'll see ya in the next forum. Any other ideas about what might need to be fixed would be appreciated. Maybe select the Works Notepad for TXT, like you did above? Thanks so much from Michigan! -Kitten

#6 'KotaGuy

'KotaGuy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:54 PM

Good to see you got it figured... still strange that its trying to open in Works and not Notepad. I'll take a look at your log and get back to you on it. :) Will answer in the other forum.

Edited by 'KotaGuy, 15 May 2005 - 03:54 PM.