This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Java And Netscape 7

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I use (and like) Netscape 7 as my default browser. I had Sun Java JRE 1.4.0_01 installed and running fine under Netscape 7. Tech support at POGO suggested to my wife to upgrade to a later version of Java to addess an occassional 'freezing' problem on one of the POGO games. So I uninstalled jre 1.4.0_01 and installed jre 1.4.2_05. The installation went just fine, but Netscape would no longer run any java apps. I recall in the past that to get java to work in Netscape, I had to manually copy the NP*.dll files from the java folder to the Netscape plugin folder. I did that but it did not help. Netscape *does* have the java plugins listed when I do an about plugins from the menu. When I try to enable 'Netscape 6 or later' from the Java control panel applet, I get an error that tells me that Netscape is not properly installed or I do not have permissions to make the change. That same error existed with the old 1.4.0_01 installation, and did not cause any problems. Netscape is installed in C:\Program Files\Netscape7\Netscape7 instead of the default C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape7. Attempts to uninstall 1.4.2_05 and reinstall 1.4.0_01 fail because the installation routine finds 1.4.0_01 still installed and only offers to uninstall. OK'ing that and trying again only produces the same results. System restore creates a situation where if I try to run a java applet in Netscape, Netscape just closes. Support for Netscape 7 seems to be rather sparce. Pointers to any other possible source of Netscape 7 support would be appreciated.
Thanks for the reply Crow. After about 14 hours of playing around, I finally got it working. It's a very long story, moving various components of Netscape between two hard drives - one with working java, the other not - but there was nothing wrong with any of the programs files. Had to have been a registry entry of some kind. I ended up backing up both the C:\Program Files\Netscape7 and the ….Application Data\Mozilla folders, reinstalling Netscape 7, and then restoring the backed-up folders to get all my customizations back. Now working with Java JRE 1.5.0