Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Gigabyte Boards

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 blindwizard

blindwizard

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

Ok, built two pc's both giga-byte boards, funny thing is both floppies did not and do not work in either pc. any help or idea would be greatly appreiciated. not that i use them much but why two broken floppies two new boards, cables and floppy drive. im stumped. THX in advance

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:13 PM

You have the floppy's set correctly in BIOS?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 blindwizard

blindwizard

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

You have the floppy's set correctly in BIOS?

View Post

Hi Crow thx for the reply, good question in the bios i have i think 3 different floppy settings and dont know what to set it to?

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:15 AM

Well.. set 1 or "A" to "On" and/or "1.44" ... can leave the others off (I would leave them off but if you want to run more than one floppy, which ...even though I wouldnt own a computer without atleast one floppy.. is probably not ness. and leaving them off will allow you to run virtual drives later on if need be)

#5 griffyn

griffyn

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

I also have a Gigabyte MB, (K7 Triton) no problems with the floppy drive - but after I updated (flashed) the BIOS it sees my AMD Athlon XP 2200+ as only a 1500+ :huh:

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:13 AM

Do you use the GUI that comes with the board software to adjust your clock settings?... could be why its doing that

#7 griffyn

griffyn

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

Hi Crow,

(any reference to MST3K with your nick? :) )

I made my changes in the BIOS Setup Utility. When I attempted to "Save and Exit" my PC just sat there doing nothing...only a cursor flashing in the upper left-hand corner. :( Other than the update, I can't imagine why it would behave so. Then again, I'm no PC Pro either. :oops:

Edit: BTW, I'm currently in the Tom Coyote Chat if you would care to pop in for a bit. ;)

Edited by griffyn, 21 May 2005 - 11:08 AM.

#8 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

Well.. Gigabyte did a fine job on the GUI, only problem is, it looks.. umm... to "safe". In other words anyone with a will to open it wouldnt have any quams about staying in there for awhile and playing with things. Even though BIOS is Basic Input and Output its a little deceptive. If your clock settings vary to much.. it will cause exactly what you describe.. along with any other number of things... like.. fry your CPU.. or your video card.. etc. If you have any.. ANY.. question on a setting.. ask us.. will help ya out.

#9 griffyn

griffyn

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:00 PM

ACK!!! :o

Fry my CPU?! My video card?! :wacko:

Well I certainly have some questions now!

Should I go into my BIOS and record the setting(s) in question? (whichever ones determine what we're talking about, I'm no PC Pro so I'll need a little guidance on exactly what to look for)

My brother seems to think the reason for the MB seeing my 2200+ as a 1500+ had something to do with the FSB setting, is that possible?

#10 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

Yes.. it could. What you need to do is boot to BIOS.. Choose to "Load default settings"... then it should reboot..Now go see what is says Come on back in chat if u can... I gotta go out of town here in a few but I will be in there till i go

Edited by Crow, 21 May 2005 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 griffyn

griffyn

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

OMG!!! :weee:

I did as you suggested, and now I'm running at 2200+ again! :D

ThankYouThankYouThankYou! :thumbup:

Edit: Well, it looks like I've missed you. :( I am amazed such a minor settings adjustment would work wonders! Why...I even hear the pre-boot beep now! :lol: I also got another DOS screen at boot screen(s) concerning my MB's RAID controller and new hardware detected when I reached the desktop. I let the wizard run, clicked finish and rebooted to a much, much faster (and happier I'll warrant) PC!

Thanks again Crow, maybe catch you in chat some other time. ;)

Edited by griffyn, 21 May 2005 - 03:28 PM.

#12 maynard

maynard

advanced

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

Ok,  built two pc's both giga-byte boards,  funny thing is both floppies did not and  do not work in either pc.  any help or idea would be greatly appreiciated.  not that i use them much but why two broken floppies two new boards, cables and floppy drive.  im stumped. THX in advance

View Post

Sometimes I make the mistake of hooking up the power cable or IDE cable on a floppy backwards. :oops: With some OEM floppies this can be pretty easy to do and can cause issues ranging from a non-working drive to a non booting system depending on which cable you flip.

I would recommend in addition to checking the BIOS settings crow suggested, checking your cables as well.

m
Don't Panic

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

#13 lethal

lethal

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

Well.. Gigabyte did a fine job on the GUI, only problem is, it looks.. umm... to "safe". In other words anyone with a will to open it wouldnt have any quams about staying in there for awhile and playing with things. Even though BIOS is Basic Input and Output its a little deceptive. If your clock settings vary to much.. it will cause exactly what you describe.. along with any other number of things... like.. fry your CPU.. or your video card.. etc. If you have any.. ANY.. question on a setting.. ask us.. will help ya out.

View Post

omg
seems like thats happening to me :ph34r:
i can't boot up sometimes :(
is there anyway i can check whether the CPU or video card has fried ?
Please visit and leave a comment in my guest book at Lethal's webpage
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#14 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:34 PM

The fact alone that you say "some times" rules out your cpu being fried. If it were you wouldnt be able to boot at all period. Your video card, I doubt, is the problem either. How much stuff do you have in your system tray (were your clock is)

#15 lethal

lethal

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

4-5 items in sys tray when i mean i can't boot up i mean that the computer doesn't even power up where there is a single beep sound is replaced by 4-5 consecutive beeps after which the lights keep on flashing :blink:
Please visit and leave a comment in my guest book at Lethal's webpage
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.