This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Disk Space Question

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I got this computer (used), I put Windows 98 on it. It has three hard drives - one I use for Windows and other system related programs, one for graphics and related programs, and one for games and downloads. The main hard drive is partitioned into C, K and J drives. J is currently unformatted. When I updated to XP, I tried installing to my C partition and got a message that the partition was too small. I then installed on my K partition (~6gb), and all went well. I realize now that I should have just reformatted the entire drive, but I did have stuff on C that I didn't want to have to pick through and copy, and I had no idea that XP would take up so much space. A year later I'm constantly low on space on my K drive. I run "Disk Cleanup" every couple of days, to get rid of old restore points, temp files, etc., to put me back up to about 500mb of free space on K. I bought Partition Magic, thinking that I could fix things. When I ran it, I got a message that I couldn't repartition due to bad sectors on the main drive's partitions that Partion Magic won't repair. I'd like to free up a little room on my K drive, so I can avoid reformatting for now. Do you have any suggestions for installation archives or other large files that I can remove from my windows drive, or at least relocate copies of to one of my other drives? I do have my original XP upgrade installation disk. Thanks in advance for help on this!
hi suhaila, i would try using the hd manufactures floppy/cd. they have utilites you may be able to use to repair a hd. you can download also at there web site.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI