This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Internet Explorer Help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hey Fellas, Hows it going? Just had a couple of quick questions I just recently downloaded XP Service Pack 2 and it modified a few things in my computer. 1) I used to be able to open up small news clips and stuff like that directly in my windows browser (with windows media player opening up a blue column on the left side of the browers). For some reason after I downloaded Service Pack 2, I cant open up the mpeg files. Occasionally it will try to open it up with quicktime. Is there any way I can get back to the old way of opening up the mpegs in the internet browser? 2) After I downloaded Service Pack 2, it makes my actual internet explorer pages almost full screen size. I used to open up multiple stories at the same time and the stories I opened up were in small browers set the size I wanted. Now, for some reason it opens up all my browsers in the big size, which slows down my surfing a lot. Previously, I could set the size and "close or "x"" out the browser and the following pages would be that size. Now I can't do this anymore. Is there any way I can correct this? 3) When I used to open up .wmv files it used to open up in my winamp video (which I thought was very convinient). After Service Pack 2, it opens it up in windows media player. Is there any way I can revert back to opening these files in winamp?? Please let me know what you all think. Sorry if these sound like super basic questions, I just thought the pros out there would know more than me. Thanks for your help. :) Lauren M.
I may be able to help with a few of your problems.

To change the application windows uses to "open" a certain type of file (such as *.wmv) do this:

1. Place the cursor on the file and

2. In the window that opens up, "Open with" > "Choose program".

3. In the next list that opens up, choose the application you want windows to open this type of file with, then "check" the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

I hope this works for you.

I'll have to do some research about the screen size.
:)
Micah, I actually tried the right click thing and it only gives me the option of 1) Open Link 2) Open Link in new window. So, I dont think that will work. Any more suggestions?