This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

New Computer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Im getting a new computer next month, and I wanted to see what everyone here thought. I want this computer to be safe from most viruses or whatever (except for the freak accidents) so I was wondering what porgrams I could have that would help protect me from these things. Its been said the IE has security loopholes. Is there another, better Internet browser I can use? Thanks for your help.
I use Netscape 7.1, but Mozilla and Opera are also much more secure than IE. I would run a good firewall such as the free versions of Sygate or Kerio. An antivirus that you keep updated is essential. AVG is a good free one. Regular scanning by Spybot and/or AdAware (I would use both) after updating them is a really good idea. A spyware blocker like SpywareBlaster is a good idea and takes no substantial resources after it runs the first time to protect your system, you just need to update it occasionally. Be sure to install updates for Windoze, especially security updates or your system will be vulnerable no matter what else you do. Finally, one of the most important things is to be careful about where you surf… If you use the filth farm known as Kazaa, you are probably going to get infested no matter what you do to protect against it….
Ok here we go. What you NEED. You dont need more then 1 anti virus, however:

.::Anti Viruses::.

AVG Anti Virus (free from http://www.grisoft.com)
eTrust Anti Virus (free for one year http://www3.ca.com/)
NOD32 (Best Anti Virus $39 subscription http://www.nod32.com)

.::Anti Trojans::.

TrojanHunter (Pay http://www.misec.net/) <— Personal Prefrence
BoClean (Pay http://www.nsclean.com/boclean.html )
The Cleaner (Pay http://www.moosoft.com)

.::Anti Spyware::.

Spybot Search And Destroy (free http://www.spybot.info) <– Personal Prefrence
Ad-Aware (Free or pay http://www.lavasoftusa.com)
Aluria Spyware Eliminator (Pay http://www.aluria.com)
SpywareBlaster (free (only prevents spyware) http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html)
SpywareGuard (free (acts as a resident) www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html)
IE Spyad (free (adds restrictions in IE) www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm)

.::Firewalls::.

Kerio (pay and free http://www.kerio.com) <– Personal Prefrence
Sygate (pay and free http://www.sygate.com)
ZoneAlarm (pay and free http://www.zonelabs.com)

.::Other Software::.

Proxomitron (free (discontinued) http://www.proxomitron.info/)
Mozilla (Firebird) (Free (better then IE) http://www.mozilla.org)