This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Computer Shuts Down! (need Help!)

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Whenever i play Warcraft III : The Frozen Throne, after about 30 minutes my computer shuts down. Its not from loose plugs, or anything because my monitor and speakers stay on. I think it may be overheating of my video card, but I'm not sure because when I play CS:S and HL2, it doesn't shut down! Any ideas of what could be causing this? Specs : AMD 64 2800+ ABIT KV8 PRO 9800 PRO 1 GB "Major Brand" Windows XP sp2
first of all, AMD rules….. now that thats out of the way… your cpu or video card may be overheating… That is my guess. There are some good free motherboard temp sensors… i cant think of if off of the top of my head ( i think its called motherboard monitor but im not sure) anyways, go and see what your cpu temps are…. If nothing else, you could leave your computer running for awhile, shut it down, and then check the temps in the bios. Did you build your rig yourself? If so, what theremal paste and heatsink fan did ya use? As to the videocard… Its not overclocked or anything right? Ive never heard of a videocard doing that……. but i really dont know much about video cards….
I ordered my computer from Cyberpower Inc (www.cyberpowerinc.com, they have custom prebuilts) I'm not sure if they used any thermal paste or anything, but I plan on calling them today to find out whats goin on. I didn't do any overclocking at all yet, I actually lowered the clock on my 9800 pro about 20 mhz on both the ram and gpu after this started. My brother thinks I have a faulty power supply, anyone else think this could be the problem?
well a faulty power supply can do 1 of 3 things: 1.Not supply Enough power (this is the most common one) resulting in there not being enough juice to power the machine 2. Too much power coming throught the lines- resluting in higher temps, hanging, and frying 3. too much fluctuation: the psu cannot sustain any voltage…. I dunno what that would do.. most likely it wouldnt boot or it would hang Now to check these: Plug your power supply in….. then, get a multimeter and stick 1 probe in the red and one in the black wire leads of a power supply connecter…. ( this should come close to 5 volts (i think)) put one in the black and one in the yellow (this should be 12 v (i think)) put one in each black wire… (this should be 0 volts)