I have some basic questions that I would greatly appreciate some guidance on:
(1) Through Computer Management and my registry I have permanently disabled all administrative shares but cannot disable the IPC$ share. How do I disable this share?
(2) Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser 1.2.1 tells me that it cannot determine if patch MS05-009 (Vulnerability in PNG Processing .. ) has been installed. I thought that the Windows Update site will take care of all patches, or do I need to go through and manually check patches? If so, how should I do this?
(3) In Windows XP Professional I have tried to enable CRT+Alt+DEL login (instead of welcome sceen) by making the registry change suggested in Microsoft's 5 Minute Security Advisor (http://www.microsoft...n/5min-103.mspx
) but it does not work. Is there another way?
(4) Apparently I should rename the administrator account, but in Windows XP professional I can’t see a way to do this … How is it done?
(5) How do I find out about any failed login attempts?
(6) My DSL-504 modem/router responds to pings – I have contacted tech support and they cannot help. Any recommendations on a hardware firewall? Ideally I would like a firewall with the absolute maximum security possible ...
Thanks In Advance