I've cleaned up all I can think of on this PC still no Yahoo pages will load. Heres my log :
Thanks in advance !
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 12:42:58 PM, on 12/14/2003
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Don't worry about the registry keys in your second post, if there was a known problem there it would show in the Hijackthis log. The .dll referenced there is legitimate. Do not change anything in those keys unless someone in the expert, moderators or anministrator group tells you to.
Most likely your problem is caused by this
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
so tick that in hijackthis
tick these also
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
Unless you want IE to open with this blank stationary background tick this also
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
Tell Hijackthis to "fix checked"
If you used a progam to lock acess to the internet options area of IE then tell it to quit doing that (Spybot S&D click the immunize icon and clear the check box for "lock IE control panel…")
Reboot
Find and delete this folder: C:\PROGRA~1\DAP
Open internet explorer and click tools>internet options>security>restricted sites >sites and make sure yahoo is not in there, if it is then take it out
Scan with Hijackthis and post another log in this thread
Thanks gang-still no Yahoo pages.
Heres the latest scan :
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 3:16:22 PM, on 12/16/2003
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Check your firewall setting and make sure you don't have yahoo blocked there.
This is malware
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
See this site for info: http://www.safersite.com/PestInfo/d/downlo…erator_plus.asp
What is this, I saw the freeware site for it, did your problems start after installing it? You have the executeable in your start menu folder by the way, only a shortcut should be there. Probably not a big deal but bad practice.
O4 - Startup: T Clock.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\TClock.exe
Last question first. The T-clock/ PC clock.? I've had it for years with no problems. I have turned the firewall off and still can get into Yahoo pages. Besides,if it was blocked it would popup asking for permission to access or set rules. I noticed that when Yahoo attempts to load page it used to say going to IP for yahoo but now it says www.yahoo.com but still doesn't load of course.Probably irrelavant.Did I answer your questions ?
What next ? Here's a new scan Thanks for all your efforts !!!
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 7:06:36 PM, on 12/16/2003
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = iexplore
That is a strange log, I never saw that entry in any of your other logs. Please rescan and post another log (that one ends and then starts again with the R entries). After you do that there is something else I want to see.
In hijackthis, click the config button on the right, then the misc tools button at the top of the page. You will see a button "Generate StartupList Log" and under that will be an option box, check the "list also minor sections(full)" option then push the button, post the output of the log here.
Also, when you try to go to Yahoo, what happens in the browser window? Do you get a "page failed to load" or does another page come up instead?
Thanks Slimdan
What happens if you attempt to go to [removed]?
Open a DOS box (Start>run>comand) And type ping [removed].
If that works, try this ping yahoo.com.
Let us know the results.
Heres the startup list first : Also I cannot ping Yahoo either.
When I try to go to Yahoo it goes here: http://www.google.com/search?q=www.yahoo.com It used to say page cannot be displayed.I may be getting a hint here. I entered a registry entry so that my search button takes me to Google.Is that the problem ? Is this all the info you need (below) ? Thanks guys!!
StartupList report, 12/17/2003, 2:30:53 PM
StartupList version: 1.52
Started from : C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACK\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
Detected: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
* Using default options
* Showing rarely important sections
==================================================
C:\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\System\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\Command\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Explorer.exe: not present
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;"C:\Program Files\DiskeeperLite\"
SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_03\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_03\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
————————————————–
C:\WINDOWS\WINSTART.BAT listing:
C:\WINDOWS\tmpcpyis.bat
————————————————–
C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT listing:
mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M
————————————————–
Checking for superhidden extensions:
.lnk: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
.pif: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
.exe: not hidden
.com: not hidden
.bat: not hidden
.hta: not hidden
.scr: not hidden
.shs: HIDDEN!
.shb: HIDDEN!
.vbs: not hidden
.vbe: not hidden
.wsh: not hidden
.scf: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: NO!)
.url: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
.js: not hidden
.jse: not hidden
————————————————–
Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:
(no name) - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT\SDHELPER.DLL - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}
————————————————–
Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:
Video Reminder.job
Tune-up Application Start.job
Maintenance-Defragment programs.job
Maintenance-ScanDisk.job
Maintenance-Disk cleanup.job
These are back in the Hijack log? Did you accidently post an old log?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O9 - Extra button: Run DAP (HKLM)
Except for these aforementioned items, your log is clean.
Open internet explorer, go to tools>internet options
click the delete cookies button, click the delete files button, check the "delete all offline content" button. Close internet explorer and reopen it, See how it works.
The fact that you can neither ping nor visit the site suggests that it is being blocked at a low level, my guess would be the firewall. You are being redirected to google and the reason for this does not appear in the hijackthis log. Double check your firewall settings,it does DNS Caching so see if there is a way to purge the DNS cache, maybe an invalid entry got stuck in there.
The continuing saga:
A ping trace shows my Yahoo trace timesout @ hop 14 out of 20 hops. I have contacted Roadrunner they are no help. I may just go get drunk instead.
Beyond aggravated now!
THANKS again for trying.
Guest,
I cleared the firewall DNS cache -I have disabled the firewall-Yahoo is Not being blocked there. Trust me.
I have uninstalled DAP and re-installed it again to check that-
btw–Thats the reason you see that DAP key again–
Cleared cookies and Temps. I CAN access Yahoo I.M.
For whatever that's worth. But no geocites or anything else owned or related to Yahoo.
I thank you for the reply and suggestions - But,This is getting ugly.
Please respond with more ideas. Before I get drunk !
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI