This will eliminate DLL caching, programs won't re-launch as quickly as before, but it'll bring closure to every close. Perfect for low memory systems or programming environments. The slowdown is almost unnoticed on fast systems and can leave memory for intense operations clear to be used such as video editing.
Fire up REGEDIT.EXE and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer" – create a new String Value in the right pane and name it: "AlwaysUnloadDll" (remove quotes " ").
Give this new string a value of 1,
close the Registry Editor.
Your computer may need to be rebooted to see this change affect.
FOR MEMORY LOSS IN XP, YOU RECOMMENDED:
WinXP Unload DLLs: Go to Start - Run - type in "REGEDIT" without quotes and press enter.
The Registry Editor opens up. Now use the lefthand explorer pane to find this key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"
Still in the lefthand pane, right click on the Explorer folder and choose "New - KEY".
Give it a name of "AlwaysUnloadDLL" (without quotes and capital letters are important).
Inside that key change the default string to 1 and close regedit and reboot.
This tweak is perfect for low resource systems. The drawback of using this is a very small slowdown in the initial opening of programs, but this isn't half as bad as it sounds. And the benefit of using this tweak far outweighs the drawback.
Name—————————-Type——————————Data
(Default)———————–REG_SZ———————(value not set)
Which of the above is the "default string" you mention, "Name," "Type," or "Data" where we type in a "1"?
TIA,
JD
Thanks Much Tom C.
Great little trick!
For Jack Duggan>>…."Which of the above is the "default string" you mention, "Name," "Type," or "Data" where we type in a "1"?
Maybe I can help put some lite on it…….
AFTER U find >>"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer" – create a new String Value in the right pane and name it: "AlwaysUnloadDll" (remove quotes " ").
Go back to the "AlwaysUnloadDll" place, Right click it…the same as you did to "Name it" with MODIFY…..another box will open asking for a "value amount" this is where u type in "1".
The new value will be in hex=decimil form. Just close out of "REGEDIT" and reboot.
Its working on my system with very noticeable speed. I see some programs which kind of hung around in the tray before….. now they disappear QUICKLY!
The mail X program I use scoots across the page in closing to bring up my email program.
The tweak completely shutts down the .dll for the just previusly used programs. Its what a defragger s suppose to do.
Hope this helped.
gets
Go back to the "AlwaysUnloadDll" place, Right click it…the same as you did to "Name it" with MODIFY…..another box will open asking for a "value amount" this is where u type in "1".
IS THAT WITH OR WITHOUT THE QUOTES? i.e. 1 or "1"
Tia,
JD
Yes Sir. Thats WithOUT,,, the quotation marks.
The tweak works really well. Nothing has been affected as in other adjustments Ive done in the past and had to revert my hard drive to recorrect.
A very novel integration, forsure!!
Tom C. must have had some idle time on his hands to share the correction with us all. He does things like that every so often ;-)
I have 766RAM and I wasnt sure if the tweak would help or not. But, I use over 600 megRAM on a regular basis and even my wife has commented on the adjustment. She is a yaHoo gamer.
reply to this thread if you need anything.
gets
Hi. I just saw this tweak. Pretty interesting, when I went into my registry, it had a REG_DWORD as the value 1, instead of a REG_SZ (String) value. Does this make any difference?
Thanks.
Copy and paste the text below in blue into notepad and save it as fix.reg and make sure the "Save as type" field says "All files". (make sure REGEDIT4 is right at the top of notepad)
Save it to your desktop
Just wondering if this could have anyeffect on java based programs, casue ever since I did this tweak my computer has sped up dramatically but I'm have trouble with java. I dont know much about computers so I dont even know if this could be a possible cause or just a coincidence.
Thanks
Hi,
Woops! I should have checked my registry first. The entry was there, set to {default}, so I changed it to a 1.
Now to reboot and see what happens!
—
Original post:
Does the DLL memory tip work for Win200 Pro?
Thanks!
Dugie