Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Some Basic Security Questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BillWallis

BillWallis

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:46 PM

Hi I have some basic questions that I would greatly appreciate some guidance on: (1) Through Computer Management and my registry I have permanently disabled all administrative shares but cannot disable the IPC$ share. How do I disable this share? (2) Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser 1.2.1 tells me that it cannot determine if patch MS05-009 (Vulnerability in PNG Processing .. ) has been installed. I thought that the Windows Update site will take care of all patches, or do I need to go through and manually check patches? If so, how should I do this? (3) In Windows XP Professional I have tried to enable CRT+Alt+DEL login (instead of welcome sceen) by making the registry change suggested in Microsoft's 5 Minute Security Advisor (http://www.microsoft...n/5min-103.mspx) but it does not work. Is there another way? (4) Apparently I should rename the administrator account, but in Windows XP professional I can’t see a way to do this … How is it done? (5) How do I find out about any failed login attempts? (6) My DSL-504 modem/router responds to pings – I have contacted tech support and they cannot help. Any recommendations on a hardware firewall? Ideally I would like a firewall with the absolute maximum security possible ... Thanks In Advance Bill

Advertisements

Register to Remove