This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] My computer is 98% useless! Help! Please!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay so it started small, a few search results being highjacked, then accounts I have online started having magically changing passwords, so I decided to investigate. First I did what I always do and ran a full virus check (I use AVG's most up to date version), then I ran adaware. Neither provided any sort of information or errors. So I installed SuperAntiSpyware free edition. It found about 20 items and removed them. Then it asked me to reboot. I did. Upon rebooting SuperAntiSpyware wouldn't start (on boot load or manually). It would get fetal exception errors and crash. So I went out and did a search for new spy/malware removal software and ran across StopZilla (what a nightmare this has become). StopZilla ran and told me I had some keyloggers and malware but I had to pay for a key. Forget that! So I went to find something better…. thats when I found I could not access the internet at all. So I tried to uninstall it, no such luck! *sighs* Used a second computer to download SpybotS&D and MBAM. Booted into safe mode and tried to run them, they both crashed at startup with fatal exception errors. So I renamed the files and tried again (they ran perfectly) and got rid of most of my issues! Except I still couldn't connect to the internet, my computer has gotten very sluggish, and I can't get rid of this stupid STOPZilla. So on the other computer I downloaded hijackthis and LSPFix and I find StopZilla has added 2 LSP's. So I am able to access the internet but the computer is SLOW, internet is SLOW, and I still have all these traces and errors about StopZilla. ALL the support site I have checked say one of two things, they either say use the add remove programs (that does NOT work) or they give you manual directions telling you to move, rename, and delete files that don't exist on my computer. Hijackthis can't even remove the entry. I click it, say to delete, and it remains there…. no change! I don't know what to do to get rid of this mess. I am at a loss. Please help! (I have hijackthis logs but not sure if they will help or not). Just let me know if I should post them and where :o)
Hi and welcome - lets utilise that 2% you still have. What is your current status with regards to problems

Lets see what you have first

Download Rooter.exe to your desktop
  • Doubleclick it to start the tool.
  • A Notepad file containing the report will open, also found at %systemdrive%(usually C:)\Rooter.txt. Copy and paste it with your OTLI log.

THEN

  • Download OTListIt2 to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTListIt.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTListIt2.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
You can call this thread closed. I had NEVER found a solution to my problem on any web forum so I want to make it available for others. If you ever install stopzilla (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT TO) getting rid of it is a serious pain. No manual methods I tried worked, no software I tried worked, nothing considered stopzilla harmful. SO I went to the source of the problem.

First I was told to install a microsoft cleanup tool http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9…1bd/msicuu2.exe

After runing that the app appeared to be gone but still had some registries left over. Then I was told to download and install http://download.stopzilla.com/binaries/sto…ler/szclean.exe

After running that there were a lot of missing dll registry issues. So I ran CCleaner, all is fixed.

So if anyone has the problem of getting stopzilla out of their computer, this is the true solution as given by stopzilla support!

Thanks for trying to help, thread closed :o)
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI