This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Rundll32 Error

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

When I goto Add/Remove and select Windows set-up I get a Rundll32 has caused an error in setupx.dll message can anyone offer advice on how to fix this
First run an online virus scan.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co…n_principal.htm

If nothing found see if this doesn't apply.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177847

PW

Edit: Found this.

Go to C:\Windows and look for "layout*.inf" file/s and rename these to "layout*old", reboot & you should now have regained access to the Windows Add/Remove Windows Setup screen.

It is now safe to delete the "layout*old" files if you wish.
HI crow Thank's for your reply sorry I been busy My O/S is a full version of Windows ME. first of all I've ran a Virus scan that was Ok Clean of any spyware too Also re-install files both created into my C:\windows folder however still getting an error I am using Ad-aware and a paid for registry cleaner and I'm just wondering if something like this is what's caused this At the minute it is the only problem that I find I'm having and thankfully it's not a major one because at the minute I can use the Add/remove control panel and also create a Start-up disk ourwilly
well.. theres a couple things. First have you been making restore points? Secondly, and if you dont have restore points, if you have the Windows ME installation cd you copy the files you need to proper folder overwritting the old ones. Being that Windows ME did not come with the SFC option thats the only thing I see to do aside from reinstalling windows.
Had that same 'Rundll32 caused an error in setupx.dll' problem. Did the 'delete all "layout*.inf" files thing & the error went away. Didn't do much good though, as then I could see the windows components, but couldn't add or remove any! Found the solution eventually though, and am pretty sure of the cause too. If you delete some unused folders in "C:/Program Files/" (in my case "Outlook Express", "NetMeeting", and "Messenger") AND THEN use a registry cleaner, the cleaner will remove these folders from the listing that is part of : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\VarLDID] If all the folders are not in this key, you get the rundll32 error. Fix it by re-making the missing folders, adding them back to the registry, replacing the 'layout*.inf' files if you removed them.
More info on this problem. Following the steps of my post above, I though it was all fixed as setup was then able to add/remove windows components properly. Not quite so. I've since discovered that some of the components are no longer listed. I noticed yesterday that briefcase was not listed under accessories anymore - not just uninstalled, but completely missing from the list. Found that while in the component setup window, clicking on "have disk" and pointing to c:\windows\inf then picking net.inf brings up a new component window that does show briefcase as available for installation. When I get time to look at a complete list of components, I'll see what else is missing and see if I can list the steps to fix that too.