This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Rooting Out Duplicate Files

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I have a lot of files on my computer. Tons of music, thousands of images, saved over years and years. I know for a fact I have a lot of duplicate files spread across multiple drives (soon to be less drives but that's beside the point). To manually go through these files would simply take too long… especially considering it would require me to memorize each file in case I come across it again. I've seen some programs in the past (I don't remember their names) that can do similar things, but none of them did particularly well. What I'd like to find is a program that shows me a list of positive duplicates and thus allows me to delete them manually (I don't trust anything automated to this task.). Perhaps something that uses an MD5 hash check? Worth pointing out is that most of the dupes have different names, so simply doing such searches would prove fruitless. Anyone know a program that can get this done? Just a dupe finder, not something that will automatically delete anything.
Hello toyotomi,

I came across a program called Fast Duplicate File Finder. I read about this program on lifehacker.com. This program seemed to work pretty well on my computer. I was able to search a specific folder and soon enough was presented with a list of duplicate files. If there was a duplicate image file I was able to see a preview of what the image was.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
SweetTech.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI