Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91911 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer Shuts Down! (need Help!)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 meatwad

meatwad

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:36 PM

Whenever i play Warcraft III : The Frozen Throne, after about 30 minutes my computer shuts down. Its not from loose plugs, or anything because my monitor and speakers stay on. I think it may be overheating of my video card, but I'm not sure because when I play CS:S and HL2, it doesn't shut down! Any ideas of what could be causing this? Specs : AMD 64 2800+ ABIT KV8 PRO 9800 PRO 1 GB "Major Brand" Windows XP sp2

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Cornet, video games

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:28 PM

first of all, AMD rules..... now that thats out of the way... your cpu or video card may be overheating... That is my guess. There are some good free motherboard temp sensors... i cant think of if off of the top of my head ( i think its called motherboard monitor but im not sure) anyways, go and see what your cpu temps are.... If nothing else, you could leave your computer running for awhile, shut it down, and then check the temps in the bios. Did you build your rig yourself? If so, what theremal paste and heatsink fan did ya use? As to the videocard... Its not overclocked or anything right? Ive never heard of a videocard doing that....... but i really dont know much about video cards....
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005

#3 meatwad

meatwad

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

I ordered my computer from Cyberpower Inc (www.cyberpowerinc.com, they have custom prebuilts) I'm not sure if they used any thermal paste or anything, but I plan on calling them today to find out whats goin on. I didn't do any overclocking at all yet, I actually lowered the clock on my 9800 pro about 20 mhz on both the ram and gpu after this started. My brother thinks I have a faulty power supply, anyone else think this could be the problem?

#4 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Cornet, video games

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:13 PM

well a faulty power supply can do 1 of 3 things: 1.Not supply Enough power (this is the most common one) resulting in there not being enough juice to power the machine 2. Too much power coming throught the lines- resluting in higher temps, hanging, and frying 3. too much fluctuation: the psu cannot sustain any voltage.... I dunno what that would do.. most likely it wouldnt boot or it would hang Now to check these: Plug your power supply in..... then, get a multimeter and stick 1 probe in the red and one in the black wire leads of a power supply connecter.... ( this should come close to 5 volts (i think)) put one in the black and one in the yellow (this should be 12 v (i think)) put one in each black wire... (this should be 0 volts)

Edited by wng_z3r0, 25 February 2005 - 04:14 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005

#5 vultura

vultura

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:32 AM

A lot of motherboards can now monitor the voltages and temperatures at bios level, some can be monitored using small utilities that run under Windows.

A quick check at the Abit site indicates you can do this with the KV8 Pro - http://www.abit-usa....ies=1&model=176

They have a set of utilities called Uguru - http://www.abit-usa....ology/uguru.php

Which can monitor temps, voltages, even control fans....
Make backups of your registry and files, before making changes to your system.

Any changes/alterations to your system posted on this site are at your own risk.

If in any doubt - don't do, what you cannot undo.

HijackThis Spybot S&D CWShredder On-Line Virus Scan
Peper Remover Safe Mode- How To Show All Files - How To