This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Jpeg File Type Disappeared From List ...

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I while ago I removed the xrenoder-hijack from my computer using HijackThis and the help of a hijack-forum. However, ever since (and I am not sure if it relates to this clean-up exercise) I have the following issue : I used to be able to open jpeg images with my browser (WIN 98, IE 5.0) by double clicking any file with an .jpg extension. Now it no longer works. I found out that file types and the associated action-after-double-click is defined under < Start : Settings : Folder options : File Types >. It appears that there is no (longer a) registered file type called "JPG Image". Adding a new type also does not work since there is also no longer a content type (MIME) for jpg (Image/jpg). Anyone any idea of this is indeed related to the xrenoder issue and / or knows how how to deal with this ? Your help would be highly appreciated. Tx, Bert
Through a friend I got the following solution : First see if you can reassociate the files with IE. Hilite a .jpg then hold down the shift key and right click it, click Open With in the popup menu. Scroll to IE and select it as the app to use. For the moment uncheck "Always use this prog…….", click Apply, click OK. If it works out for the .jpg, then go back and place a check next to " Always use this progr……" to keep the association. And it worked! Thanks for reading my question anyways. Bert