This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Memory failed to be sized/enabled on dimension 8100

22 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying get at least one of my desktops up and running. I couldn't get my dimension 8100 to recognize the keyboard or mouse. To be sure it wasn't a corrupt HD, I booted to HD#2, but same thing. I found a motherboard for the dimension 8100 on overstock.com and thought I'd give it a shot (for $40 why not?). I took out everything, swiched out the motherboard, put everything back (and yes I replaced the thermal compound on the heatsink) and rebooted. The four diagnostic lights showed 2Y 2G which means "Memory failed to be sized/enabled." I also get 5-2-2-1 post beep "unsupported RIMM device count/technology." I took out my upgraded memory sticks, even though the machine had been running on them before, and reinstalled my original Dell memory (2 64's). When I rebooted I got the same error codes. I thought maybe the microprocessor had been installed incorrectly, so I removed them and went through all that again. Same error codes. The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure this was the same error code I was getting before I changed out the motherboard, so what could be consistent other than a motherboard to cause the system to not recognize memory? Can anyone shed some light on this one?
i don't think you needed a new motherboard just because the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. Are they compatable with your OS? Also, what about the drivers, did you try them before you switched motherboards?
I can't try any drivers because I can't get the computer to post. Normally I wouldn't resort to swapping out a mother board without being sure, but since the motherboard was only $40 it was an affordable option. Since the mouse and keyboard had been working, I didn't think it was a compatibility issue (although I was installing a new hard drive and reloading drivers). After swapping the motherboard and still getting the same problem, I replaced the keyboard and mouse (both PS2's), mainly because those were also cheap. That didn't work, so after reading up I decided to try swapping out the AGP card for a PCI video. Nothing… same beeps and lights. Do you think this is a power supply issue? Two sets of memory shouldn't all be bad. The mobo, mouse, keyboard, and video card are replaced. I don't think there's anything else left to replace, is there?
Okay, I think I can add some more here that might allow someone to help me. I have an old 8100 that wouldn't recognize the mouse/keyboard. I bought a new motherboard and installed it, transferring over all the PCI's, AGP, HD, etc. When I turned it on, a got no video. (Now I don't remember if the video had gone out before the new motherboard.) I think I messed up something by installing a PCI video card??? After I installed the new motherboard and reconnected everything, I turned it on and it gave me 5-2-2-1 beeps and 2Y2G lights. I assumed it was a video card issue, so I bought a PCI video card and installed it. Same thing. I disconnected everything, removed memory sticks and booted… same beeps, same lights. I reconnected all but left out memory…same beeps, same lights. I installed memory…beeps went away. Still have 2Y2G which according to Dell indicates "memory failed to be sized/enabled" but I get this when I reinstall the original memory also. I must have had something poorly connected before when it was beeping, so that part is resolved. HD is making the right noises and it seems to be going through post, I just can't see anything. After doing some more googling, I found out that when you change out a motherboard you have to update the chipset? I'm in over my head, but I now know I can't just slip in a PCI video when a system was previously using an AGP… or in this case, the motherboard hadn't even been installed yet and I was transferring over all my PCI cards and AGP. So I think I was supposed to do something to get the board to recognize the AGP or PCI or what? I'm just not sure what I can do when I can't see anything. I'm using a HD that was already set up for this machine, if that helps. Can someone tell me what to do next? I'm so close to having this thing back up and running. P.S. It was a Windows ME system (I'm planning to format and install XP once I know the parts work).
Hi Kath,

Frustrating!

You've got a few things wrong, probably just out of not having done the procedures before.
It's part of the adventure and learning, and hopefully the fun, but it can be frustrating too.

Thanks for letting us know that you are dealing with Windows ME.
Thanks for letting us know that you simply installed the physical components and then the HardDrive with Operating system already installed. (actually can't do that and expect things to Run)

PCI Video Card is "not likely" to Run with a Windows ME operating system. I'll have to read up on it a bit, but I don't think so, at least without some updated drivers.

It's also the case, (again I'm not sure because I don't know what MotherBoard you are using) that you cannot install a PCI Video Card (PCI-e Video Card?) into just any ole' PCI slot. Those PCI slots are designed for Modem, Sound Card, Network Interface Card, and the like. Those PCI Slots are not designed to handle the more intensive interaction and Voltage specific functions of a Video Card.

You can get pretty much any ole' AGP Video Card and install it into the AGP slot. There are a bzillion such old AGP Video Cards available to buy at eBay for around $5-$10 dollars. Having an extra laying around will likely help you out in future builds as well.

Yes, it's important to install the ChipSet Drivers……..But you're kinda ahead of yourself.

The Hard Drive with your Windows ME Operating System installed on it, does not "know" this newly assembled machine.

During the Windows ME installation process, the installing operating system identifies and lists the various physical components such as CPU, MotherBoard, ChipSet, RAM, Video Card, other peripheral PCI cards like Sound, Modem, NIC, etc. The installation routine actually searches and records the precise ID numbers of these physical compontents so that when it boots up, it will know where to look and what it expects to find.

The Windows ME on the Hard Drive that you have installed is looking for the ID's of the old machine that it was installed on. The old MotherBoard, etc. It's probably feeling quite lonely and confused right now when asked to Boot a system that is entirely strange to it. Since you physically installed some of the old physical components, you may have believed that the Hard Drive and ME operating system would "just recognize" the machine and boot up. Not so. (If I am terribly wrong in what I am saying here, one of our Experts will step in an provide corrective information)

So what's to do?

1. Get an AGP type Video Card

2. You'll need to actually format and reinstall the Operating System.
To do so with ME, you'll need a StartUp Floppy that has FDisk.
You can download and create such a Floppy from http://www.bootdisks.com

3. Download and install the ChipSet Drivers for your MotherBoard (you can download them from Dell and save to a CD, using another machine)

4. Download and install DirectX 9.0c (your machine/MotherBoard may only "accept" DirectX 8.1, but I'd try it with 9.0c first)

5. Install Firewall, AntiVirus, AntiSpyware

6. Install your application programs

7. Start using your new computer and have fun!

Please keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards
Thanks for all the good advice, Dough! I should have said that my Dimension 8100 was already set up for Windows Me with all of these components (minus the new PCI card). That's why I thought I could "fool" it into thinking it was still back home. I didn't think about the fact that even though is was an 8100 motherboard, it was upgraded firmware. Darn. I was intending to get it back up and running, and then format and start over with Windows XP. Also bought the PCI card after I was told it was compatible by a Dell support rep (a knowledgeable one) that was helping me with my %@#$@ 9100. That's another story! I also put a new motherboard into that one and stuck the original HD in and it works. Guess I got lucky that time. Anyway, I like your advice to get a cheap AGP to get up and running. Now I'm starting to wonder if I really got a PCI that was compatible. How would I know? Guess it doesn't matter because my next project is to build a computer, so this PCI card can go into that project later. I would like to buy a better AGP card for this 8100. www.newegg.com has some pretty good prices but I don't know how to know what will work on a Dell Dimension 8100. I'd like 128MB. And what is a PCI express? Is that different? I noticed my 9100 AGP card is a different size. I was going to "borrow" it out of that one… but no-o-o-o.
Hi KathiMI1,

Actually, the PCI card recommended to you by the Dell representative is probably correct for your machine.
I was in error. I was actually thinking of PCI Express card which are newer than PCI, and even newer than AGP.

HOWEVER, you say it was recommended to you by Dell when discussing your "%@#$@ 9100".
The Dell Rep may have been thinking "9100" and not "8100", but it will probably still work.

A PCI Video Card can be installed into any open available PCI slot. You probably have 5 PCI Slots all lined up parallel to each other. 2 or 3 of them are already filled with your Sound Card, your Dial-up Modem and maybe a Network Interface Card (NIC) to connect the machine to DSL/Network router.

That leaves you 2 empty PCI Slots. Either will work, but select one spaced as far away from the other PCI cards as possible, since Video Cards create more heat than most. So "skip" or leave an empty PCI socket between your other PCI Cards, and the PCI Video Card you are installing.

Did you buy the card in a new box? Probably, since Video Cards are not "returnable" once opened.
So you will have received instructions for installing the PCI Video Card and its Drivers.
If you have questions after reading the instructions, post back here.

A PCI Video Card is just fine. Once you have your machine running and on the Internet, you can Run the PCPitstop Full Tests to see how it is running, and what speed you are receiving. You can then make a decision about upgrading if necessary.

At this point, it may be worthless to get a spare AGP Video card, since looking at Dell 8100 specifications, I do not see that it has an AGP socket (Slot).

All PCI slots are the same size, shape, and color and are arrainged parallel next to one another.
AGP Slot is located Parallel to the PCI Slots but separated significantly away, and is a different color.
PCI Express Slot is also located Parallel to the regular PCI Slots, but again off-set in distance and is a different color.

Looking at the Dell 8100 specifications, I do not think you have either slots for AGP or for PCI-Express.

Best Regards

EDIT: If the problem of getting this 8100 with a new MotherBoard running was specific to the Video Card, then it would still Boot and show you a Screen Display at the basic 640 X 480 that is provided by that machine's "onboard" graphics:
Graphics adapter nVidia GeForce2 Ultra
Graphics chipset nVidia GeForce2 Ultra

It wouldn't "recognize" your Video Card until you installed the drivers.

So, again I am suggesting that the machine is not booting, due to the ME installation on your Hard Drive having been installed on the old machine, and not this one. Windows actually identifies the ID number of each component physically installed. That way, if you replace a physical component, Windows will "find new hardware" even though it may be the same type/model of component. Windows will then make a fresh installation of the new components Drivers to be sure that the match is correct and drivers running correctly.

Your thought about "updated firmware" may also be true, but it would probably have "failed" even with the same exact firmware, because the component ID's are "strangers" to the Operating System.

Format and install the operating system.
If there is DATA, Files, Documents, Tunes, etc on the Hard Drive that you want to SAVE, then install the Hard Drive into another Known-Good computer as a "Slave" Hard Drive. Then use that machine to copy/paste the various items you want to save, before installing into the current machine to Format and Install the Operating System. If you're going to XP with that machine, then I don't think there is any point in first installing ME, unless all you have is an XP "upgrade" installation CD.

Best Regards
The Dell rep was really very helpful and was giving me advice about my 8100 while we were formatting the 9100. Unfortunately I inherited someone else's problem when I was shipped a refurbished mobo to fix mine!

Anyway, my problem with the 8100 is that there is no video. I can't see anything to do anything. I get troubleshooting lights that indicate memory was unable to be sized, but the memory is fine. I have an open PCI slot, but the 8100 BOIS defaults to AGP and it is set to default now since I had to replace the CMOS.

I originally consulted another site where someone was experiencing the keyboard error which evolved into the black video screen. (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?p=310744#post310744) That post had the following response (to another guy in my boat) that I thought made sense, as best my limited knowledge could absorb…

"So I take out all the memory. Now I get memory error beeps."
OK, that's with the video card out also, but what do you get with the video card IN and all RAM out?

"it's locking up in POST before the video card."
I'd conclude that with the RAM in place the POST is running, passes all tests, but the POST then halts sometime after the RAM tests and before the first display of characters on the screen [BIOS copyright notice].
Here are those particular steps in a generic Phoenix BIOS POST…
2Fh Enable cache before system BIOS shadow
32h Test CPU bus-clock frequency
33h Initialize Phoenix Dispatch Manager
36h Warm start shut down
38h Shadow system BIOS ROM
3Ah Auto size cache
3Ch Advanced configuration of chipset registers
3Dh Load alternate registers with CMOS values
41h Initialize extended memory for RomPilot
42h Initialize interrupt vectors
45h POST device initialization
46h 2-1-2-3 Check ROM copyright notice
47h Initialize I20 support
48h Check video configuration against CMOS <—- I think this is my problem
49h Initialize PCI bus and devices
4Ah Initialize all video adapters in system
4Bh QuietBoot start (optional)
4Ch Shadow video BIOS ROM
4Eh Display BIOS copyright notice


"Can I prove that the memory is causing the lockup"
The RAM is NOT causing the POST to halt because it isn't failing the RAM tests [no warning beeps with the RAM in place; only with the RAM removed].

"What else could it be?"
One of those POST tests above, after the RAM tests are complete and before the first display.
It would typically be a faulty video card, or poor contact in its socket. I remember someone fixing this by cleaning the contacts.


"Even w/o a video card I'm not getting video error beeps (should I?)"
NO, normally there are no beeps generated by a video card failure [see the Phoenix BIOS POST tests above].

"I still think it locks up before it gets to the video"
Not so…
It halts before the 1st display. It could be halting at the video configuration check [mismatch between PCI configuration settings and AGP card in place], therefore failure to initialise the video card.
Before you reset to the PCI default it may have been poor contacts or a faulty card that caused a failure of initialisation.


"If I was using a PCI video card to troubleshoot, would I have to reset the CMOS to make it recognize PCI instead of AGP (what's currently in use)?"
YES…
Typically, the default is a PCI video card [what is your default card?]…
You get a display with a PCI card using the defaults, then [using the fact that you have a display, you] alter the configuration to use an AGP card, Save & Exit, switch off, switch to the AGP card, and Startup. The AGP card is in place and the settings suit that.
If you were to reset the BIOS defaults [which you did just lately] the AGP card would not work, so you'll need to connect a PCI card, go into the Setup, reset to use AGP, Save & Exit, switch off, fit the AGP card, switch on.


Okay… so now I'm going to show my ignorance and ask the following… where is BIOS stored? I think it must have something to do with the CMOS, but that doesn't entirely make sense to me. I'm trying to find a way to get BIOS to expect PCI, not AGP, since I can't change it if I can't get it past the video configuration check.
Hi KathiMI1,

I read your linked thread, and don't feel "quite" as bad about being stumpted as I did before.

I also read around a bit about the Dell 8100 and found that it references the 64MB nVidia GeForce2 GTS Ultra graphics adapter AGP card.

So maybe the prior "specifications" page for Dell 8100 Desktop, "overlooked" the possibility that the motherboard has an AGP slot. Have you confirmed that there is an AGP slot?

As to BIOS, it's stored on the motherboard.
Here's wikipedia's blurb to define/describe BIOS:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/BIOS.html

BIOS Last modified: Monday, August 23, 2004
(bī´ōs) Acronym for basic input/output system, the built-in software that determines what a computer can do without accessing programs from a disk. On PCs, the BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, display screen, disk drives, serial communications, and a number of miscellaneous functions.
The BIOS is typically placed in a ROM chip that comes with the computer (it is often called a ROM BIOS). This ensures that the BIOS will always be available and will not be damaged by disk failures. It also makes it possible for a computer to boot itself. Because RAM is faster than ROM, though, many computer manufacturers design systems so that the BIOS is copied from ROM to RAM each time the computer is booted. This is known as shadowing.

Many modern PCs have a flash BIOS, which means that the BIOS has been recorded on a flash memory chip, which can be updated if necessary.

The PC BIOS is fairly standardized, so all PCs are similar at this level (although there are different BIOS versions). Additional DOS functions are usually added through software modules. This means you can upgrade to a newer version of DOS without changing the BIOS.

PC BIOSes that can handle Plug-and-Play (PnP) devices are known as PnP BIOSes, or PnP-aware BIOSes. These BIOSes are always implemented with flash memory rather than ROM.



I suppose that the BIOS could be set to expect an AGP card, but it's hard for me to believe that you're not getting "any" response from your Monitor due to the abscense/faulty condition of an AGP card.

For instance, where are you connecting the Monitor cord right now?
On-Board video connector? The PCI Video card? do you have more than one option?

Various brands of machines have various keyboard keys to press to "enter Setup" or "enter BIOS" (same thing) With Dell, it is often F2, or Esc. That would allow the machine to load the Basic Input Output System display.

But if you're not getting any display at all on the Monitor?, you won't be seeing the BIOS display.
You are using a "known-good" Monitor, are you not?

There's a solution out there somewhere. Hopefully, when we stumble upon it, we will recognize it for what it is, instead of getting back up and moving on. :P

Best Regards
Yes, I'm connecting the Monitor cord correctly to the back of the computer… I'm not sure what an On-Board video connector is, but I have an AGP slot that has (or rather had) the video card. After getting no monitor at all, I switched it out for a PCI Video card. I'm not sure why you thought I saw BIOS on the screen, because I didn't. I just know how the hard drive sounded when it used to go through the whole boot cycle. As for the monitor itself… I know it works. I have a 9100 and 8100 side by side. I switch the monitor between the two to look up internet stuff and then try it on the 8100. It seems to be failing when it checks the video driver. I'm going to have to get another working AGP card and go from there. If I get this sucker up and running, is there a way to change the BIOS default so if the battery is removed again the default will be PCI?
BIOS defaults "are what they are". It may be that a "flash upgrade" of your BIOS will include "different" default settings. Once you get the machine "up and running" you can go into BIOS and toggle the settings as you prefer, but if you remove the CMOS battery, BIOS will return to the pre-determined default settings. Best Regards
You're been very helpful, Dough. Now that I'd decided to buy another AGP card, would you help explain a couple of things? If I buy an AGP card that runs with DirectX 7, will I be able to run it when I upgrade to DirectX 9? I'm a little confused on exactly what this DirectX is, but I do recall that I couldn't upgrade to DirectX9 before because I was running Windows ME. I intend to format the Hard Drive and go with Windows XP, but what should I do for now as I'm trying to get the thing to boot? Also, if I buy a card with more memory (128MB), is that what requires a fan? I noticed some cards had their own cooling (or in some cases even a heatsink). I don't want a powerful card like that, but I want one that will display in a timely fashion. Should I stick with 64MB? or can I go with a 128MB without fear of overheating the system? All this "what works with what" is so comfusing.
DirectX Versions are "backwards compatible", so you'll be fine with verion 9.0c.
Here's a quick blurb that may or may not help you understand DirectX.
http://www.techterms.org/definition/directx

Maybe plain English would be, that DirectX is a language and adaptation utility that allows your machine and its AGP, to successfully interact with Websites and production game/video display in the way that modern gamers write their programs.

I run an ASUS nVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 AGP card in this old Dell 600mhz machine. (I run DircetX9.0c)
The card has 64mb of memory. It has a Heat Sink for cooling, but no fan on the board. The heat sink is fitted such that I could install a small graphics card fan if I decided to, but instead I added an additional "case fan".

The card allows display at 119.49 MP/s (refers to millions of pixels per second). That's fine for my needs and would accomodate "some" of the relatively basic games, but an intensive gamer would want in the neighborhood of twice that amount.

So, is my display "brisk"? Or as you refer, does it display in a "timely fashion". Sure.
I can view online, saved or CD videos, from for instance, YouTube or ABCNEWS live and recorded clips with no problem. I "video conference" (voice, live webcam, and text) all over the world with no problem.

I wouldn't spend the money for a larger AGP video card on this old machine, but your machine would probably benefit from a better card than mine. My old machine could accomodate a better card, I just wouldn't benefit because I don't do gaming and don't have the CPU and RAM power to do much gaming even if I were interested.

Hope this has responded to your question.

Best Regards
Yes, that helps a lot. This old 8100 isn't for my use… it's for the kids to do homework, play music and download camera photos. We're not a gaming family. But if I get an AGP card like yours, do I need to install another fan? I was hoping to just install a new AGP and forget it. I was looking at BIOSTAR VN4000XB1T-H00 Geforce MX4000 64MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA D-SUB: 1 DirectX: DirectX 7 <— so I'll be able to use this card later when I go DirectX 9? Memory Interface: 64-bit <— is a system either 32-bit or 64-bit? or is this just a choice? OpenGL: OpenGL 1.3 <— don't know if this is important PixelPipelines: 2 RAMDAC: 350 MHz <— ??? Tuner: None TV-Out: S-Video Out VIVO: No Model #: VN4000XB1T-H00 Item #: N82E16814141009 I don't know what "core clock" is but it probably won't make any difference to me, right? This one didn't have one listed. I just want to buy a card for around $20-35 (the one listed above is $21 on newegg.com) and proceed. Too many choices.
That sounds fine. Since the machine previously had a working AGP card with the machine's current air-circulation cooling setup, that one you intend to install will probably be fine without additional cooling. If you decide to add another case fan, they are cheap…..approximately $12. And even though a Dell board isn't terribly accomodating when it comes to add-ons, it usually has a spare 3 or 4 prong case-fan power supply connector. Such a "spare connector" is usually white plastic and will have a "label" printed directly on the green motherboard next to it saying "case fan". the problem may become one of "where to attach the case-fan itself". But that's a step further on down the line, so I won't "borrow more trouble" at this point. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI