This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Major Problems - Need Help!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I'm not sure exactly who or where to ask for help so if anyone can give me assistance (or direct me somewhere) it would be most appreciated.

My wife's computer was running slowly so I ran Norton Virus Scan. It found approximately 30 files that were adware so I (stupidly) decided to manually find the files and delete them, rather than running Spybot. Because of my stupidity, three problems have occurred.

1. An error message for Java Virtual Machine Launcher pops up every time I turn on the computer.

The error message reads “Could not find the main class. Program will exit.” I researched this problem on the Java website and eventually was able to get rid of the error message by using the System Configuration Utility and unchecking the Startup command. The command starts as:

javaw –cp

and the file path to which it refers I manually deleted from the registry.

I’ve tried to delete the startup command, but I can’t seem to do it. Is there a way in which I can remove this startup command from the System Configuration Utility? I have also tried unsuccessfully to remove the adware in question (WebSavingsfromEbates) using Add/Remove Software in the control panel.

2. My Internet Explorer no longer accesses the internet.

I’m not sure if this problem is the result of problem #1, or whether I screwed something else up. I know that I still have access to the Internet thru my cable as I have successfully received Windows Updates since this problem occurred. When I open by browser on any website, it tells me that the website is not available. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, or will I have to reinstall Internet Explorer?

3. System Restore will not allow me to access any previously saved restore points.

I hadn’t used System Restore for many months on the computer in question, but I do know that I have restore points in the past. Currently, System Restore will not allow me to scroll back into months prior to October 2004. Is this normal? Do restore points eventually expire? Is there any way around this problem? I imagine that if I can restore my machine to a prior date, then some of the current problems might be fixed.

If any of you can help me, I would be forever indebted. If any further information is needed, I’m willing to communicate via email or even telephone.

Thanks, Jeff Wall
Hi szxasq1 :) You might need some extra help.

Download HijackThis! from here
Put it in it's own folder:
Click My Computer, then C:\
In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Start a new thread in the Hijackthis Logs and Problems forum explaining your problem, include your saved HJT log (Copy and paste it in the new thread)

Don't try to 'fix' anything yourself.