This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

No Yahoo Pages Load-none

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

click start>run and paste the folloing into the box

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

hit enter

A window will pop up with a few files in it, one of them will be called hosts

Rename that file to hostsBAK, close the window and internet explorer, then reopen IE and try to go to yahoo.

Let us know how it turns out.

:D
Thanks for the quick reply. Windows cannot find C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc It asked me to do a search for it. No results there. This is Win ME of course ? Btw– My ISP is sending a specialist to my house Monday. I will report back Merry Christmas
c:\windows\ See if you have one there slimdan. Make sure you have selected to show all hidden files and folders. Open My Computer, and select Options from the View menu, click on the View tab, select "Show all files", press ok. Hosts should not be hidden but just in case. Some systems do not have a hosts file. If there is not one there then you most likely don't have one. After selecting to show hidden files as per the above instructions, you can search "hosts" to be 100% sure.
Well this is getting down and dirty isn't it. Close your browser Go into the spybotS&d program, click the immunize icon then click the undo button. Exit spybot Try to go to yahoo I will check back in a little bit, am working on more ideas.
WOW !!!!!
I got my Christmas present early this year.
Rand1038 is THE man/lady ! Thanks very very very much sir/ma'am.
What the heck happened here rand1038 ? This problem had developed even before
I downloaded Spybot S&D
Merry Christmas to everyone that helped out.Yeeeehaaaaa I have Yahoo !
I will have to do some checking on this. It is possible that spybot's BHO got corrupted or it may be set to block spyware called Redsheriff which yahoo is connected with. Redsheriff is a tracking service which keeps track of what sites you visit, what you download, etc and reports this information to its clients. Would you be willing to reenable the immunize feature and see if you have yahoo problems, then disable it again and see if you can visit the site to verify the problem? Do this before you update. Perhaps there is a bug there that we can help the folks at spybot to spot. or maybe a server was routing your packets wrong and it was just a coincidence that things started working at this particular time I have spybot with the immunize feature enabled and I can visit geocities without a problem. If you would check for me and let me know if your copy is up to date (use the check for updates button, download any that are available). Even if you just got the program, it still may require an update (like getting antivirus updates for new viruses that came out after your AV was made). Thanks for any help you can give on this. I highly recommend that you continue to use Spybot to scan your system for malware, even if you don't use the immunize feature, it is one of the best out there. Glad I could help. Nice job sticking with it sliman.
Rand, RESULTS: Immunnized again- Yahoo pages opened fine I did need an update>Important tools update<-sorry didn't see the release date- Yahoo pages continue to load fine. If this was caused by me not updating as needed I'm SORRY- I did noticed that my start up page went to -aboutblank- after the immunization Next ? Do I have to live with these cookies(I gather they are cookies) from Yahoo or can my firewall block them ? All is well - thanks again -
Thanks for the info slimdan

To reset your start page in IE, go to the site you want to use for it then click tools>internet options>use current (under the Home Page heading).

You can dump cookies when done surfing, click tools>internet options>delete cookies. You shold clear the file cache that way also periodically(delete files button). Bear in mind that some cookies store configuration choices for a particular site (such as this board, which uses a cookie to remember you when you log in again if you choose that option). Spybot will list tracking cookies after a scan also.

A nice tool for managing cookies can be found here:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm
It only works with internet explorer and will allow you to selectively keep/delete or auto refuse individual cookies.

Read the red link in my signature for information on recommended browser configuration and some nice free tools (I highly recommend spywareblaster, be sure to use its system snapshot feature).


:D
This case is closed thanks to rand1038 :D Great Work ! Merry Christmas Update:> that cookies wall program rocks !
Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending
Email to Zero or
Email to cnm or
Email to Coyote
Choose only one of the above
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post, any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.

Others please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI