This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

"pop-uppers" Help With Hijack This Logfile

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I'm new to hijack this, and this forum and would greatly appreciate any help. I've run ad-aware and spybot (routinely) to try and remove a bundle of spyware that got on my system. I think it started with a Web Toolbar that auto-installed an auto installer on my machine. I was able uninstall both of these, but am getting a "pop-upper" window and bogus ads. As I previously stated, I've run up-to-date adaware and spybot and a full-system scan with McAfee more than once with no luck. I've discovered hijackthis through looking at previous posts, but need help with the log. Thanks again for your righteous site!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:26:07 AM, on 2/1/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypserv.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\mmups.exe
C:\WINDOWS\newpop446.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsxsvc\wsxsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\ggviewer81-21.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Broadband Networking\MSBNTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\Downloads\Maintenance\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bluestart] C:\\rraut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mediamotor.exe] C:\WINDOWS\mmups.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [loads.exe] C:\WINDOWS\newpop446.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dvx] C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsxsvc\wsxsvc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Broadband Networking.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AD Black List - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Block All Images from the Same Server - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Highlight - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open All Links in This Page… - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.media-motor.net
O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqna/downloads/sysinfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by101fd.bay101.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {78AF2F24-A9C3-11D3-BF8C-0060B0FCC122} (AcDcToday Control) - file://C:\Program Files\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 3\AcDcToday.ocx
O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqna/downloads/msxml4.cab
O16 - DPF: {8D83D301-E841-11D1-B155-00600823BCF9} (WebLine Browser Integration Classes) - http://collsrv.thrifty.com/webline/applets/msie40x.cab
O16 - DPF: {AE563720-B4F5-11D4-A415-00108302FDFD} (NOXLATE-BANR) - file://C:\Program Files\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 3\InstBanr.ocx
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {C6637286-300D-11D4-AE0A-0010830243BD} (InstaFred) - file://C:\Program Files\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 3\InstFred.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://by101fd.bay101.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F281A59C-7B65-11D3-8617-0010830243BD} (AcPreview Control) - file://C:\Program Files\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 3\AcPreview.ocx
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Crypkey License - Unknown - crypserv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
Welcome to the forum.

HowToShowHiddenFiles - <—enable this
SafeMode<—make sure you know how to do this

Did you put this in your Internet Explorers trusted zone? If not have HJT fix it also.
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.media-motor.net

Press Control-Alt-Del to enter the Task Manager.
Click on the Processes tab and end the following processes if listed:

mmups.exe
newpop446.exe
wsxsvc.exe



Exit the Task Manager when finished

Close all programs down, leaving only HijackThis running.
Place a check against the following items:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mediamotor.exe] C:\WINDOWS\mmups.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [loads.exe] C:\WINDOWS\newpop446.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dvx] C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsxsvc\wsxsvc.exe


Click on Fix Checked and exit HijackThis.

Reboot into safe mode and delete these files/folders:

C:\WINDOWS\mmups.exe
C:\WINDOWS\newpop446.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsxsvc\wsxsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsxsvc<—folder too!!

Clean out temporary and TIF files. Go to Start > Run and type in the box: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure these 3 are checked and then press *ok* to remove:

Temporary Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin

Reboot and post a fresh HJT log and lets see how we did, MrC
MCharlie, Thanks for your help. I got a big problem now… I did as you instructed, but after rebooting from safe mode and cleaning, I got several error messages stating the following: Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore the original version. The network location from which the files should be copied C\Windows\SystemProgramFiles\!386\controls.man not available. And now my computer won't start windows. I see the "Dell" screen, and then it shows me a screen that asks me to select a mode to run windows in (Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, etc. Last time windows worked properly, etc) but windows will not start in either of these modes. Ouch. Is there anything I can do? I have another computer (thank goodness) so I'm not at a complete loss, but all my photos etc. are on the one that is down. Should I remove the hard drive from the non-working computer and link it to my working comp. copy my files, and then what? Desperation. Fear of my wife's wrath for losing pictures etc. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've installed the non-booting hard drive into my working computer and am attempting to back up my treasures. Maybe I can fix the problem by accessing the drive in this manner…? thanks again.
Not good, are you sure you only deleted these files/folders?
None of these are Windows files, there all malware.

C:\WINDOWS\mmups.exe
C:\WINDOWS\newpop446.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsxsvc\wsxsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsxsvc<—folder too!!

Let me know, I'll see if I can get you some help, I don't run XP so I can't advise you. MrC
it's possible, I suppose, that I erased another file by accident looking at the results… I've backed-up all my important files, but I'm not sure how to reinstall xp on the machine. I tried booting the machine with the reinstallation cd in the drive, but it doesnt boot enough to recognize it. Any ideas?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI