This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

- First Hijackthis Log -

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just installed HiJackThis because there has been some serious problems with my computer. I had this 'from IIS Goggle' advert constantly being displayed on my computer as well as a 'ClickThruTraffic' link appearing in my browsers highlighting certain words. I was advised to install 'SpySubtract' and consequently installed three of their programs - AdSubtract, SpySubtract and CWShredder. However, even though the adverts disappeared, I could not get onto Windows Update, cookies were constantly disabled and my browsing was extremely slow. Also, another program I downloaded called XoftSpy 3.45 found that I had 'CoolWebSearch' on my computer but everytime I used CWShredder, it never found it! It was until then that I found out that AdSubtract has major problems and leaks out all my information! I can't uninstall it because apparently there is no function available - I constantly get an error message. After download HiJackThis, I have gotten the following log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 23:33:46, on 19/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ACS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Toshiba Applet\thotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSBattM.exe
C:\Program Files\CASIO\Photo Loader\Plauto.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
C:\Program Files\EPDOA\OAHotkey.EXE
C:\Program Files\Eyeball\Eyeball Chat\EyeballChat.exe
C:\Program Files\NewTrillianPro2\trillian.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Lucia Wong\My Documents\Stuff\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: SkyTxtObj Class - {F767AC20-EB7C-4E9A-A38B-606D41366889} - C:\WINDOWS\skytxt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PadTouch] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THotkey] C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Toshiba Applet\thotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPSMain] TPSMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - Startup: AdSubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\AdSubtract\AdSub.exe
O4 - Startup: OAhotkey.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPDOA\OAHotkey.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Photo Loader supervisory.lnk = C:\Program Files\CASIO\Photo Loader\Plauto.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17D72920-7A15-11D4-921E-0080C8DA7A5E} (AimSp32 Class) - http://makeover.ivillage.com/save/makeover.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {31E68DE2-5548-4B23-88F0-C51E6A0F695E} (Microsoft PID Sniffer) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/odc.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{123D9502-2735-4A49-9EB4-56C62D3D76D4}: NameServer = 205.252.144.28 218.102.23.77
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{123D9502-2735-4A49-9EB4-56C62D3D76D4}: NameServer = 205.252.144.28 218.102.23.77

What can I delete? PLEASE HELP! It would be so appreicated!
Hi Smileyloose,

You mention you want to unistall Adsubtract. Have you tried untinstalling it from the Control panel/ Add - Remove programs? Is it listed there? If it is, try to uninstall it from there.

Suggest you do the following:

Open HJT and put a check mark next to this entry:
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL



I see you have Spybot, that's good. Lets try Adaware too.

Here are instructions for Adaware.
Download the latest version of Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

After installing AAW, and before running the program.
Please be sure to update the reference file following the instructions here:
http://www.lavahelp.net/howto/updref/

Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan:

Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.

Click the "Scanning" button.
Under Drives, Folders and Files, select "Scan within Archives".
Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.

Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
Click the "Advanced" button.
Under "Log-file detail level", select all options.
Click the "Tweaks" button.

Under "Scanning Engine", select the following:
"Unload recognized processes during scanning."
Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
"Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Click on 'Proceed' to save these Preferences.

Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds and then REBOOT to allow it to finish.

Spybot Search and Destroy:



1. Run Spybot S&D, accepting the Default Settings

2. In the Menu Bar at the top of the Spybot window you will see 'Mode'. Make certain that 'default mode' has a check mark beside it.

3. Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D

4. Click the button to ‘Search for Updates’ and download and install the Updates.

5. Next click the button ‘Check for Problems’

6. When Spybot is complete, it will be showing RED entries BLACK entries and GREEN entries in the window

7. Make certain there is a check mark beside all of the RED entries ONLY.

8. Choose ‘Fix Selected Problems’ and allow Spybot to fix the RED entries.

9. REBOOT to complete the scan.

Delete all your temp files - Here's how:
Step 1:Delete Temp Files
To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This should open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there. If you get an error when deleting a file, skip that file and delete all the others.
Step 2: Delete Temporary Internet Files
Now I want you to open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted


Close all program windows and browsers, except HJT.

Run HJT - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING

select SAVE LOG, and save it to your HJT folder after you save it, a notepad will pop up. Copy the ENTIRE contents of notepad. Then post the new log here in this thread.

Thanks,
Sky
Hey Sky, Thanks so much for your reply. Before I do the HiJackScan again along with your recommendations, I would just like to say and ask: 1) I have tried going to 'Control Panel' to 'Add/Remove' the program 'AdSubtract' but that facility is no longer available. The thing is, I tried doing that before and it said that it had already been uninstalled but that was definitely wrong because it was still functioning! I deleted the files hoping that the program would uninstall inself but being silly, it didn't happen. The second time I tried 'Add/Remove' to uninstall 'AdSubtract', I got a message saying that the process couldn't be performed because it was removed already. Then 'Add/Remove' asked me if they could remove the whole 'AdSubtract' entry in the 'Add/Remove' programs because it was redundant. I said no. I scanned with Norton Anti-Virus One Button Checkup and it said that it found one missing uninstall file and then when I clicked 'Fix', I think it took the 'Add/Remove' function away in the 'Add/Remove' programs place. So unfortunately, it is still present on my computer. What can I do? 2) I already use Adaware (Lavasoft) program and I'm not sure why your program didn't spot this. Does that mean something is wrong with the program? 3) I installed the trial program of XoftSpy 3.45 to scan and it found the following: - TROJ_DLOAD.A - w32.coflop_mm - w32.chainsaw.worm Yesterday, my computer shut down on its own in order to protect itself, with Windows stating that it was going through a process of physical dumping. Thankfully, my computer is functioning again and once I scanned with this program again, it couldn't find anything. What does that all mean? Thank you for your help. It'd be good to get a reply again and I'll take into action your recommendations tomorrow. Regards, Lucia
Welcome Back -

Ok, to answer some of your questions -
First, for right now, don't worry about the Adsubtract program. We can take care of that later.

Second. Uninstall Xoftspy 3.45 This is a rouge Spyware program that gives Flase postives:
Go here to read about it:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-s…re.htm#products
After you uninstall it, reboot.

Please refrain from making any changes on your system, unless directed to do so, until we complete the fix.

Please do the fix as recommened above (delete the one entry with HJT and run the scans with Spybot and Adaware) and repost a fresh HJT file.

Thanks,
Sky
Dear Sky,

Following all your instructions, I scanned with both Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

The former program didn't find anything except negligble objects (23 of them).

However, for Spybot Search and Destory, I'd like to mention that each time I scan my computer with it, it finds something called "DSO Exploit" and finds that five registries have been changed, which are:

1) HKEY_USERSSS\S-1-5-18\Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3
2) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-492654671-1694649392-2751592458-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3
3) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3
4) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3
5) HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

I remove them each time and immunise to protect but I still these DSO Exploits each time. What does this mean?

The newest HiJackThis log is below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 20:33:08, on 25/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ACS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Toshiba Applet\thotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSBattM.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\CASIO\Photo Loader\Plauto.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
C:\Program Files\EPDOA\OAHotkey.EXE
C:\Program Files\NewTrillianPro2\trillian.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Lucia Wong\My Documents\Stuff\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: SkyTxtObj Class - {F767AC20-EB7C-4E9A-A38B-606D41366889} - C:\WINDOWS\skytxt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPSMain] TPSMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THotkey] C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Toshiba Applet\thotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PadTouch] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - Startup: OAhotkey.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPDOA\OAHotkey.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Photo Loader supervisory.lnk = C:\Program Files\CASIO\Photo Loader\Plauto.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {001EE746-A1F9-460E-80AD-269E088D6A01} (Infotl Control) - http://site.ebrary.com.eproxy1.lib.hku.hk/…s/ebraryRdr.cab
O16 - DPF: {17D72920-7A15-11D4-921E-0080C8DA7A5E} (AimSp32 Class) - http://makeover.ivillage.com/save/makeover.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {31E68DE2-5548-4B23-88F0-C51E6A0F695E} (Microsoft PID Sniffer) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/odc.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{123D9502-2735-4A49-9EB4-56C62D3D76D4}: NameServer = 205.252.144.28 218.102.23.77
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{123D9502-2735-4A49-9EB4-56C62D3D76D4}: NameServer = 205.252.144.28 218.102.23.77

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to your reply!

Regards,

Lucia
Welcome Back -

The DSO Exploits in Spybot are a glitch. You can go here to download the patch and read about it:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

Open HJT – Close all windows and browsers except HJT.

Please put a check mark next to these entries and select FIX:

O2 - BHO: SkyTxtObj Class - {F767AC20-EB7C-4E9A-A38B-606D41366889} - C:\WINDOWS\skytxt.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

Reboot and post a fresh HJT file – Any problems? Is the computer running ok?
Thanks,
Sky
Dear Sky, I went to the webpage you sent me to download the patch for Spybot Search and Destroy (files.4.majorgeeks) but the program still finds 'DSO Exploit'. What can I do to prevent this from happening? Your reply would be appreciated. Thanks! Regards, Lucia
Dear Sky,

After following your instructions, the newest log is below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 19:50:50, on 28/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ACS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Toshiba Applet\thotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPSBattM.exe
C:\Program Files\CASIO\Photo Loader\Plauto.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
C:\Program Files\EPDOA\OAHotkey.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPSMain] TPSMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THotkey] C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Toshiba Applet\thotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PadTouch] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - Startup: OAhotkey.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPDOA\OAHotkey.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Photo Loader supervisory.lnk = C:\Program Files\CASIO\Photo Loader\Plauto.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {001EE746-A1F9-460E-80AD-269E088D6A01} (Infotl Control) - http://site.ebrary.com.eproxy1.lib.hku.hk/…s/ebraryRdr.cab
O16 - DPF: {17D72920-7A15-11D4-921E-0080C8DA7A5E} (AimSp32 Class) - http://makeover.ivillage.com/save/makeover.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {31E68DE2-5548-4B23-88F0-C51E6A0F695E} (Microsoft PID Sniffer) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/odc.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab

So far, the computer seems to be running fine although I still have the problem with the removal of 'AdSubtract'. What can I do?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

Regards,

Lucia
Welcome Back -

The DSO Exploit is a security gap in IE.
Microsoft did already repair this, so if you have all Windows updates and patches installed, it will not be dangerous for your system. Spybot S&D will still find it, because it contains an invalid value.

As far as AdSubtract it's not running on your latest scan. I think Spybot took care of it. Just to be sure, you can look for this folder in RED and delete it, if it's still there:

C:\Program Files\interMute

Next, lets clean up some temp folders: Here's how:
To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

Open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there.

Step 2: Delete Temporary Internet Files
Open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted
put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed.

Your log is clean…
Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

And also see Tony Klein's good advice "So how did I get infected in the first Place?"
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051



Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.


Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

Run Spybot and Adaware on a weekly basis, be sure to check for updates before you scan.

Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.


Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

Install IE-Spyed
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

E-SPYAD adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer.


Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.


Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.

Sky
Dear Sky,

Thanks for your reply. I'd like to tell you the progress and also raise another few questions:

1) I deleted the remaining 'Intermute' file - does that mean the program 'AdSubtract' won't run anymore? There's still a section for this program on my Start Menu - should I delete that too?

2) I deleted the temporary folders on my computer but couldn't remove: ~DF4A04.tmp for some reason. It says that it is being used by another person or something and can't be removed at the moment. This is the same error message as I got last time - does that mean something is wrong?

3) When I am surfing the internet, I find that lots of the Java Script doesn't show. For example, this page: http://www.blurty.com/userpic/1206400 shows a little picture but there is supposed to be some flashing occuring on the page around the words. However, I can't see this (I only found that it could be animated on another computer at school) and so I was wondering, is there any way of fixing my internet connection so I'd be able to see these animations working?

4) Is it safe to download the suggested programs: SpywareBlaster and IE-spyed as you said? I'm scared about my computer messing up again.

5) Currently, I use ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall. Is that good enough?

6) For anti-viruses, I use Norton 2003 and also AVG. Are they safe enough?

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to your reply!

Regards,

Lucia
Regarding AdSubract, Yes, you can delete it from your start menu.

Deleting files: Try this – Reboot into safe mode, Here's how:
*Restart the computer.
*as soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
*Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode menu item
*press Enter.
Now go in and delete your temp files - like this:
To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

Open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there.
Reboot normally.

Regarding: http://www.blurty.com/userpic/1206400

I see no flash or animation on this picture ?? Can you see animation on this website?
http://www.dresstheturkey.com/

All of the programs I recommended a safe. Otherwise I would not have suggested them.
Zone alarm is fine. Norton and AVG are both fine, However you should only use ONE Anti Virus Program not Two. Using 2 AV programs can cause conflicts. I'd stick with Norton and keep it updated regularly.

Thanks,
Sky
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.


To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI