Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Ca To Offer Free Antivirus And Firewall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 08:53 PM

http://www3.ca.com/P...e.asp?CID=52733
CA To Offer Free Antivirus And Firewall Software To Windows Users Worldwide

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

Register there to obtain it.
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Guest_shanmuga_*

Guest_shanmuga_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 12:16 AM

Free 12-month software subscription offer expires on 30.06.2004. What will be renewal subscription rates? Anybody tried it ?

#3 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 05:26 AM

I use it now, the offer ends on that date, the free trial lasts one year from the date you install it during this period the pricing is on the website
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#4 projectX

projectX

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:35 PM

I hate to be the pessimist in the group, but if I understood the press release, this is an MS-sponsered "freebie". Can we trust this offer? I've decided I don't trust it. You can't view the "offer" unless you accept their cookies. I don't know about e-Trust, but that's something MS does on a daily basis. I have a feeling my current firewall, Kerio, wouldn't like it either.

Edited by projectX, 30 January 2004 - 05:39 PM.

#5 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:20 PM

I have been using Computer Associate's products going on about 5 years now, no complaints on my side, they do a tremendous job... Each person will have thier own opinion though...

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

#6 projectX

projectX

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:30 PM

Each person will have thier own opinion though...

First, great site, Coyote. Anyway. I don't know anything about CA products, and do not want anyone to think I'm speaking badly of them. I just don't trust anything that MS makes, sells, or "backs-up". Better paranoid than sorry, right? :ph34r:

#7 winsux

winsux

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:04 AM

So far most of what M$ has offered as free has ended in disaster. MSNM, Media Player etc., so I too feel a little apprehensive about it. But may the fates be with those who choose it.

#8 Weatherlawyer

Weatherlawyer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:29 PM

Microsoft has been dogged by security breaches forever. With governemts tightening up on spam and with users getting more knowledgeable and suspicious, it makes sense for MS to do this sort of thing. It's a long term investment. It's called keeping the customer satisfied.

#9 Nick

Nick

Retired Staff

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 02:39 AM

If you ordered the Windows security update cd , you get a second disc that has the EZ armor stuff on it with the same 1 year free trial.
Posted Image

#10 k3dc

k3dc

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Musician, Radio Host and Producer<br>Ham Radio Operator, Opera Lover<br>General Curmudgeon and Tightwad<br>Hater of Malware

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

Well, it can't be any worse than the McAfee Internet Security 6 that I just paid mucho bux for. <_< That thing is a real bug farm, for sure! :angry: Computer Associates has had a good reputation (AFAIK) for a long time, and some of the best things M$ has done in the past (like putting third-party features that really WORKED WELL in their old DOS 5) have come from outside Redmond,WA. Maybe they're doing that again (I hope). At any rate, I just sent for it. Then, I read in this thread that this is the same package that's being included in the CD they were offering (and that I ordered about a month ago). So, I guess I'll have one for my daughter. :) This also looks like the same package Roadrunner is offering to all their customers. If it's a come-on, there will be a lot of people coming on, I'll bet. :P Good luck to us all.

#11 k3dc

k3dc

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Musician, Radio Host and Producer&lt;br&gt;Ham Radio Operator, Opera Lover&lt;br&gt;General Curmudgeon and Tightwad&lt;br&gt;Hater of Malware

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:32 PM

For anyone that's interested; JUST IN CASE ANYONE SHOULD RIDE UP ON AN AARDVARK AND ASK YOU, The version offered by Microsoft is DIFFERENT from the one that's being offered by Roadrunner to their customers. I don't know what the differences are, but the one from M$ is about 2 MB bigger! Even by today's bloatware standards, that will hold quite a bit of code... ;) Now, I wonder how those sizes (9.2 MB and 11.2 MB, respectively) compare to what's coming out on the CD set from M$. It's a bit curious, that's all.