Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Major Problems - Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 szxasq1

szxasq1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:30 AM

I'm not sure exactly who or where to ask for help so if anyone can give me assistance (or direct me somewhere) it would be most appreciated.

My wife's computer was running slowly so I ran Norton Virus Scan. It found approximately 30 files that were adware so I (stupidly) decided to manually find the files and delete them, rather than running Spybot. Because of my stupidity, three problems have occurred.

1. An error message for Java Virtual Machine Launcher pops up every time I turn on the computer.

The error message reads “Could not find the main class. Program will exit.” I researched this problem on the Java website and eventually was able to get rid of the error message by using the System Configuration Utility and unchecking the Startup command. The command starts as:

javaw –cp <file path>

and the file path to which it refers I manually deleted from the registry.

I’ve tried to delete the startup command, but I can’t seem to do it. Is there a way in which I can remove this startup command from the System Configuration Utility? I have also tried unsuccessfully to remove the adware in question (WebSavingsfromEbates) using Add/Remove Software in the control panel.

2. My Internet Explorer no longer accesses the internet.

I’m not sure if this problem is the result of problem #1, or whether I screwed something else up. I know that I still have access to the Internet thru my cable as I have successfully received Windows Updates since this problem occurred. When I open by browser on any website, it tells me that the website is not available. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, or will I have to reinstall Internet Explorer?

3. System Restore will not allow me to access any previously saved restore points.

I hadn’t used System Restore for many months on the computer in question, but I do know that I have restore points in the past. Currently, System Restore will not allow me to scroll back into months prior to October 2004. Is this normal? Do restore points eventually expire? Is there any way around this problem? I imagine that if I can restore my machine to a prior date, then some of the current problems might be fixed.

If any of you can help me, I would be forever indebted. If any further information is needed, I’m willing to communicate via email or even telephone.

Thanks, Jeff Wall

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jacee

Jacee

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,695 posts
  • MVP

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:26 PM

Hi szxasq1 :) You might need some extra help.

Download HijackThis! from here
Put it in it's own folder:
Click My Computer, then C:\
In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Start a new thread in the Hijackthis Logs and Problems forum explaining your problem, include your saved HJT log (Copy and paste it in the new thread)

Don't try to 'fix' anything yourself.

MS MVP-Security 2006~2016

#3 'KotaGuy

'KotaGuy

Retired Staff-Malware Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:28 PM

Jacee beat me to it. Do what she said :D