This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Extreme Spyware Disaster- Dml

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Go to the prefetch directory and delete all files there. Just the files not the Prefetch directory itself.

Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
I deleted the files from the prefetch folder.. there were 98 of them.. some looked legit, some didn't. Anyway, I deleted all, then empied the recycle bin. Here is my new Hijoack log: =============== Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 2:57:18 PM, on 1/22/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\ooiyiw.exe C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE C:\Documents and Settings\Ray Terry\Desktop\anti-spyware\HijackThis.exe O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\MPS\mscifapp.exe /embedding O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe" O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ? O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing) O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing) O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE O18 - Protocol: cetihpz - {CF184AD3-CDCB-4168-A3F7-8E447D129300} - C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hpuiprot.dll O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
Two more questions/concerns When I rebooted just now, there was a program MSMSGS.exe that keeps wanting access to the internet, ZoneAlarm asks me to accept or deny. I am denying it each time I reboot, until I know what my permanent decision should be. I see that it is part of sometheing called "Messenger". Is this "MS Windows Messenger"? and is this necessary? And why does it need access to the internet everytime I reboot, when I'm not even running any "Messenger" program? 2) Can I remove all of the McAfee stuff, and just rely on AVG (which I haven't yet installed) and ZoneAlarm, plus the anti-spyware programs I listed at the beginning? The McAfee Privacy Service is annoying!.. And my friend doesn't need to pay for it if the other programs do as good or better. 3) Is there a "basic" HOSTS file you would recommend that would block lots of the most onerous spyware programs? I have one on My own computer, that I downloaded from somewhere, and update it manually from time to time. I believe it is beneficial.. plus I don't mind it when the Sportsline and CNN pages, etc have holes where their ads would have been. Thank you again for all your help.
DARN **** Expletive deleted **** I was just browsing on sportsline.com, and clicked on a link to see some college basketball results, and I ended up at (spaces in URL inserted by me): http:// www. top-40-casinos. com/ top40. html? cool And all of the sportsline.com pages now come up quite slowly, and poorly formatted at first (like their CSS file isnt here yet!) What gives??
more bad news…. "CNN.com can't be found" "GOOGLE.com can't be found" but your site comes up quite quickly…. now google came up, but CNN.com came up as something like vegas.com (I closed the window before it coud load completely.) This is weird… But, I trust you "guys" (ladies and gentlemen that is) to come up with the problem and solution. Thanks
any new help from anyone? any answers to my questions? I'm trying to be patient… but we made such good progress.. then there were those setbacks… I'll check back in a little bit…

Is this "MS Windows Messenger"? and is this necessary

Yes that's MS Messanger. We can get rid of it.


Can I remove all of the McAfee stuff, and just rely on AVG

Yes.




"copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Since my last post…. I ran MS Anti-spyware, Spybot S&D, and AdAware, rebooting in between. I saw some spyware in MS and Spybot, then I ran CW Shredder because Cool WWW Search was one of the problems identified and cleaned by Spybot. Then, I ran MS Anti-spyware, Spybot S&D, and AdAware, all again, rebooting in between. This time no spyware was identified by any of them I haven't yet removed McAfee products.. I haven't yet blocked MS Messenger (I know how to block it in Fire Alarm.. is that the best place to block it?) Here is my Hijack log" ============== Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 7:54:40 PM, on 1/23/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FREECELL.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE C:\Documents and Settings\Ray Terry\Desktop\anti-spyware\HijackThis.exe O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\MPS\mscifapp.exe /embedding O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McRegWiz] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcregwiz.exe /autorun O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ? O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing) O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing) O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE O18 - Protocol: cetihpz - {CF184AD3-CDCB-4168-A3F7-8E447D129300} - C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hpuiprot.dll O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

I haven't yet blocked MS Messenger (I know how to block it in Fire Alarm.. is that the best place to block it?)

Lets see if this will stop it from loading.

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
There "had been" no more problems on the computer, I had installed AVG antivirus, and removed all parts of McAfee somewhere since my last post. I also installed a large HOSTS file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ .

Then I decided it was time to install Windows Service Pack 2.. it took quite a while in preparation, then downloaded all of it's files, installed lots of files, but then quit when it couldn't find a particular file (I didn't write down the name).. it kept asking for that file over and over each time I clicked OK.. I had to use Task Manager to kill the process and then reboot… the reboot told me Service Pack 2 was unstable, and that I should uninstall… I uninstalled, it told me about lots of programs that "might not work"… I cringed and then clicked on "proceed anyway" (or whatever it said)… the uninstall took a little while.. and then told me to reboot… the reboot was quite slow.. came up with a 640x480 screen.. but then proceeded to refind all the hardware and drivers and had me reinstall again.. and restored a better screen resolution.

then.. I was up and running and working just great… I was quite impressed!!!!

I reran AVG.. I reran the Spybot S&D, AdAware & MS Anti-Spy.. and all were clean.

Everything seems to be running just fine on the computer right now.. Although it does not have Service Pack 2.. but, I'm not gonna worry about that.

Then.. I did as you instructed in your previous post… the Hijack log is below:

I am prepared to call this "case closed".. a success!!!!!… (unless you see something else??).. And thank you for all your help. You are great!!.. patient, and very knowledgeable. Thanks again!

:) :wavey:
GentleGeek
============
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 12:36:10 PM, on 1/25/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Ray Terry\Desktop\Dennis Lynch\anti-spyware\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpybotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot-S&D1-3\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck /autofix /waitstart
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O18 - Protocol: cetihpz - {CF184AD3-CDCB-4168-A3F7-8E447D129300} - C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hpuiprot.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
Good Job :thumbup:


Log looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Click Start> My Computer, select the Tools menu and then Folder Options, after the new window appears select the View tab…]
This time select the: Restore Defaults
Select: Apply, and click OK




If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D
LD… I see that this thread is still showing as open…

I do consider it closed. I do not have the subject computer anymore anyway…

I did see your last post before returning the computer, and I did clear restore points and set a new one.

While I was working with the computer I had installed ZoneAlarm firewall, and AVG antivirus, which I had stated in my posts… But thank you again for reinforcing their importance.

I also have Spybot S&D, AdAware SE, and Microsoft Anti-spyware all running on the computer to protect against future infections. I did not install/run Spywareblaster, Spywareguard or IESPY AD. I did install a HOSTS file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ .

Further, I installed Firefox for Internet, and Thunderbird for email, and recommended my friend/customer no longer use Internet Explore or Outlook Express.

My friend is quite happy that his computer is now virus and spyware free, and also well protected from future infections.

Thanks again for all your help.

GentleGeek :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI