This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Need Help To Clean Up After Removal Of Aboutblank

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi After removal of AboutBlank, my Hotmail will not work at all. I downloaded MSN messenger software again, but it still will not left me sign in.. Also having trouble with Internet Explorer. It works, but will not let me sign into my email account. I tried to download an updated version of IE from Microsoft, but on install, it says that a file is missing from the download, and to let it auto-download again to get the missing file, and then it will complete the install. But it does not. It re-downloads, but says file still missing.. I can however, sign into my yahoo email using Mozilla browsers, which I installed after I completed the AboutBlank removal. Please let me know how I can correct this. Thank You.
Give this a shot:

Goto: Start > Run

Then paste this into the command line:

RegSvr32 Softpub.dll

And hit .

Post back and let me know how it goes… :)
Hi Micah I ran that command line in the Run box of the Start menu. It did not produce a log. It only gave a small box that said: RegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded. The only option was to click "ok" and close the message box.. Thanks
Hi Webster10,

I don't know whether this will solve any of your problems but it fixed mine. I was having trouble with my internet and error messages every time I logged on. I also could not log into my hotmail account and it never said I had any new messages even though I knew I did.
Anyways, I don't know if it will help and maybe Micah could give thoughts too, but I got rid of my problem on that issue. There is a program called Stinger.exe you can download from the McAfee website, it cures backdoor viruses my Norton, Ad-aware, or firewall never picked up.
Maybe this will solve your woes, here is the website url:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Let me know if it works!!
Hi Micah & Firedog (oops on the first time, had the stinger renoval program on my mind) I ran stinger.exe. It scanned for 1 hour 20 minutes. It did not find anything. Any suggestions for next step? Thanks.
Hi Guys Good News, Bad News. Good news – I fixed the problem with Hotmail and the sign in to my yahoo mail in Internet Explorer. I discovered this by accident – the ususal learning method. I tried to sign in on Yahoo to my mailbox, but it just stayed at the same verification screen asking for my password. Not rejecting, justing causing the password to disappear and then ask for it again. It already had my userid saved in memory. So decided to click on "sign in as a different user." with the thought that the probleme may be in the memory of my userid. So I clicked to sign out, and then signed in as the same user and password. Now I got the error message — Browser not accepting cookies. and to reset my browser to accept cookies. After the About Blank trouble, I had raised the cookie policy to high, and did not want to lower it. Then I found on the cookies page of Interet Options of IE that I could tell it to always accept cookies from certain websites even if the signature was not verified. So I told it to always accept cookies from www. yahoo.com for my yahoo mail and from www.msn.com for my hotmail. Now they are both working right. Bad News — In Windows, not IE, but in windows, when I click the "_" to shrink a window it does not shrink it, it closes it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ok After my post yesterday, the shrink button started working again. But I will post a log. PS. ZoneAlarm just asked to update itself, and while at downloads.com, it showed a download for Register Mechanic 3.0, to reset the register keys. so I downloaded it and will run it , too. B)
Hey Micah

Here is the lastest HJT log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:06:41 AM, on 9/16/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC_CLIENT_SECURITY\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC_CLIENT_SECURITY\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSJVXD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC_CLIENT_SECURITY\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\cj7kgsw3.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN0\YCOMP5_5_5_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\ACROBAT\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1015454D-4602-8817-B42A-1A3B9D49B1BA} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN0\YCOMP5_5_5_0.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] "SysTray.Exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] "Rundll32.exe " powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPSCANMonitor] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpsjvxd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] "C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe " -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] "loadqm.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] "Rundll32.exe " powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] "mstask.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] "C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\rtvscn95.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\defwatch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WINPH32.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINPH32.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] "RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NoAds] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\NOADS\NOADS.EXE"
O4 - Startup: Resource Meter.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\RSRCMTR.EXE
O4 - Startup: msnmsgr.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
O4 - Startup: Resume Windows Update Installation.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search Using Copernic - C:\Program Files\Copernic 2001 Basic\Search Extension.htm
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Copernic - {2A465936-E5F0-11D2-91B5-00104B9C4765} - C:\Program Files\Copernic 2001 Basic\Copernic.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2A465934-E5F0-11D2-91B5-00104B9C4765} - C:\Program Files\Copernic 2001 Basic\Copernic.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Launch Copernic 2001 - {2A465934-E5F0-11D2-91B5-00104B9C4765} - C:\Program Files\Copernic 2001 Basic\Copernic.exe
O9 - Extra button: Translate - {99EFB53C-C965-43CF-9F45-52242D134187} - file://C:\Program Files\Copernic 2001 Basic\Translate.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Translate Using Gist-In-Time - {99EFB53C-C965-43CF-9F45-52242D134187} - file://C:\Program Files\Copernic 2001 Basic\Translate.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Dell Home - {08DCFC6C-B6E4-480C-95A4-FC64F37B787E} - http://smbusiness.dellnet.com/ (file missing) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://smbusiness.dellnet.com/
O16 - DPF: {F554B9AB-E6C9-4FA6-BFE7-B3CB24AD5027} (MSN Money Charting) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v10/investor.cab
O16 - DPF: {DFB10676-FBA8-4CC6-8D77-9B322EBB7817} (MSN Money Portfolio Manager) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v10/investor.cab
O16 - DPF: {8DF4F477-0EF7-4AD2-A975-FD124B6F98DA} (MSN Money QuickList) - http://fdl.msn.com/public/investor/v10/investor.cab
O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://sea1fd.sea1.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx
O16 - DPF: {CD17FAAA-17B4-4736-AAEF-436EDC304C8C} (ContentAuditX Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/5805/v1000/…uditControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BE1BDC4F-2AAC-494E-88B1-86B2EE4F2D6D} (CopySafe3 Control) - http://www.artistscope.com/Plugin/Download/Copysafe.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/22047d5922f9a3…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab

THANKS …..

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI