Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Newbie Really Needs Direction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lolobud

Lolobud

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:13 PM

Hi all,

I'm Lolobud, concider myself below novice level when it comes to computer difficulties.

I've had troubles with a very sluggish computer, and I have done what I can to eliminate unnecessary programs/etc. from my hard drive and it seems to show little if any results. (I would like to know if there is a way to burn programs that were installed with the computer, but no CD's given, when purchased--to a CD so that if I want to use them, I can do so from the CD rather than having them take up space on the drive.)

I have had some issues with wierd emails that I have recieved from people/companies I have never sent emails too...that state that they have blocked my email as a result of paticular viruses detected. Even when I do most of my emailing from web-mail.

I had Norton System Suites on at the time, enabled, and updated. It reported no viruses. I went to online scanning places like Housecall, nothing found.

I uninstalled Norton, and purchased a new program called System Suite which included a firewall, which I had not previously had. I always have it on.

I keep it updated, and scan regularly, nothing shows up. :(

I have had issues with many different types of error messages, often have issues with Internet Explorer or my own Internet provider (Juno) having errors and shutting down.

I have very litte disk space left, and am not sure where to begin.

I did a dogpile search on spyware, and checked out this site: http://www.wvps.org/...02/unwanted.htm

I have followed some of the steps, and had some difficulties along the way.

I downloaded spybot, ran it and it found 46 problems, and it fixed all but 4. It said it had to fix them upon start-up. Then I closed out of everything. Restarted my system, and it began without me doing anything. I walked away for a moment, and came back to find my system frozen. There was one button "ok" to press, I did, and I was given an error message stating there was a problem loading Explorer.exe and that I would have to reload windows. I hit cont/alt/del twice and rebooted just fine. Once I was back up and running, I went back to spybot, checked for problems, and the message stated error, and text was written in another language. It also reported no immediate threats found.

I then folowed the instructions on the above website and downloaded HijackThis 1.99.0. I have run it, but am really confused as to what to do next.

I have a lot of things that start up upon start up that I would like to stop...if I knew how. Can things run in the background without having an icon present on the bar? If so, how do you view them, and stop them if you don't want them running?

What tasks, besides routine delete of cookies, clean up of temp internet files, scan disk, and defragging can be done to "clean up" my hard drive?

I am running on Windows 98SE

Any direction most appreciated.

Lolobud

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

hello Lolobud

go ahead and scan again with htj, then copy paste the log in this forum: i will keep an eye out for it.

http://forums.tomcoy...hp?showforum=27
How Can I Reduce My Risk?