This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

My Log.

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

C:\log.txt

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL FILES FOUND BY THIS METHOD ARE NOT BAD FILES, THERE MIGHT BE LEGIT FILES LISTED AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHILE FIXING. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT IT IS LEAVE THEM ALONE.
Files Found in system Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\system32\cithlper.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\system32\dumpsprep.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\system32\micefix.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\system32\DivX.dll: PEC2

Files Found in all users startup Folder…………
————————
Files Found in all users windows Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\tsc.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\vsapi32.dll: UPX!t4
Finished
bye


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:29:43 AM, on 5/11/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe
C:\WINNT\Logi_MwX.Exe
C:\WINNT\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft IntelliType Pro] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3c1807pd] C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cmlink.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-3c1807pd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04a\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: ConferenceRoom Java Client - http://chat.ar15.com/java/cr.cab
O16 - DPF: {0B72CCA4-5F11-11D0-9CB5-0000C0EC9FDB} (Street Technologies ActiveX Control Object) - http://ftp.newaol.com/pub/sr-test/streetnoagent7.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7D1E9C49-BD6A-11D3-87A8-009027A35D73} (Yahoo! Audio UI1) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yacsui.cab
O16 - DPF: {8714912E-380D-11D5-B8AA-00D0B78F3D48} (Yahoo! Webcam Upload Wrapper) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yuplapp.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (ASquaredScanForm Element) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/axscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {E504EE6E-47C6-11D5-B8AB-00D0B78F3D48} (Yahoo! Webcam Viewer Wrapper) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yvwrctl.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\Brmfrmps.exe" -service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe

No symptoms on computer I can see. Although when I just rebooted from safe mode, it said new hardware found and the wizard thing was trying to find drivers. I don't know what that was all about.
Hello amtekco, First let me say that I have been looking at this log for so long and I did not see that there is no Antivirus program running? Here are two free ones and I do suggest the AVG by Grisoft:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
I would install, update and run AVG right away!

HJT can not see everything and we still have a couple of questionable items that showed in the RKFiles log.

No symptoms on computer I can see. Although when I just rebooted from safe mode, it said new hardware found and the wizard thing was trying to find drivers. I don't know what that was all about.

Not sure about hardware…you sure you installed nothing recently? I would need more infirmation, it is possible that something is on autoupdate and downloaded a driver update or something? Far as I know, malware has not started installing hardwere…lol.

We are going to use Pocket Killbox to kill these bad files:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cithlper.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\dumpsprep.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\micefix.exe

This tutorial will help position Killbox properly:
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=320

Instructions:Download killbox here:

KillBox

Unzip the folder to your desktop.

Start Killbox.exe

When it is open, enter > into the field labeled "Full path of file to delete".

Select the Delete on reboot option.

Then press the button that looks like a red circle with a white X in it.

When it asks if you want to restart click No, then enter the other two items, you

can copy/paste them if you wish. When they are all in then let killbox reboot.

Your computer will reboot and check to see if the file is gone.

Then post a new HJT log and also a new RKFiles log to make sure they are gone.

Thanks…pskelley
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:04:42 AM, on 5/11/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
C:\WINNT\Logi_MwX.Exe
C:\WINNT\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft IntelliType Pro] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3c1807pd] C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cmlink.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-3c1807pd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04a\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: ConferenceRoom Java Client - http://chat.ar15.com/java/cr.cab
O16 - DPF: {0B72CCA4-5F11-11D0-9CB5-0000C0EC9FDB} (Street Technologies ActiveX Control Object) - http://ftp.newaol.com/pub/sr-test/streetnoagent7.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7D1E9C49-BD6A-11D3-87A8-009027A35D73} (Yahoo! Audio UI1) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yacsui.cab
O16 - DPF: {8714912E-380D-11D5-B8AA-00D0B78F3D48} (Yahoo! Webcam Upload Wrapper) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yuplapp.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (ASquaredScanForm Element) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/axscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {E504EE6E-47C6-11D5-B8AB-00D0B78F3D48} (Yahoo! Webcam Viewer Wrapper) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yvwrctl.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\Brmfrmps.exe" -service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe



C:\log.txt

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL FILES FOUND BY THIS METHOD ARE NOT BAD FILES, THERE MIGHT BE LEGIT FILES LISTED AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHILE FIXING. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT IT IS LEAVE THEM ALONE.
Files Found in system Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\system32\cithlper.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\system32\DivX.dll: PEC2

Files Found in all users startup Folder…………
————————
Files Found in all users windows Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\tsc.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\vsapi32.dll: UPX!t4
Finished
bye
Well amtekco, We are making progress. I do not see the antivirus program I sent you in this log. It is important that you download, update and run that software as without it all kinds of viruses and trojans can get to your computer. Once you have it installed make sure you set it to run and update automatically so you do not have to be concerned with more than an occaisional check.

All but one of the items we Killboxed is gone, look here:
Files Found in system Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\system32\cithlper.exe: UPX! <<< this one must go.
C:\WINNT\system32\DivX.dll: PEC2

Files Found in all users startup Folder…………
————————
Files Found in all users windows Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\tsc.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\vsapi32.dll: UPX!t4

All others are legitimate files, Try the Killbox again and you only have one this time:
C:\WINNT\system32\cithlper.exe << put this in Killbox

You may have to try it in Safe Mode: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html
Run RKFiles and as soon as you see it is gone, then show me a HJT log and a RKFiles log and I will turn your loose.
Thanks…pskelley
pskelley.

1. I downloaded AVG. It wouldn't work because there was some conflict with a couple things on my computer. I haven't had time to straighten it out yet. All I have done on the computer in the last couple of weeks is come here and follow your directions anyway. I'll get it going here as soon as I can. BTW, I am running Zone Alarm. Can I run them both or should I drop ZA when I get AVG going?

2. I was reading through this thread and noticed I missed running RootkitRevealer.exe. I ran it and it said something like "no discrepancies found."

3. I ran Killbox again in Safe Mode for C:\WINNT\system32\cithlper.exe.

4. C:\unzipped\rkfiles

Files Found in system Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\system32\DivX.dll: PEC2

Files Found in all users startup Folder…………
————————
Files Found in all users windows Folder…………
————————
C:\WINNT\tsc.exe: UPX!
C:\WINNT\vsapi32.dll: UPX!t4

5. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 2:44:54 AM, on 5/15/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
C:\WINNT\Logi_MwX.Exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft IntelliType Pro] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3c1807pd] C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cmlink.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-3c1807pd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04a\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: ConferenceRoom Java Client - http://chat.ar15.com/java/cr.cab
O16 - DPF: {0B72CCA4-5F11-11D0-9CB5-0000C0EC9FDB} (Street Technologies ActiveX Control Object) - http://ftp.newaol.com/pub/sr-test/streetnoagent7.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7D1E9C49-BD6A-11D3-87A8-009027A35D73} (Yahoo! Audio UI1) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yacsui.cab
O16 - DPF: {8714912E-380D-11D5-B8AA-00D0B78F3D48} (Yahoo! Webcam Upload Wrapper) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yuplapp.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (ASquaredScanForm Element) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/axscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {E504EE6E-47C6-11D5-B8AB-00D0B78F3D48} (Yahoo! Webcam Viewer Wrapper) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yvwrctl.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\Brmfrmps.exe" -service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe

Thanks again, Amtekco.
Hi amtekco, let's look at this item by item.

1. I downloaded AVG. It wouldn't work because there was some conflict with a couple

You need to get something in place, not having an antivirus program onboard is very likely the reason you got infected in the first place. Here is another free one you can try. Keep in mind that later you can uninstall and replace it with something else if you with, I just want to something in place to protect you:
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Here is also a free AVG forum at CastleCops where you can ask for help with the installation issues: http://castlecops.com/modules.php?&name=Fo…ewtopic&t=86278

BTW, I am running Zone Alarm. Can I run them both or should I drop ZA when I get AVG going?

One is a firewall and the other is antivirus software, they do two different functions. Make sure you have allowed AVG to access the internet, right click on ZA and choose Restore Control Center, Choose Program Control on the left column then the Programs Tab. Under the Access Tab your AVG will need "Trusted" and "Internet" access (green checks)

2. I was reading through this thread and noticed I missed running RootkitRevealer.exe. I ran it and it said something like "no discrepancies found."

That is a very good thing.

RKFiles is clean

Your HijackThis log is also clean. I did notice that you are running ZAPro. The instructions I gave were free ZA free. I have never run Pro and have run the free version on three computers for many years. The one time I was involved with ZAPro (and I am sure this is a very good product) my daughter downloaded a free trial of ZAPro and had all sorts of issues. She removed the pro version and everything went back to normal. The may well have had to do with her computers configuration.

Please let me know about your progress, I will not be happy until I see a good, updated antivirus program running along with your firewall. I would also like to see:
Ad-aware, Spybot
SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard
and IE-Spyad
(all free programs)
But these have to be your decisions.
Good Luck
Phil Skelley
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI