Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Java not working

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hi I have been directed here by someone on another forum who has been helping me with a malware problem. As part of this process i needed to update Java from the v1.4.2_01 that was previously installed to the most recent version 6 update 7. This seems to be installed properly but does not operate. I have checked this at the Java site (http://java.com/en/d...help/testvm.xml). I have checked all of my configurations as suggested at this site and these all appear to be OK. Has anyone else experienced this? If so how did you fix it? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

I have checked all of my configurations as suggested at this site and these all appear to be OK.

Java is enabled in the web browser ?
http://java.com/en/d.../5000021500.xml

it's a big site....what page of things to check did you follow ?

Edited by Tallon41, 09 October 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#3 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Have you tried a uninstall of the old version and then an install of the new?

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything beginning in "Java ™". Then go here:
http://www.java.com/...www.java.com:80
And install the latest version.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

:welcome: humble22,

We hope you enjoy the forum, there is so much to read and learn here.

I have been directed here by someone on another forum who has been helping me with a malware problem.

Was your system cleared off Malware at the previous forum helping you?

I agree, uninstall all JavaRuntime from Add and Remove, reboot and download the latest JR 6 update 7

Keep us posted on your progress.

kind regards,

#5 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for your thoughts:

it's a big site....what page of things to check did you follow ?

On the test page http://java.com/en/d...help/testvm.xml
There are links to three other pages:

If your applet is not displaying properly, please check these additional configurations.
1. Enable the JRE through your Web browser
2. Enable the JRE through the "Java Plug-in Control Panel"
3. Clearing your Web Browser Cache

These in turn suggest the following:

1: CAUSE
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is not enabled in the web browser. If the JRE is already installed but applets do not work, you may need to enable the JRE through your web browser.
SOLUTION
Please follow these instructions to enable the Sun JRE though your Web browser:
Internet Explorer 4.x and Up
Click "Tools" --> "Internet Options"
Select the Advanced Tab, and scroll down to "Java (Sun)"
Check the box next to the Java version *
Next, select the Security Tab, and select the "Custom Level" button
Scroll down to "Scripting of Java applets"
Make sure the "Enable" radio button is checked.
Click OK to save your preference

* in my case it does say "requires restart" against this item. Is this indicative of my problem? Obviously I have "restarted" several times since the installing the software.

2: CAUSE
The Java control panel is not configured to use the web browser. If the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is already installed but applets do not work, you may need to enable the JRE for your web browser.
SOLUTION
To see whether your browser is configured to use the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or not, first open the Windows Control Panel. From the Start menu button, select Settings, then Control Panel to open the Control Panel. You should see the Java Coffee Cup logo icon in the Control Panel.
Double-click the icon to open the Java Control Panel.
In the Java Control Panel, click the Advanced tab.
Click on + icon next to Default Java for browsers.
Make sure the box next to Internet Explorer, Netscape, or Mozilla is checked.
If it is not checked, click the checkbox to enable the JRE for your Web browser.
Click Apply.

3: For Internet Explorer 4.x and Up
Click "Tools" from the Internet Explorer menubar
Click "Internet Options..."
Click the "General" Tab
Click the "Delete Files" button in the "Temporary Internet files" section
If you still have a problem, repeat the steps above and restart the computer.

I have checked/done all of the above. All settings appear to be as stated.

Have you tried a uninstall of the old version and then an install of the new?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything beginning in "Java ™". Then go here:
http://www.java.com/...www.java.com:80
And install the latest version.

Yes, I have already tried to uninstall all versions of Java (including the use of a JavaRa.exe to remove last traces of these) and reinstall the latest version but with no success.

I do not know if it is linked but I have had a similar problem trying to install software and drivers for a Canon printer/scanner. The software appears to load OK, the pc recognises that the printer is attached, seems to know that the software is there, but refuses to recognise that the two are in any way associated. Printer therefore does not work!

Was your system cleared off Malware at the previous forum helping you?

Yes, I have been given a clean bill of health.

Any further ideas still welcome! I knew this wasn't going to be easy.

#6 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

Could you elaborate on the problem perhaps? You say that the computer recognizes that Java is installed, but how do you know that it's not working? Like specifically what is showing you that you don't have Java.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Could you elaborate on the problem perhaps? You say that the computer recognizes that Java is installed, but how do you know that it's not working? Like specifically what is showing you that you don't have Java.

Vectris,

I think this link in humble22 first post did this.

It can also be done with this link too.

best regards,

#8 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

could you post a link to the malware thread....(or post what 'system information' shows. [start---accessories---system tools---system information ] what browser are you going to be using ? Tallon41

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

This is his thread in Malware Removal Forum. Reading through it, sure looks like everything has been covered, even running JavaRa to remove all traces of Java before installing JRE 6U7.

I wonder what Dependency Walker would show when run against C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java.exe? On my computer, where Java works correctly, the only error flagged is MSJAVA.DLL which is expected since there is no MSJAVA.DLL any more.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#10 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks again to everyone who has taken an interest in this. There have been several questions asked since I last logged on but it looks as if most have already been answered!

If you check through my malware thread, which Ztruker has supplied the link to, you can see the that the Java issue first came about when I was asked to run Kaspersky. This required a newer version of Java than my pc then had. I therefore updated to the jre1.6.0_07. Having done this however Kaspersky still wouldn't run because it did not recognise that this version of Java had been installed. I also cannot run Secunia Software Inspector as was suggested as this also requires a Java applet.

what browser are you going to be using ?

I am using IE7

I wonder what Dependency Walker would show when run against C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java.exe? On my computer, where Java works correctly, the only error flagged is MSJAVA.DLL which is expected since there is no MSJAVA.DLL any more.

I would need a bit more help with this one. I have done what I think you are asking for but would not know what to do with the results. The program gives the following result:
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.
The error flags appear to be against the following:
DWMAPI.DLL (a timer plus a large question mark) "error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified (2)."
MPR.DLL (a timer and red hatched square)
SHLWAPI.DLL (a timer and red hatched square)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hi humble22,

It would not hurt for you to do the following while we are waiting for Ztruker to come online to reply to his suggestion and your appreciation of it regarding Dependency Walker. SFC scan will make sure you have no corrupt or missing .dll files with your OS.

Keep us posted as we will get to the bottom of this to be sure.

kind regards,

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack ie SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.
_______

System Restore Point Facility

Go to:
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore
follow the onscreen directions.
Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.
see how you go.

Note 1
Using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2
It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.

#12 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hi Tallin - I'm afraid that I don't have the full windows XP installation disc. The pc (bought from MESH in UK) came only with a disc entitled "MESH Computers Recovery CD-ROM". Is this likely to be of any use to me? It is still sealed with the warning " Do not open or attempt to use this CD without the specific instruction to do so from the MESH technical support department".

#13 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

Can you borrow one as in the above quote?
I have confidence that is you could run the SFCScan, your Java problems maybe behind you.

I have not the confidence or the knowledge to comment on

" Do not open or attempt to use this CD without the specific instruction to do so from the MESH technical support department".

Why not ring MESH technical support deparment and ask them?

The above would be my suggestions for you at this time.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 11 October 2008 - 03:06 PM.

#14 humble22

humble22

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

Why not ring MESH technical support deparment and ask them?

Sometimes the obvious suggestions are the best!

I think it's an office hours only helpline so it will be Monday earliest before I can try. It will also take a little while to ask around to see if I can get hold of a proper windows XP installation disc so it may be a while before I reply again.

Many thanks.

#15 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

Do not open or attempt to use this CD without the specific instruction to do so from the MESH technical support department.

If MESH give that warning on the CD in question, it must be for a very good reason.

Have you any other paperwork from them as mostly always here in Australia, tech help deparments are 24/7? Google them and see what you get, or take a look at the paperwork that came with the computer, you never know what you may find. Google results here also.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you go.

kind regards,