JackPug
Topic Starter
First, Thank You for this Forum.
Following is a narrative of my problems, starting with where I believe they began and ending with a Hijackthis log file.
I'm hoping the narrative might educate/prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
I received a spam email from someone like "Walter Jones" indicating I'd been approved for a loan.
Outlook Express showed an attachment. I have Outlook set to remove practically all file attachments. I was curious (= stupid) and opened the email. Outlook hadn't removed the attachment. It was I believe a gif file. Text in the email asked you to click on a link? to see your loan approval. I kinda panicked and without opening the attachment, closed the email and deleted it.
That's when all hell broke lose. Norton flashed messages of infection (Counter, VerifierBug, and Worker class trojans), and at the same time something called AdDestroyer and VirtualBouncer? downloaded to my PC.
I think I was able to manually delete AdDestroyer and Virtual Bouncer, and Norton took care of the Trojans, but now when I open IE, I get popups and re-direction to other sites.
I've used Ad-Aware several times. It deletes 6 regkey, 2 file, and 1 folder "Ezula" entries. But they will re-appear after using IE or restarting the computer.
SpyBot also found several items and fixed them.
A couple re-boots ago, it also warned me about 2 System Startup Global Entries: 1. Value Added. New data: C:\Windows\system32\dfviewc.exe 2. Value Deleted. Old data: C:\Windows\system32\pnmodemd.exe.
I instructed it to Deny the changes.
After all the above happened, I went to the MicroSoft Website and downloaded and installed updates for XP.
HijackThis Logfile:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:43:08 PM, on 9/10/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S3apphk.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citianywhere\CAPing.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPMon32.exe
C:\Program Files\JazzyMail\JMSrvr.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Web Offer\wo.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Shadow\ShadowBar.exe
C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HoWack\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us5.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {20EC3D2D-33C1-4C9D-BC37-C2D500688DA2} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PreloadApp] c:\hp\drivers\printers\photosmart\hphprld.exe c:\hp\drivers\printers\photosmart\setup.exe -d
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3apphk] S3apphk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [checktime] c:\program files\HPSelect\Frontend\ct.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpinstantsupport] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\bin\matcliwrapper.exe" "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\" -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAPing] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citianywhere\CAPing.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe" -l
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JazzyMail] C:\Program Files\JazzyMail\JMSrvr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VBouncer] C:\PROGRA~1\VBouncer\VirtualBouncer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pnmodemd] C:\WINDOWS\System32\pnmodemd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eZWO] C:\PROGRA~1\Web Offer\wo.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp center UI.lnk = C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Shadow\ShadowBar.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp center.lnk = C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
O9 - Extra button: MktBrowser - {17A27031-71FC-11d4-815C-005004D0F1FA} - C:\Program Files\MarketBrowser\lmt\MarketBrowser_Launch.xpy
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MarketBrowser - {17A27031-71FC-11d4-815C-005004D0F1FA} - C:\Program Files\MarketBrowser\lmt\MarketBrowser_Launch.xpy
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200207…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1094547758045
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6B4788E2-BAE8-11D2-A1B4-00400512739B} (PWMediaSendControl Class) - http://www.rimfiremedia.com/code//PWActiveXImgCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BD8667B7-38D8-4C77-B580-18C3E146372C} (Creative Toolbox Plug-in) - http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/cp/install/Crusher.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AC676CEA-96BF-4619-BCE0-B5E0DD1AA8EC}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186
Following is a narrative of my problems, starting with where I believe they began and ending with a Hijackthis log file.
I'm hoping the narrative might educate/prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
I received a spam email from someone like "Walter Jones" indicating I'd been approved for a loan.
Outlook Express showed an attachment. I have Outlook set to remove practically all file attachments. I was curious (= stupid) and opened the email. Outlook hadn't removed the attachment. It was I believe a gif file. Text in the email asked you to click on a link? to see your loan approval. I kinda panicked and without opening the attachment, closed the email and deleted it.
That's when all hell broke lose. Norton flashed messages of infection (Counter, VerifierBug, and Worker class trojans), and at the same time something called AdDestroyer and VirtualBouncer? downloaded to my PC.
I think I was able to manually delete AdDestroyer and Virtual Bouncer, and Norton took care of the Trojans, but now when I open IE, I get popups and re-direction to other sites.
I've used Ad-Aware several times. It deletes 6 regkey, 2 file, and 1 folder "Ezula" entries. But they will re-appear after using IE or restarting the computer.
SpyBot also found several items and fixed them.
A couple re-boots ago, it also warned me about 2 System Startup Global Entries: 1. Value Added. New data: C:\Windows\system32\dfviewc.exe 2. Value Deleted. Old data: C:\Windows\system32\pnmodemd.exe.
I instructed it to Deny the changes.
After all the above happened, I went to the MicroSoft Website and downloaded and installed updates for XP.
HijackThis Logfile:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:43:08 PM, on 9/10/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S3apphk.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citianywhere\CAPing.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPMon32.exe
C:\Program Files\JazzyMail\JMSrvr.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Web Offer\wo.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Shadow\ShadowBar.exe
C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HoWack\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://us5.hpwis.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://srch-us5.hpwis.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {20EC3D2D-33C1-4C9D-BC37-C2D500688DA2} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PreloadApp] c:\hp\drivers\printers\photosmart\hphprld.exe c:\hp\drivers\printers\photosmart\setup.exe -d
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3apphk] S3apphk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [checktime] c:\program files\HPSelect\Frontend\ct.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpinstantsupport] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\bin\matcliwrapper.exe" "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\" -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAPing] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citianywhere\CAPing.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe" -l
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JazzyMail] C:\Program Files\JazzyMail\JMSrvr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VBouncer] C:\PROGRA~1\VBouncer\VirtualBouncer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pnmodemd] C:\WINDOWS\System32\pnmodemd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\pchbutton.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eZWO] C:\PROGRA~1\Web Offer\wo.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp center UI.lnk = C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Shadow\ShadowBar.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp center.lnk = C:\Program Files\hp center\137903\Program\BackWeb-137903.exe
O9 - Extra button: MktBrowser - {17A27031-71FC-11d4-815C-005004D0F1FA} - C:\Program Files\MarketBrowser\lmt\MarketBrowser_Launch.xpy
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MarketBrowser - {17A27031-71FC-11d4-815C-005004D0F1FA} - C:\Program Files\MarketBrowser\lmt\MarketBrowser_Launch.xpy
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200207…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1094547758045
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6B4788E2-BAE8-11D2-A1B4-00400512739B} (PWMediaSendControl Class) - http://www.rimfiremedia.com/code//PWActiveXImgCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BD8667B7-38D8-4C77-B580-18C3E146372C} (Creative Toolbox Plug-in) - http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/cp/install/Crusher.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AC676CEA-96BF-4619-BCE0-B5E0DD1AA8EC}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186