it opens up two or three times (I keep canceling it) when new window of IExplorer is opened
can you advise me how to fix it ?
I got this problem after I removed CWS and another Hijack Browser from my system.
Thanks for advice
Do the different OfficeXP apps work themselves as normal? If not you could use the Detect and Repair feature. For more info, see section 6 in this article: http://pcworld.about.com/news/Jan232002id77244.htm
I think it would be interesting to see your current HijackThis log but really that needs to go in the other forum.
i had something similar, with every IE call (and maybe every program execution) triggering multiple MSI installs. I tried figuring out what install it was running, but the last several in the winnt\install were for antispyware, antivirus, novell client and Office, not unusual. I ran antispyware, ad-aware, antivirus, didn't find anything obvious. I did notice that the MSIEXEC in system32 and in dllcache was older than the one in the service pack area, so I deleted the older copy, copied in the newer one. I also reloaded the file association for MSI, then upgraded IE and the problem finally went away. Then I found a reference in Hijack this for an rk.exe as a startup item in the BHO section, and the program no longer is on the machine….. so I believe I had an IE hijacker that was probably calling the msi installer to plug in more nasties.
So you might want to check out BHO objects, look in the \windows\install directory to see what's trying to install.
win2k sp4
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI