Deleted Member
Topic Starter
This is my first post to any forum, so bear with me if I make any mistakes.
I am trying to help a friend clear his PC of unwanted ad pop-ups. The pop-ups are occurring so frequently that it interferes with any downloads we attempt. He had been using a 56 kb modem to connect to the Internet via MSN.com. We tried to update his forms for TurboTax and the pop-ups made the download times unbearable.
I finally brought his PC to my house and connected it to my cable modem. The ad pop-ups are occurring faster than I can close them. I haven't been able to install any updates to his OS, which is Windows XP Home Edition because of the problem.
I have run Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy in an attempt to clean up the system. Each time I run the applications, they find more offending files, which are deleted. Some files are unable to be deleted because they remain resident in memory. I have run Norton Anti-Virus and it has cleaned up some viruses. The PC seems to infest itself each time I connect to the Internet.
I have read posts from other people and feel I have come to the right place. I'm sure I can clean up this machine with your help. Thank you in advance.
Mike Ammerman -
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 5:52:08 PM, on 3/22/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon04.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSDATLST.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSPRCSS32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Media Access\MediaAccK.exe
C:\Program Files\Media Access\MediaAccess.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\slserves.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\tlnccksp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server 20\appsrv\PicAppSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\giga pocket\GPVSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSDATLST.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSPRCSS32.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\usbsircs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Action Setup\VAServ.exe
c:\progra~1\Support.com\client\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.comcast.net/~wa3zje/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1601.0\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\WINDOWS\System32\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZTgServerSwitch] c:\program files\support.com\client\lserver\server.vbs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon04] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD04] "C:\Program Files\HP Photosmart 11\hphinstall\UniPatch\hphupd04.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MS windows Data list process] MSDATLST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MS Windows Process Class] MSPRCSS32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Media Access] C:\Program Files\Media Access\MediaAccK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] C:\windows\system32\eliteclr32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Auto Updates] slserves.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [51RZ] c:\windows\temp\51RZ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vkigc] C:\WINDOWS\tlnccksp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.0002.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [A6BvT2Q] C:\WINDOWS\tlnccksp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [enyjsx] C:\WINDOWS\enyjsx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MS windows Data list process] MSDATLST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MS Windows Process Class] MSPRCSS32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NAV Auto Updates] slserves.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MS windows Data list process] MSDATLST.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MS Windows Process Class] MSPRCSS32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NAV Auto Updates] slserves.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\billmind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Giga Pocket Remocon Driver.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\QWDLLS.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: VAIO Action Setup (Server).lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O16 - DPF: {15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windupdates.com/cab/6247971C…bridge-c267.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1111458382187
I am trying to help a friend clear his PC of unwanted ad pop-ups. The pop-ups are occurring so frequently that it interferes with any downloads we attempt. He had been using a 56 kb modem to connect to the Internet via MSN.com. We tried to update his forms for TurboTax and the pop-ups made the download times unbearable.
I finally brought his PC to my house and connected it to my cable modem. The ad pop-ups are occurring faster than I can close them. I haven't been able to install any updates to his OS, which is Windows XP Home Edition because of the problem.
I have run Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy in an attempt to clean up the system. Each time I run the applications, they find more offending files, which are deleted. Some files are unable to be deleted because they remain resident in memory. I have run Norton Anti-Virus and it has cleaned up some viruses. The PC seems to infest itself each time I connect to the Internet.
I have read posts from other people and feel I have come to the right place. I'm sure I can clean up this machine with your help. Thank you in advance.
Mike Ammerman -
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 5:52:08 PM, on 3/22/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon04.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSDATLST.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSPRCSS32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Media Access\MediaAccK.exe
C:\Program Files\Media Access\MediaAccess.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\slserves.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\tlnccksp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server 20\appsrv\PicAppSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\giga pocket\GPVSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSDATLST.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSPRCSS32.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\giga pocket\usbsircs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Action Setup\VAServ.exe
c:\progra~1\Support.com\client\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.comcast.net/~wa3zje/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1601.0\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\WINDOWS\System32\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZTgServerSwitch] c:\program files\support.com\client\lserver\server.vbs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon04] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD04] "C:\Program Files\HP Photosmart 11\hphinstall\UniPatch\hphupd04.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MS windows Data list process] MSDATLST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MS Windows Process Class] MSPRCSS32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Media Access] C:\Program Files\Media Access\MediaAccK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] C:\windows\system32\eliteclr32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Auto Updates] slserves.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [51RZ] c:\windows\temp\51RZ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vkigc] C:\WINDOWS\tlnccksp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.0002.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [A6BvT2Q] C:\WINDOWS\tlnccksp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [enyjsx] C:\WINDOWS\enyjsx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MS windows Data list process] MSDATLST.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MS Windows Process Class] MSPRCSS32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NAV Auto Updates] slserves.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MS windows Data list process] MSDATLST.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MS Windows Process Class] MSPRCSS32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NAV Auto Updates] slserves.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\billmind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Giga Pocket Remocon Driver.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\QWDLLS.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: VAIO Action Setup (Server).lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O16 - DPF: {15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windupdates.com/cab/6247971C…bridge-c267.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1111458382187