This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Hijack Log Info

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm posting my log just to be sure nothing is wrong. Nothing odd is happening with my computer. I'm just becoming a little paranoid. I currently use Win98se. I have IE 6.0 (all patched) I use Opera Ver 7.23 as my primary browser. I have Trojan Hunter, eDexter,AVG 7.0, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, spyblaster, reg protect and winpatrol. All programs have been updated with lastest definitions. I hope this is enough info. Anywhere here is my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 04:55:07 PM, on 3/22/2005
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BILLP STUDIOS\WINPATROL\WINPATROL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\REGMON\REGPROT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSWHEEL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PYRENEAN\EDEXTER\EDEXTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AGENT\AGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\OPERA723\OPERA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\MALWARE UTILITIES\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ;localhost;
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: IEWorkaround Class - {08442457-929D-4522-AE24-9D3E4664A0C1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\IE URL SPOOFING PATCH\IEWORKAROUND3.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\MOUSE\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegProt] c:\regmon\regprot.exe /start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakLogon
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [avgamsvr.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - Startup: Resource Meter.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
O4 - Startup: eDexter.lnk = C:\Program Files\Pyrenean\eDexter\eDexter.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} -
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} -
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab


Thanks for help, Marc
Hi darktower,

1. Run HijackThis (“Do a system scan only”). Put a checkmark near these lines:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} -
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} -


2. Close all other windows and browsers, and hit Fix Checked.

3. Reboot, make a new HijackThis log, and post it here :)
Hans, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I learned a harsh lesson. All the anti-spyware,virus,trojan etc, won't help when your computer crashes and you don't have a backup. About 2 hours after I posted my log, my computer self-destructed. :angry: Anyway, I reformatted and am still reinstalling my software. I will be posting a new HJT log in a day or two, but was going to start a new thread. Is that ok? I didn't want it to be confused with my original log. Thanks for your help and sorry :( for wasting your time. Marc
Don't worry about the time-part, your log wasn't taking that much time ;) It would be better if you posted your log into this thread. :)
Hans, thanks for the quick reply. Here is my most current log: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 1:55:39 PM, on 3/24/05 Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\PYRENEAN\EDEXTER\EDEXTER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\MALWARE\HIJACKTHIS.EXE R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by SBC Yahoo! DSL O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\PROGRAM FILES\BILLP STUDIOS\WINPATROL\winpatrol.exe O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakLogon O4 - Startup: eDexter.lnk = C:\Program Files\Pyrenean\eDexter\eDexter.exe O4 - Startup: Shortcut to RSRCMTR.EXE.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE Again, thanks for your time and effort, Marc
That one looks good! :)

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers real-time protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
I also suggest that you delete your Temp folders regularly. Use CleanUp! to do this automatically for you!
Thanks again Hans for the quick reply. I do use spyware blaster and lavasoft ad-aware plus I use HPguru's host file. I will try spyware guard and ie/spyad. I'm hesitant about spybot s&d because it seems unstable when I run it. Again, thanks for your time and effort, Marc
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI