Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gikster

gikster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:58 AM

HI, Can anyone please help me. When I turn on my computer a siren noise starts up. It used to stop when windows loaded but has started getting worse and is just on constantly. Sometimes it stops when I restart a couple of times. My fans seem to be working fine. Does anyone have any suggestions???? Its really buggin me!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 16 September 2004 - 01:49 AM

is it comming from your monitor..? If you have a CRT monitor (tube...not a flatsscreen) then its best you never turn it off. Powering them off and on shortens there life.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 gikster

gikster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:07 AM

Hi, No, its coming from inside the CPU. The bottom of it i think

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Authentic Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:34 AM

You'll need to open the box and try to localize it. Many video cards have attached fans, and that would be one place to look. Power supplies can make a whining noise too.
Derfram
~~~~~~

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Proud Member of ASAP
Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

#5 gikster

gikster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:35 AM

Cany see exactly where its coming from but did open it up and its coming from the card right at the bottom.

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Authentic Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:31 AM

If that is the same place the monitor plugs into, then that would be the video card. Many video cards have built-on fans, and if dust or debris has gotten into the fan, or if the fan is failing, it could be making that noise. You will need to remove the card to physically inspect it. Blow out any dust and dirt, then reinstall being sure nothing is intruding into the fan.
Derfram
~~~~~~

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Proud Member of ASAP

#7 gikster

gikster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

Think it may be that card. What does the fan look like? cant see anything that looks like a fan

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Authentic Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:54 PM

Depends on exactly what video card it is. In general, the fan will be 1-2 inches square and quite thin. It should be obvious once the card is out of the machine.

One way to confirm if it is that fan is to temporarily block the fan from turning. Reinstall the card and reboot the machine. If it's quiet you found your source. Don't leave it on for any longer than neccessary or the video card may overheat.
Derfram
~~~~~~

Proud Member of ASAP