Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Java And Netscape 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Authentic Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:01 PM

I use (and like) Netscape 7 as my default browser. I had Sun Java JRE 1.4.0_01 installed and running fine under Netscape 7. Tech support at POGO suggested to my wife to upgrade to a later version of Java to addess an occassional 'freezing' problem on one of the POGO games. So I uninstalled jre 1.4.0_01 and installed jre 1.4.2_05. The installation went just fine, but Netscape would no longer run any java apps. I recall in the past that to get java to work in Netscape, I had to manually copy the NP*.dll files from the java folder to the Netscape plugin folder. I did that but it did not help. Netscape *does* have the java plugins listed when I do an about plugins from the menu. When I try to enable 'Netscape 6 or later' from the Java control panel applet, I get an error that tells me that Netscape is not properly installed or I do not have permissions to make the change. That same error existed with the old 1.4.0_01 installation, and did not cause any problems. Netscape is installed in C:\Program Files\Netscape7\Netscape7 instead of the default C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape7. Attempts to uninstall 1.4.2_05 and reinstall 1.4.0_01 fail because the installation routine finds 1.4.0_01 still installed and only offers to uninstall. OK'ing that and trying again only produces the same results. System restore creates a situation where if I try to run a java applet in Netscape, Netscape just closes. Support for Netscape 7 seems to be rather sparce. Pointers to any other possible source of Netscape 7 support would be appreciated.
Derfram
~~~~~~

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Proud Member of ASAP
Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:55 PM

The file you want to copy is plugin.jar, try that and post back.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Authentic Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply Crow. After about 14 hours of playing around, I finally got it working. It's a very long story, moving various components of Netscape between two hard drives - one with working java, the other not - but there was nothing wrong with any of the programs files. Had to have been a registry entry of some kind. I ended up backing up both the C:\Program Files\Netscape7 and the ....Application Data\Mozilla folders, reinstalling Netscape 7, and then restoring the backed-up folders to get all my customizations back. Now working with Java JRE 1.5.0
Derfram
~~~~~~

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Proud Member of ASAP
Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:38 PM

Thats about right isnt it :\ well atleast its working now.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"