This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Limewire

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I have seen various websites and spyware utilites claim that limewire is spyware.Does anyone know if this is true?If so..to what extent is it a risk..besides the obvious risk taken when opening your machine to others..?
I think the article states that "paid" versions come without all the bundled stuff. Not sure to tell you the truth as I do not use any P2P programs on my system.
I know that a program called Diet K removes the spyware/adware that comes bundled with Kazaa, but I do not know if it works with Limewire. All P2P is dangerous to me so I avoid it and advise the students that I have to help to stay away from them too.
ok..thanks for the input..I have limewire..but as of yet I havent had any problems at all..I was just wondering if it was all hype or if there was truth to it..
Here is what I know about P2P: Kazaa, Limewire, BearShare and P2P network load a computer with loads of spyware and unnecessary programs that increasingly slow down a computer. Also since there is no standard to peer to peer being virus free makes it a game of Russian Roulette.

besides the obvious risk taken when opening your machine to others

first start with a clean p2p client. the risk comes with what you >download< or think you download, not sure- scan it with av first, esp extensions like .exe, zip .iso .rar etc. its really no different then crap you can pickup on the internet, or have installed as 3rd party "extras"– people who download this and that, launch it,click here and there, open e-mail attachments etc etc will soon be posting HJT logs somewhere.